Janet Evanovich Book Group discussion

One For the Money - Jan. discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Hi all:)

Opening up the thread for January's discussion on One For the Money!

What were your first impressions of Joe?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissaceo) | 4 comments My 1st impression of [young] Joe was that he was a creep. Then we got to know the adult Joe and WOW did I do a 180 in a hurry. Yummy!

As my friend Kathi helped me understand, despite the fact that Joe wants to change Steph from a reckless bounty hunter to a more typical burg girl, I appreciate how much he loves Steph and only wants her to be safe. I also like that he is open with how he feels for Steph.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 221 comments Mod
Joe is definitely a man's man. I have always pictured him to be a little slimy smooth though. That fact that he seduced her in a bakery is a crack up! I always love the first book of every series and this one is no exception.

message 4: by chris (new)

chris (antsissy1) | 16 comments My first impression of Joe was that he was soo good looking that he always got what he want. He didn't have to make too much of an effort to be charming or romantic he probably only had to smile and seduce!
By the end of the book I was IN LOVE with Joe!!! In his heart he finds it difficult that Stephanie is an independent woman who wants him but doesn't necessarily want to need him! Joe wants to be needed and loved and settle down with a girl from the burg. In his egotistical way he thinks he can change Steph but realizes he loves her and wants to protect her. He really does a change towards the end of the book!

message 5: by Emily (last edited Jan 08, 2008 05:04AM) (new)

Emily Melissa, I thought Joe seemed like a creep in the beginning too! Later of course I changed my mind though. I can't even pinpoint where in the book my opinion of him started to change. I'll have to go back and look at the book again.

Nicole, I definitely agree Joe's got alot of machismo! So full of macho confidence each time he escaped from Stephanie in this one.

Chris, I have to admit that Joe always getting whatever he wanted when he flashed a smile kinda bugged me in the beginning, although I quickly got over that. I love that as much as he's trying to accept her independence he's always trying to protect Stephanie at the same time.

Favorite moment from the first book?
Mine would have to be when Joe handcuffs herin her bathroom, completely hysterical!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenniferjuniper) At first I thought Joe was a jerk, but I also predicted there would be some redeeming features. I definitely knew he was a love interest, but I couldn't figure out why because he was such a creep in the beginning. Now, of course, I love him. His character has definitely grown into something a little more respectable.

message 7: by chris (new)

chris (antsissy1) | 16 comments My favorite moment from the first book (and so many of the others) was my introduction to Grandma Mazur at the table when Mom tries to fix up Stephanie with Bernie. I laugh out loud when she pulls out the gun and fires and of course there is a bullet. I have to be careful where I read these books.. too many laugh out louds!!!!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Jen,
IA, Joe has definitely grown alot! In many ways I think one of the reasons I like him and Stephanie together so much is the balance between his need for control and her need for adventure.

Chris,
I love Grandma Mazur and it cracked me up that Steph's mom was so oblivious to the fact that Steph couldn't get away from Bernie fast enough! Bernie was such a creep!

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie I enjoyed Joe's character. I like how he was upset about her using his car but not really upset. I really enjoyed this book. I like how she is just learning to be a bounty hunter, and has to have her friend Ranger help her out of situations.