What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Japan, girl growing up, geisha

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (knittingmaniac) | 4 comments For the life of me I can't remember the name of this book ... it was a story about a Japanese girl. She starts out in her home town with her mother and her mother can't afford to keep her so she sends her away (or sells her, I can't remember which). The girl becomes a slave in a house, but then a noble Japanese man meets her ... she's a geisha somewhere along the way too.
The title had the word "heaven" in it .. I think.
Help help help!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (brisgirl) | 11 comments Hi Carissa,

Are you thinking of The Embers of Heaven by Alma Alexander??

cheers, Rach

message 3: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (knittingmaniac) | 4 comments No :( but that does look like a good book :)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Rips | 1 comments Memoirs of a Geisha

message 5: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel 101 Ways; (isbn13: 9780553110999)?

The story moves on to her daughter's life in the U.S.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments "A Step from Heaven" or "Of Nightingales that Weep"?

Shots in the dark.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments "A Step from Heaven" or "Of Nightingales that Weep"?

Shots in the dark.

message 8: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (knittingmaniac) | 4 comments No no and no :( waaah *lol* I will figure this out one day yet :) Thanks for trying though!

message 9: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 66 comments I know you said it was set in Japan but it sounds a lot like one of the stories in "The Joy Luck Club." I know that 's probably not it but it sounds very similar.

message 10: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (knittingmaniac) | 4 comments Nope :( but maybe I'll read that one :)

message 11: by Noelle (new)

Noelle (bellie) | 3 comments It SOUNDS like Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 12: by Tia (new)

Tia | 6 comments Is it "Fallen Leaves"?

message 13: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 58 comments is it eight million gods and demons??

message 14: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 40 comments Daughter of a Samurai?

message 15: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments What year did you read it?

message 16: by April Ann (last edited Mar 14, 2009 08:50AM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka, published in 2002.

Summary: In Japan in 1861, Lord Genji, a young nobleman with a gift for prophecy, joins forces with two Christian missionaries, a mysterious geisha, and a legendary swordsman to embark on a harrowing odyssey toward an ultimate battle.

It does sound like Memoirs of a Geisha but it was her father who sold her and her sister.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (smackley) | 75 comments memiors of a geisha is really sounding right are you sure?

message 18: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments Was it modern? If not it could be Kara Dalkey's Nightengale -- I don't remember exactly when that's set but at least a couple hundred years ago.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments The Nightingale was set in Heian Japan (11th or 12th century I think). Also, her mother is dead before the book starts. And she ends up in an arranged marriage, but she doesn't ever become a slave, IIRC.

Maybe Autobiography Of A Geisha?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36973 comments Mod
Carissa, are you still looking for this book?

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
I sent off a PM to Carissa. She hasn't been active in a very long time, so we might not hear from her. If we don't hear soon, the next Mod to read this could move it down to Abandoned

message 22: by Jk0508 (new)

Jk0508 | 13 comments Geisha of Gion, by Mineko Iwasaki? I read it after Memoirs of a Geisha and much preferred it. This one actually is autobiographical though, and she even has photos of herself with celebrities, including a very young Prince Charles.