What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA fantasy, childrens vocations decided by item left at end of bed

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blaserk (new)

Blaserk | 14 comments I only really remember the world this book took place in. It was Islands on a lake, or something like that. The children had some really great, long summer break type thing (or at least something relating to their schooling) that I was super jealous of. The schools were divided by vocation (one for cooking, one for acrobats, etc) When they were babies (or maybe it was on a certain birthday) a spirit/god/something came and left an item at the end of the childs bed which indicated their vocation. For example, if a basket of bread loaves were left they would go to the cooking school. And of course the vocation asigned matched the childs abilities and interests perfectly.
The story started the night one child was to get his vocation chosen. His mother didn't like what was left though (or maybe nothing at all was left?), and switched it out with something else, resulting in the boy getting sent to the wong school for him.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) wow this sounds like it could be a wonderful book

Do you have any guess how old it is?
Is it for younger readers, or teens, do you think?

message 3: by Blaserk (new)

Blaserk | 14 comments Young adult probably? I have no idea how old it was or when I read it. Maybe 5 years ago. Thanks!

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 475 comments Long shot, but D'Shai by Joel Rosenberg is set in a fantasy world where everyone has a magical talent from a specific caste - baker, acrobat, runner, etc... The main character doesn't have such a talent, until he discovers that he's the first person ever to be born with a detective talent.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
D'Shai D'Shai (D'Shai, #1) by Joel Rosenberg

message 6: by Blaserk (new)

Blaserk | 14 comments That might be it! I will drop by the library and take a look at it later today! For whatever reason, I can only remember that little bit of world building and set up from the beginning. Maybe I never finished it.
However, I know if I read the first chapter I will recognize it. Will report back soon!!

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Sent a PM to check with the OP.

message 8: by Blaserk (new)

Blaserk | 14 comments Oh my goodness I totally forgot about this! Thank you for reminding me. My university library did not have a copy, but now that I am home for the summer I can finally check!!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
So Blaserk, was D'Shai your book?

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Send another PM off to Blaserk to see if that was the correct book or not.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Blaserk, any updates on this book?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

D'Shai (other topics)