2013 Worlds Without End Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge discussion

General Discussion > Welcome

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan (last edited Jan 04, 2013 05:05PM) (new)

Nathan (skynjay) | 21 comments Mod
I have never been part of a Goodreads group before, but someone needed to start one for this challenge. Have fun!

Oh, site that is hosting this challenge is

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/auth...

I am in no way affiliated with the site, just a participant in the challenge.

edited:

A few notes in response to questions. The site I linked started this all, but the challenge seems to have grown beyond it. If their database doesn't have an author you want to read, read it anyway. Use your own definition of "in genre," no one is judging you. And if you don't make it to 12, who cares. Expand your reading list best you can!

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments This would be super easy if I didn't have to write reviews! I went on a omg i need to read more female scifi authors buying binge in the summer so I got tones of unread authors in the pile.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

I am trying to figure out what to call a Goodreads shelf for this. WWE 2013 challenge? Ah, I will figure it out eventually.

message 4: by Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (last edited Jan 01, 2013 09:34PM) (new)

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (emmadeploresgoodreadscensorship) | 67 comments Mod
Fun! I'm not sure I read enough fantasy books these days to make it, but this is so up my alley I think I'll do it anyway. Now off to start lots of threads and add books! (Query: do I add the books I plan to read, or that I think other people should read? or both?)

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (beniowa79) | 34 comments Emma, I don't think it's a big deal if you throw in a few non-genre books. I'm planning to use a few myself for my challenge.

message 6: by ambyr (last edited Jan 03, 2013 09:51AM) (new)

ambyr | 10 comments Ooh, this looks pretty cool. And it would be good to challenge myself to read stuff by _new_ people this year.

Nathan, could you put a link to the challenge in the group info, so it's right up top?

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Ambyr, I will do it when I get to a real computer tonight

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (emmadeploresgoodreadscensorship) | 67 comments Mod
@Nathan: Yeah, I was wondering about people planning to read authors like Toni Morrison or Hilary Mantel. Oh well, if they don't all have to be SFF then it'll be super easy! (I get tired of authors very quickly, so most of the books I read are from people I haven't read before.)

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments I was thinking Mantel might only have one book in the DB because that's her only Genre book. All my official 12 are SFF though so I'm good.

message 10: by Nathan (new)

I say read what you want. The way I see it, the linked site started this, and thus should get the credit, but I really ain't affiliated with it. First I heard of it was joining this challenge. A few people on Westeros were talking about a Goodreads group for it, so I started one.

But with their database so limited(and it looks like it will stay that way, I think the site is smaller than it looks), this may out grown that site. So, I will track it here on Goodreads, and add reviews to their site when I can.

On a side note, looking through my books last year I would missed the goal of this challenge by 3 authors.

Yeah, I'm not on their site either, but saw y'all joining this group and thought it sounded like fun.

Turns out I could call it 12 for last year if I count 3 books that are really more magic realism or "historical fiction with a couple of fantasy elements thrown in" than what I normally think of as "genre." That's actually more than I'd thought.

message 12: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 5 comments It turns out I only had 7 last years that fit all criteria - women, new-to-me, genre. And I have to count Sandra Hill. *shudder*. (I'd pass if I counted non-SFF thought.)

message 13: by Alytha (new)

Alytha | 18 comments I would have had 7 last year too, counting only novels. One of them is Deborah Harkness, whom I'd rather forget again asap...
(Robin Hobb, Joan Vinge, CS Friedman, Deborah Harkness, Nnedi Okorafur, Sophia McDougall and Tea Obreht)

Enjoyed the works of 3, 2 were meh, and 2 rather disturbing.

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma Victory | 11 comments I saw this group here before I ever realised there was a thread on the board (Ran's) about it. :)

I did sign up to the WWE site and register my chosen authors so far (I'm about 4 short I think). I'll try to go the official route. Far too often these days I don't take the time to put down in words what I think about a book right there and then when I finish it... so a week later or whenever I got to write something about it on the board and think, 'um...' what did I like about this book then? Time has passed and lots of my immediate impressions have drifted away. I see this challenge as a way of getting me to somehow (whether using a pen or doing it electronically in some format) convey my thoughts about books. I am taking the time to read them so I might as well have SOMETHING to say about them.

The way I see it, reviews do not have to be essays. You don't need to take 100 or 500 words to say how you feel about a book. :)

I do think that they people running the official challenge are open to adding other authors so I'll hold faith with them that I can do what I want to do with this challenge and keep it official too.

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) Hello! I just recently discovered WWE and was super excited about this challenge. Thanks for putting it on Goodreads, Nathan! That'll really help me to get to it.

I'm terribly, terribly embarrassed that I've only read 20 of the women on the list, so this will be really great.

Alytha, 100% agree with you on Deborah Harkness.

message 16: by ambyr (new)

ambyr | 10 comments A general query to other participants: do you think reading a book co-written by a woman and a man counts within the spirit of the challenge?

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments I was just thinking that. And I don't know. I guess it depends on the book and if it was equally written like Weiss and Hickman do, or if its one of those ones where someone just writes from an outline. Eh. I guess it depends on the book?

I was thinking about that too, since Daughter of the Empire is one of the ones I've been thinking of reading for awhile. Maybe depends on which author is listed first? I have heard that authors are usually listed in the order of their relative contributions, although don't know if that's always true.

message 19: by ambyr (new)

ambyr | 10 comments The one I'm pondering is The Steel Seraglio, which is by Mike, Linda, and Louise Carey. Two out of three makes for a majority, I guess?

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments Well, I'd say Feist is going to be the first listed author on those books no matter how much he contributed. I've heard various things about who wrote how much though.

I'd be interested to hear! But you're right, it's just as likely to be about relative fame, or alphabetical order, or who cares more about being listed first....

What if it's a collaboration and you've already read some of the authors? I have been thinking about reading The Golden Key for awhile, and all 3 authors are women so that's covered, but I've read books by Elliott and Rawn previously. (I'm thinking that if I read this I will count it just because it's really long--Roberson's contribution would be the length of a normal book anyway.)

So I added some stuff to the group bookshelf to make our page more interesting. Anyone can add!

message 23: by Just_ann_now (new)

Just_ann_now Emma wrote: "So I added some stuff to the group bookshelf to make our page more interesting. Anyone can add!"

That's a great idea! I just threw some on, off the top of my head, and will add more later.

message 24: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) Should we do a folder for author threads? That way, if we read similar books, we can discuss them there.

(I think only mods can create folders.)

message 25: by Nathan (last edited Jan 27, 2013 06:21PM) (new)

HA! Wish granted! Say hello to your mod hat! (Emma, I made you one too, but if either of you don't want it I can reverse it. Not really a lot of moderation needed on this group, so really it just allows you to make folders and stuff).

message 26: by Kara (last edited Jan 27, 2013 06:54PM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) Haha! Awesome, Nathan. Thank you!

Cool, thanks!