The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 38 comments We all love to read or else we clearly wouldn't spend so much time discussing books. So my question is what/who was your inspiration to start reading? When did your love for reading begin? What's your story when it comes to reading? Here's mine..

My parents always read to me as a child, and I loved it. I would see them reading alot as well, and I just couldn't wait until I was old enough to read. I started reading at a early age because my parents saw I was determined to read. My parents were thrilled at how motivated I was. They worked with me constantly with flash cards and books, and got me Hooked On Phonics. Needless to say I have been addicted to reading since the age that I started at which was was three/four years old and my parents were my inspiration. I can't remember a time in my life without reading.

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments I was not a child looking to read. My mom was quite an avid reader but I didn't get it. I remember in 2nd grade there was a girl, very smart, who LOVED to read, she would sneak read her books while she was supposed to be doing classwork. I didn't understand why she would court punishment for not doing her classwork just to read, more work!

Then in 6th grade a friend of mine was reading Flowers in the Attic. I don't know why, but I decided to read it after her, I think she bullied me into it. I was hooked. I know people mock Andrews, but I loved her books at the time. And they got me into reading, although it was quite a while before I read what most would deem as a 'good' book. But I got there! So, Ms. Andrews, thank you!

PS I wouldn't mind if her ghost writer would stop already though, geesh, recycling plastic is a great idea, but not storylines!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think my parents read to me in the womb. I could read Berenstein Bears books at age 2. I don't ever remember not loving to read.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My mom would read to me every night before I went to bed. We'd read together or she'd let me read to her. Somewhere along the line, I became a bookworm and started reading everything I could get my hands on.

message 5: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments My mom used to read to me all the time. She's really big on reading, always has been. I used to read a 500+ page book a week when I was only five. It was rather ridiculous. There was even a period of time where she had to take my books away because I wasn't sleeping and constantly getting sick and getting in trouble in class.

What's funny is she rarely reads, or makes the time to read herself. I asked her about it recently and she just said that she absolutley loves reading and unfortunately, has a habit of not doing it as much as she should, so when she raised the children she tried to implement the habit of reading into all of us and she'd be thankful if it stuck to just one (there's about twelve kids in my family...freakin Italians, multiply like Gremlins in water I'm tellin ya...). Needless to say, I am the one. WOO! GO ME! That sounds all Matrix style, I am, the one. DUN DUN DUN!

But yeah...seriously guys, I promise I'm really not as crazy as I'm sounding lately.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments Reading was always important in my family. On Christmas Eve my parents would give my sisters and I a gift and it was always a book. On Christmas Day we would have Santa gifts but the parent gift was always that book. We would read and even have a home movie of a lazy Sunday when my mom and my two sisters and I are laying on my parents bed having a "book club" and my youngest sister was "reading" a book even though she was not able to read yet.

message 7: by Sera (new)

Sera My parents never read to me as a child. I'm a first generation American, and my father didn't emigrate to the US until he was 22. In fact, I didn't learn to speak English until I was 4. Ukrainian was my first language. I picked up reading pretty quickly in school, and I always remember that the school used to handout Scholastic books order forms and I used to be able to get a few books that way. I grew up very poor so there was not much money for books. One of my teachers felt sorry for me and paid for a Highlights subscription magazine, which I loved to read for a number of my early years. Around the age of 9, my mother started taking me to the library, because she knew that I loved to read and I could get an unlimited number of books on her card for free. I used to plow through huge stacks over the summer, and both my parents encouraged my reading and to instill in me the importance of a good education. I started reading adult books around the age of 12. My father has never been a reader, and my mother reads the occasional book. It was my grandfather who read all the time, and from whom I believe that I inherited the reading gene.

I think one of the reasons that I buy all the books that I want now is because I was very limited in doing so through my youth and most of my early adult life.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven | 5 comments I read alot as a child. We didn't have a great deal on money so I used to go to the library and sit peacefuly reading. Its strange looking back all thse years as I still remember clearly some of the books I used to read.

Best Regards

Steven Preece
Author of
Amongst The Marines
and
Always A Marine

message 9: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Dee, I'm going to refer to you as Neo from now on. ;)

My parents read to me every night as a kid and books were never in short supply (orders from the Scholastic book club arrived every month) BUT I don't really see this as what made me an avid reader. I liked books well enough and I would read them, but only if there was nothing else to do and I was bored.

It was a friend's book recommendation in middle school that really got me hooked. We both ended up loving the book so much that we would read excerpts aloud to each other and even made a play out of it that we performed for our siblings. That experience really opened me up to how enjoyable reading and sharing reading experiences could be. and THAT is how my love for reading began.

message 10: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments My mom worked in a used bookstore and would take me in to browse for hours on end. She still mails books to me once she's finished! Also, we lived just blocks from the library so my big sis would take me there after school alot while we waited for my mom to get off work. I'm such a bookworm, that the first contest I ever won was in third grade, and it was Monopoly for Reading. I probably still have the certificate somewhere!
It's funny the books that stick with you. I was thinking back about early books, and one still comes to mind. It was called The Dollhouse Murders and I must have read it 10 times when I was a kid.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Ugh! The Dollhouse Murders! I am so jealous. I got that book through the RIF program in school, but it was like a book loan thing and for some reason I didn't get to read it before I had to turn it back in. I have always wondered who killed who in that. I can still VIVIDLY envision the cover of that book!

The one I really remember reading though was the Golden Circle, about a little girl trying to get the $ to buy her mom this circular gold brooch. They were really poor and she wanted her mom to have it so badly and she entered a contest where you could win $75 if your essay won. She won, but by the time she did...well I won't tell you the ending! That made an impression on me!

message 12: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Dee, stop apologizing at the end of every post! You are fabulous already! We love it - "it" being your silliness. So just know you are all that and keep on sharing it with us!