Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > Lord of the Rings - the Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henric (new)

Henric (SillyOldBear) | 19 comments ...and they walked and they walked and they walked and they walked and they walked...then they ran some and fought some and then they walked and walked and walked...

The only character in the whole "EPIC" trilogy that is likable and has substance is Samwise Gamgee. How I wish he(JrrrT) would have written a coule of books about him...

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Sacrilege! Blasphemy! Heresy!

Take a look at my shelves, I read a lot of fantasy. However, I'll admit that it took me two tries to make it through The Fellowship of the Ring and I couldn't make it through the first chapter of The Two Towers. It's not that the trilogy is awful, it really isn't. Tolkein had the right stuff. But, I found it incredibly boring. You're right, it's a lot of walking, walking, walking. I really don't like epic quest fantasies and LOTR is the grandaddy of them all.

(Don't get me going on Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy.)

message 3: by Henric (new)

Henric (SillyOldBear) | 19 comments Sandi wrote: "Sacrilege! Blasphemy! Heresy!

Oh, thank you! I thought I would be pelted with tomatoes or wet noodles for not agreeing with granddaddy Tolkien...

I never got Pullman.

I don't suppose you have read Robert Jordan...

Hugs,
H

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Nope, I haven't read Robert Jordan. I did read the first volume of Martin's series, and even though I blasted through it, I probably won't read the rest.

message 5: by Henric (new)

Henric (SillyOldBear) | 19 comments You don't want to read the rest...

Wheel of Time

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 7 comments Agreed about LOTR. I forced myself through the trilogy when I was in sixth grade and now I look back and wonder how I made it through. I know I wouldn't have the patience now. It's just page upon page of dry, stilted, overly drawn-out description of battles and journeys about underdeveloped characters that are impossible to relate to. I have to say,the wicked part of me loves to hate this series as so many people love it and great arguments are sure to happen.

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess I find it weird- I loved the Fellowship of the Ring, but I could not get through the Two Towers for the life of me.

All that is burnt into my memory about the second book is the incessant singing of riddles and odd little songs which harvested some supposed deep, hidden meaning. Then for the remainder of the book they were wandering around on the shoulders of Treebeard talking about god knows what. Eek. Not what I would call a captivating read.

I'm hoping one day I will be able to appreciate it, because it seems like everyone else does! Maybe I should get all of the world's interesting books out of the way first..

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica | 66 comments I have been a great reader at times in my life. The Two Towers was my Waterloo. I think I started it 6 times, finished it once, and couldn't tell ya what happens. Though I definitely remember all that walking. I, too, loved The Fellowship of the Ring.

message 9: by Henric (last edited Mar 11, 2009 05:35AM) (new)

Henric (SillyOldBear) | 19 comments Jess wrote: "I'm hoping one day I will be able to appreciate it, because it seems like everyone else does!..."

Erica wrote: " Though I definitely remember all that walking..."

Blayre wrote: "It's just page upon page of dry, stilted, overly drawn-out description of battles and journeys about underdeveloped characters that are impossible to relate to..."

The thing is I read all of them when I was in my teens and practically devoured it. Then when I wanted to join the local Tolkien Society, I had to read it again to take their test, and ever since I have hated it - even The Fellowship of the Ring.

I love "The Hobbit"

message 10: by Thirrin (new)

Thirrin | 2 comments okay, I am 15 and I loved all of Tolkein and Pulman I didn't have any trouble reading them, even the style of writing didn't bother me, did any of you like the chronicles of Narnia?

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess I read the Magician's Nephew just a few weeks ago and was not really a fan of it. I wouldn't mind reading the Lion, Witch & the wardrobe though because I hear it's alot better..

message 12: by Erica (last edited Mar 12, 2009 04:29AM) (new)

Erica | 66 comments I won't even tell you how old I am. I read and re-read all of Narnia many times. I was quite young and uncultured, and when some bratty adult tried to tell my sister and me that all was a Christian allegory we denied it indignantly.

When I was younger, I only disliked that last book. There is a shocker about lipstick and stockings; you'll see. Very judgmental.

In retrospect, all the "bad" guys are thinly veiled Middle-Easters, or they seem that way, and I now have mixed feelings about the whole series.

But! Read The Screwtape Letters! It isn't very veiled at all. It is a delightful presentation of how to be a good Christian by illustrating all of the hypocrasies and errors and flaws revealed by, well, hypocrites, who think their "Christianity" makes them actually good. It is really a brillant book, disguised as a fun little diversion.

message 13: by Henric (new)

Henric (SillyOldBear) | 19 comments OK, guys, this thread is about LOTR - start your own damn threads about Narnia and what ever!

message 14: by Terence (new)

Terence (spocksbro) Wow!

It's a wonder human beings can communicate at all considering how differently we all see the world. Don't get me wrong, Henric, I respect your opinion re LotR, I just can't imagine how you came by it ;-)

I LOVE LotR! Boring? I'm amazed at how much action and information Tolkien manages to cram into every chapter (all right, I'll admit Book One of The Fellowship is a bit of a drag).

I'm with you on GRRM, though. I'll read the final volume (assuming GRRM ever finishes the d**n thing) largely 'cuz I've invested time in reading all the preceding ones. They're not "bad" but, lord, he needs an editor - quantity is not quality.

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica | 66 comments Yeah. My bad. It's a loathing thread, too. Sorry.

message 16: by Henric (new)

Henric (SillyOldBear) | 19 comments Erica wrote: "Yeah. My bad. It's a loathing thread, too. Sorry."

Hug

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica | 66 comments Happy face.

message 18: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk I reread LOTR every couple of years, just to make sure I'm not wrong in my opinion of loathing. I read a lot of fantasy. I have the sort of friends that dress up as elves and speak Elvish at each other and write Tengwar as easily as English cursive. Surely there must be something to recommend these books ... no. There isn't. Hasn't been a change in my opinion. None.

They suck.

So did the movies. Seeing the story on the Big Screen with the plot dumbed down to fit two-plus hours didn't help.

Still sucks.