Books that Changed Our Lives discussion

Do you remember your first?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by HT (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

HT Goodwill | 8 comments Mod
Recently one of my friends rated a children's book called The Monster at the End of This Book starry Grover from Sesame Street and I realized that it, of all books, should be listed here in this group.

I was in 1st grade and I wanted my mom to read me a story, but she was busy in the kitchen. I got this book off the shelf and sat down with it and started to go through it. Suddenly I realized I was reading!

Truthfully, I must have been 'reading' for quite some time, but this was the moment when I consciously realized that I knew how to read and suddenly the whole world opened up to me and I became a reading fanatic.

Of course it was bound to happen, and it could have been any book, but for me, it was Grover and Sesame Street.

Do you remember what you were reading when you suddenly realized you could read?

message 2: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Cindy The first book I read on my own was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. It's a terribly long book, and extremely repetative. I drove my whole family crazy by insisting that I read it over and over again to them. I still remember that excited feeling that I could read!

So, Green Eggs and Ham will always hold a special place in my heart!

message 3: by Tigg (new)

Tigg | 1 comments Hey what a COOOL topic!!
Yes! I also remember my first book. It was about a kitten who liked to climb up the screen door but it was really a tiger and one day he grew up and climbed the door and accidently pulled it down on top of him. No idea what the title was but I remember the total WOW of I CAN READ!! What excited me the most was that when I read it again it was EXACTLY the same. Unlike when I was not quite reading and had to make up bits as I went along.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Avery It makes me sad to read this, because I cannot remember my first book that I read! However, I will say that The Monster at the End of This Book by Grover was and still is one of my most favorite books ever. I purchased probably my fifth copy of it a couple years ago when I started working in a school. My middle schoolers love the book, despite that it's by Sesame Street and they are WAY too old for that, in their sarcastic tones.

message 5: by Mona (new)

Mona | 1 comments I also loved this book as a child and read it to my own children! I remember clearly my grandmother reading me a book about the ABCs and I loved it. I don't remember the name of it, but for D it was a black dog and I always wanted a black dog... and now we have one! :)

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 2 comments The first book I can remember not being able to put down was "The Diary of Ann Frank". I read it all through the 9th grade, and still love it to this day!!!

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Seaton (katecrouch) | 2 comments My first book was looking at pictures in the Encyclopedia, I wanted to be the girl in the circus who rode the horses/elephants. I also poured over the artic animals (A volume :)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Cintron (lisacintron) | 1 comments The only reason I remember the first book that I read entirely on my own is because somehow the copy I checked out from the library was never returned...ooops
The date I checked it out is still on there too and I feel guilty every time I see it.
Anyway, I remember I being transported into another world and couldn't put it down. It was the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I was in second grade.