Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What Art/Music/Film/Books Etc. do you think is misunderstood?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What Art/Music/film/books Etc. do you think is misunderstood?

I sometimes think what is usually called "heavy metal" (and I know there are a lot of subgenres) is characterized as stupid because it's loud, and that's not the case at all. Somebody help me out with some good examples.

I stand firm under the idea that "Lost in Translation" is a misunderstood film, by some, anyway. I don't get it when people say, "it's a film about nothing."

You?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That's a strangely tough question.

I think contemporary folk music is often mistakenly looked at as a haven for self-absorbed wannabe hippies. There's some gorgeous music coming out that they call "singer-songwriter" or "alternative country" to keep the Folk stigma off of it.

Sci fi and fantasy are still looked at as multi-volume swords-and-science geek genres, and the boundaries are still hard to transcend. If a mainstream writer puts out something that would best fit into one of those genres, they find another name for it. If a sci-fi author writes something brilliant it will still be too genre to win a Pulitzer.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Performance Art. don't get it. i have been to the Freak Show at Lollapalooza and i have also seen some street corner shows and i gotta tell ya, someone driving railroad spikes into their body or scrubbing laundry onstage is def misunderstood by me

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'll admit it. I've never understood Lemmy's facial hair.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments he would be killa in a charles dickens play

message 6: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) The Bible.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Kate wrote: "KD - exactly, I didn't even get the part in RA's original post where the girl left to find her shoes at the arena, and then her apartment windows were taped shut when she got home? See, I just didn..."

Me either, Kate! :D

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (ghostinmarble) The zombie genre. Brilliant social satire that is too often viewed through the reductive lens of "Braaaaaains....."

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Lots of modern art is misunderstood. People who think their kid can do that are misunderstanding it. Lots of 20th century classical music is misunderstood.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I misunderstand why I am not making mad cash like Frank Stella.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments S T E L L A ! ! !

Hey, Stella!

message 12: by ɯɐɔ (new)

ɯɐɔ (camalama) I feel like poetry is misunderstood...and band. People have the wrong impression in their minds--studious band geeks. Nope.

And 'honors' and 'advance' courses. Substitute teachers expect us to be well behaved, and mature. That never happens. If anything, the honors kids at my old school...we were smart, but not bright, I'll say that much.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Phil wrote: "S T E L L A ! ! !

Hey, Stella!"

:)

message 14: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments The Mandarin (villain of Iron Man 3) was definitely misunderstood, in fact that entire movie sucked. He was supposed to be a magical enemy NOT a fucking ACTOR! (had to rant about that)

Also, I'd say the paranormal genre nowadays. people always seem to think that it should be equated with romance. I just wish that Hollyhood would stop making brain-rot TV series and movies.

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) This one time at band camp...

message 16: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) That is not art. That is attention seeking. Cries for attention. Sad.

message 17: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments the ending of the film Inception. People always think that Cobb wasn't dreaming and that he was in reality-but he wasn't because a) His children don't age and b) the dreidel that he spins, still keeps spinning

message 18: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Never saw it. Never wanted to. The husband saw it 3-4 times...

message 19: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments Amelia wrote: "Never saw it. Never wanted to. The husband saw it 3-4 times..."

the ending was a bit confusing so I watched it about 3 times (on PC)

message 20: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments Frankensteinfelt more like a sad love story than an actual book. I always used to assume that Frankenstein was the monster and not the actual creator/scientist

message 21: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments Love in the Time of Cholera is often misinterpreted as a story of unrequited love. Its more like unfulfilled lust and obsession.

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise Amelia wrote: "This one time at band camp..."

:-)

message 23: by Louise (new)

Louise Maximalism in art (and everywhere else)!
I'm sooooooo tired of minimalism in any shape or form - especially in theatre/opera/musical staging - that it should be in anyway cool is misunderstood! Give me maximalism anytime!
We went to see the play Don Carlos by Schiller, which is a 3 hour long costume drama usually, but this just seemed like a really long and boring dress reharsal, as a briefcase and a bench and some boring clothes were the ONLY props. We left in the first interval.

I don't mind making things modern or different, but if there's no eyecandy/cool effects on stage, I might as well save the 100-200 dollars for a ticket and parking, and listen to the opera cd/audiobook at home... (end of rant v:-)

message 24: by Pat (last edited Jul 25, 2013 04:15AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) Louise wrote: "Maximalism in art (and everywhere else)!
I'm sooooooo tired of minimalism in any shape or form - especially in theatre/opera/musical staging - that it should be in anyway cool is misunderstood! Giv..."

Umm no.

It's the singing that matters. If the production is bad or boring I can close my eyes. If the singing is mediocre, no stage design will save it.

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise still, empty stages and dull costumes with a bucket or some such as the only prop, just makes me feel I've to a certain degree wasted my money (plays are worse than opera I'll admit). The visual stuff is part of the story/performance.

message 26: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) I hate all plays, so I cannot speak on that topic. i would rather do my taxes than have to sit through a play.

message 27: by Louise (new)

Louise How do you stand on musicals then ? :-)

message 28: by Pat (last edited Jul 25, 2013 04:31AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) Louise wrote: "How do you stand on musicals then ? :-)"
Okay on film, pure torture live.
I don't even like operas in English. I loathe how they keep putting some contemporary musical (like Sweeney Todd) on the opera schedule.

message 29: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments Plays can be awfully corny as well as musicals as movies and TV series. I could never stomach Glee and High School Musical.

Also I always assumed that Les Misérables was a play and not a book.

message 30: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Wow, all live theatre is out? Hmmm. To each their own.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the novel The Catcher In The Rye is misunderstood by some.
I read this classic masterpiece and got the message, but I know others who didn't.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Pat wrote: "I loathe how they keep putting some contemporary musical (like Sweeney Todd) on the opera schedule. "

I don't like it either. Apparently, though, it pays for one or two of the real operas.

message 33: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments The musical stylings of:

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Wow. Sad! Not just the Miami Vice clothes but he seems to live in a dollhouse. (At the edge of the world?)

message 35: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Rap is probably misunderstood. I don't understand or appreciate most of it, but maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff.