Inspiration Room discussion

Help! > Elaine's Twisted Flip With No Twist

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) I have this story idea and I've started writing it. It's about a 16/17-year-old girl - Candice Spacek - who is an elite gymnast. The problem is, is that I can't think of a good plot line. Here are some thoughts that I had:

1). I wanted to focus on the team hanging out as a group of friends.

2). She tore her ACL and had to have surgery on her right knee last year and has been having problems getting back into it. She's sort of a "powerhouse" and stuck landings use to be her strongest point, but now she's having troubles with them and is starting to doubt herself.

3). I wanted them to be training for a big competition. Like the U.S. National Championships, or the World Championships, or the Olympics.

Candice's profile:

Name: Candice Spacek
Height: 4' 11''
Appearance: Medium build, dirty blond hair, green eyes
Personality: Sarcastic, likes to joke around and have a fun time, loves comfy clothes, hates high heels
Years in gymnastics: 12yrs.
Family: Mom (Alene), Dad (Doug), and three older brothers (David, Phil, and Jeremy). She's the youngest.
Strongest event: Vault
Weakest event: Uneven Bars
Pets: A white/brown/black Shitzu named Ozzie
Other: Her nickname is Candi, she tore her ACL and had to have surgery on her right knee last year

I need a really good plot idea otherwise it will just be pathetic and lame. Help!!!

Here's an excerpt from what I've written so far:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Hello? Anyone?

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Okay, sorry about that Elaine. This group is like half-dead, even though I think it's a cool idea.

Okay, so let's see, some plots.

1)Maybe her coach gets caught cheating or something, so she has to find a new coach.

2) Hmmm... or, maybe one of her close friends on the team starts taking steroids, and Candi finds out, and she has to deal with the pressure of to tell or not to tell.

3) Or maybe one of her friends whose really good gets pregnant and has to quit, and everyone gets really mad at her for letting them down.

4)You could always just focus on her injury instead of having it as a sub-plot. Make a big deal out of it, like people really hate her because she's taking a spot on the team and still isn't as good as she used to be.

5)Maybe Candi feels like she's letting down her team because of her weakness and injuries.

Those are my ideas, so do with them what you will. :) Hope I helped!

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Thanks Tink! Let me toss them around in my brain for a bit... I'm really open to any suggestions or comments, because through looking through them I can discover what I really want it to be like and what I don't want. Thanks so much!

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller You're welcome. That's what we're here for! I hope they helped. If not, let me know and I'll try and come up with some other ideas.

message 6: by Faye (new)

Faye I guess it depends what kind of book this is... romance, mystery?

Perhaps there she could uncover some scandalous plot to rig the competition she's training for? And hopefully save the day by blowing the lid off the thing.

Perhaps there is a super cute new physiotherapist that helps her learn the meaning of love?

Perhaps there is an evil new physiotherapist that tries experimental performance enhancing drugs on her that ruin her health and career and she is forced into early retirement?

Perhaps there is an seductive new physiotherapist that tries experimental performance enhancing drugs on her that give her superhuman powers that she uses to stop a scandalous plot to rig the competition she is training for, but then gets kicked out because she is a bad rolemodel for today's youth because of her drug use? Then all her time is freed up to lead a scandalous life with her new lover?

Good luck

message 7: by Faye (last edited Mar 11, 2009 09:27PM) (new)

Faye Or,

Perhaps there is an seductive new physiotherapist that tries experimental performance enhancing drugs on her that give her superhuman powers that she uses to stop a scandalous plot to rig the competition she is training for, but then gets kicked out because she is a bad rolemodel for today's youth because of her drug use? The guy takes off, but her friends rally around her.

Perhaps she finds out her mother, an incredibly strict former failed olympic athlete set her up to tear her ACL out of jealousy. Candi becomes an emancipated minor, goes on to recover and win championships, with the support of her friends. Then makes a fortune with a toothpaste sponsorship contract.

message 8: by Elaine (last edited Mar 12, 2009 06:45PM) (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Thanks Faye! Some of your ideas really sparked my imagination! Here is a summery for the book that I came up with by combining some of both Tink's and Faye's suggestions:

The story starts after the tryouts for the competition team (Candice (17) and Aimee (15) get in) and a few days before the two leave for training (shows the girls in their home gym, school, and families).
Aimee and Candi fly out to join the rest of the US team (look up location) with their coach and personal tutors. At the training gym, they meet Q, a cute 19-year-old physiotherapist trainy. Q and Candi get to know and fall in love with each other. Candi then finds out that Aimee is being given steroids. Aimee doesn't think much of it and shows Candi the notes she always gets with the drugs. They are signed Q. Candi breaks up with Q and is terribly mad at him for not only lying and deceiving her, but for hurting her friends as well. Q says he didn't do it and is sad – both are heartbroke. Candi struggles with telling the authorities because she knows that they would have to disqualify Aimee. Finally, she decides to do the right thing and turn the drugs in. When she goes to the gym to do so, she is met by the police, the heads of the competition, and her coach. They have found a large stash of steroids in her locker and she is going to be disqualified. Just then, Aimee walks in and, seeing what is happening, bravely steps forward and claims that the drugs are hers. With a little probing, she turns in Q. Now she is disqualified and Q is fired. Q is still trying to make Candi believe that it wasn't him. Together, Q, Candi, and Aimee discover the true source of the drugs. Aimee's mom, a failed Olympic gymnast, was so desperate to have Aimee win that she was the one who gave her the drugs and set it up to look like Q did it. When Aimee's mom finds out that Candi knows about the drugs, she decides to frame her in order to get her out of the way. (She has a grudge on Candi for getting in in the first place and taking up a spot in the team. She feels that Candi is not at her best performance level and that she is dampening the chances for Aimee to win.) In the end, all is resolved. Aimee is still disqualified, but Q gets his job back. Q and Candi get back together and Candi (with the rest of the US team) wins the competition. (Throughout the whole book, Candi is struggling with her confidence with her ACL. At the end she overcome it.)

(No, Q is not his real name. I just haven't come up with a name yet so I used a letter.)

How does that sound?

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Oh, yes, and makes a fortune with a toothpaste sponsorship contract. LOL! Not sure if that will make the final edit (if I ever get that far), but... =)

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) I even found a good song for it!!! What Have You Done by Within Temptation is perfect for when Candi thinks out that Q (he really needs a name!) is giving steriods to Aimee!!! =D

Lyrics:

Would you mind if I hurt you?
Understand that I need to
Wish that I had other choices
than to harm the one I love

What have you done now!

I know I’d better stop trying
You know that there’s no denying
I won’t show mercy on you now
I know, should stop believing
I know, there’s no retrieving
It’s over now, what have you done?

What have you done now!

I , I’ve been waiting for someone like you
But now you are slipping away ...oh
Why, why does fate make us suffer?
There’s a curse between us, between me and you

What have you done! What have you done!
What have you done now!
What have you done now!

Would you mind if I killed you?
Would you mind if I tried to?
Cause you have turned into my worst enemy
You carry hate that I don’t feel
It’s over now
What you done?

What have you done now!

I , I’ve been waiting for someone like you
But now you are slipping away...oh What have you done now!
Why, why does fate make us suffer?

What have you done now!
What have you done now!
What have you done now, What have you done?...

I will not fall, won’t let it go
We will be free when it ends

I, I’ve been waiting for someone like you
But now you are slipping away ...oh What have you done now!
Why, why does fate make us suffer

I, I’ve been waiting for someone like you
But now you are slipping away ...oh What have you done now!
Why, why does fate make us suffer

message 11: by Faye (new)

Faye Sounds like you got it all covered! Good luck with the drafting.

message 12: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Good luck and happy writing! I'm glad we could help you out.

message 13: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) It's all thanks to you guys! I'm exited to write it now that I know where it's going! =)

message 14: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) You people have already helped so much, but I have another question for you:

Do you have any name suggestions for Q?

message 15: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller :-)

Let's see...

Adrian
Anthony
Brandon
David
Jacob
Shay
Zack

That's all I've got at the mo- so sorry. :(

message 16: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Thanks!

Hmm...I like Adrian. I was thinking something along those lines, like Aden or Adrian. LIKE it!

Anthony's good too and David...

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller :-) Whatever works for you!

message 18: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (caladhiel) Yeah, I think I'll just wait and see what name comes out when I start to write about him.

message 19: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller That's a good idea.