Lovers of Paranormal discussion

ARCHIVED R2R's > OLD Adventures of the Travelling Book!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments A member suggested this a while back and I wanted to get the ball rolling...BUT we need a book to start off with!!!!!

The idea is to have a book, one person reads the book...makes comments, highlights...possibly even writes a little message in it to the next person...then, when they are done it gets sent to the next person on the list...they do the same, and on and on until it finds its way back to the original owner or the author (depending on who donates it).

What do you think???

If there are any authors willing to donate a copy of their book for this, please let me know.

Otherwise, we need a member to offer up one of their books (real book of course)...paperback would be best to cut down on shipping costs.

Once we get a book, I will start asking for readers. Please don't sign up as a reader until I announce the book!!!

Thank you!

message 2: by Tohrutohno (new)

Tohrutohno | 143 comments I'd be happy to donate a book! ;) I'll have to look through my collection to see what's worthy. Are we voting on suggestions or just first person to donate?

message 3: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Patricks (jacquelinepatricks) | 50 comments Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj #1) by Jacqueline Patricks I'm willing to offer my book to this adventure!

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika Sounds like a fantastic idea! Even though I'm not an author, I'd be willing to circulate one of my books. Can't wait to participate!

message 5: by Dean (new)

Dean Henryson (dean_henryson) | 1 comments Hi Christina,

It sounds like a fabulous idea. I'm an author and will donate my new paranormal novel, Fierce Peace. Just let me know where to send it first.

Dean Henryson
Fierce Peace by Dean Henryson

Cristina wrote: "A member suggested this a while back and I wanted to get the ball rolling...BUT we need a book to start off with!!!!!

The idea is to have a book, one person reads the book...makes comments, highli..."

message 6: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments It depends on the amount of donations we get!! We might put it to a member vote, choose randomly, or moderator pick.

We're flying by the seat of our pants :)

Thank you to the authors that have offered up their books already! I will be in touch if your book is chosen...meanwhile, keep them coming!

I'll leave this up for a little while...one month max.

message 7: by Robert (last edited Jan 08, 2013 08:50AM) (new)

Robert Franks | 9 comments Would be happy to donate book! Sounds like an accentrically fabulous idea! http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 8: by Elsa (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:54PM) (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) That sounds like a great idea, reminds me of the book swap GR used to have. I loved it. But for some reasons it got cancelled. Good luck, and I would love to participate. I have several books that I accidentally got two of that I can donate. they are mostly YA.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments I would love to donate a copy of my book, Stitch Stitch (Stitch Trilogy, #1) by Samantha Durante , for this! I'm always eager to hear reader reactions as they read it, so this sounds amazing. :-)

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula (shivapastures) | 232 comments I will read anything that's offered!

message 11: by cajunqueen (new)

cajunqueen | 68 comments I am up for the reading end challenge!! Count me in!

Danielle (Dannie) (daniellers2012) | 251 comments I love this idea!!! You can definitely count me in!!! Now the only question is ... Which book??!! LOL! :)

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (gwendolyn66) | 1 comments I'm new to this so are we talking a paperback or a ebook? Looks like there's an author interested - Fierce Peace - I'm in if this goes ahead.

Emily (On Emily's Bookshelf) | 3 comments I'm in(for reading it & sending it to the next person, if it's YA) :) This is a fantastic idea!

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly (bsbabey) | 61 comments I think this is a great idea! I am in as well. :)

message 16: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 72 comments I love this idea and I would love to offer up my next book, Broken Faith, to be put on the list for a future book. I plan on publishing in March.

message 17: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Wendy wrote: "I'm new to this so are we talking a paperback or a ebook? Looks like there's an author interested - Fierce Peace - I'm in if this goes ahead."

Paperback

message 18: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Patricks (jacquelinepatricks) | 50 comments Looks like lots of interest so far! This is great!

message 19: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments The poll is up!! Vote by 1/31.
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/78...

message 20: by Kyleigh (new)

Kyleigh Hubbard (kyleigh13) | 6 comments i am not an author but this is an awesome idea where do i sign up

message 21: by Cecilia (last edited Jan 24, 2013 10:38AM) (new)

Cecilia Robert (Cece26) | 4 comments Fab idea! :) I would love to donate my book. The print will be out the first week of March and I can send it then, if you'll be needing another book. Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1) by Cecilia Robert

message 22: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Cecilia, we'll keep you in mind for the next one. We may even do multiples if the demand is there.

Karen, once the votes are in (ending 1/31) I will request the book from the author and start a sign up thread. Once the book arrives, I will send it to the first person that signed up and it will go down the list in order.

message 23: by Tohrutohno (new)

Tohrutohno | 143 comments Will those that sign up not be ordered so that shipping is minimized? Or is it going to be all over the place?

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (JRyder) I'm all about this! I'll read anything :)

message 25: by Elsa (last edited Jan 25, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) Just an idea I'm throwing out there since we are flying by the seat of our pants here, if the author didn't mind, everyone that received the book write something inside the cover maybe just the name of the person and the date they received it and finished reading it maybe a little message. Kind of like a year book.

message 26: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments I love that idea, Elsa!

message 27: by Elsa (last edited Jan 25, 2013 07:08AM) (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) Hay also to minimize shiping cost, if the book is shiped as "media mail" it should be cheaper. It might take a little longer to arrive thou.

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Yeah, I've found the cheapest way to ship is to wrap the book well in brown paper bag and a lot of packing tape (especially on the corners/edges, since that's where it gets a lot of wear and tear during shipping and is most likely to rip open) and ship it media mail - usually comes in around $3, but it can take up to two weeks to arrive depending on where you're sending it. Another option is for ~$1.50 more, you can just put it in a priority mail flat rate envelope (the envelope itself is free so you don't have to worry about packaging/tape) and it will get there in a day or two! Plus then you can get true tracking to make sure it arrives (I think the media mail just has delivery confirmation, which isn't quite the same thing...)

message 29: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Robert (Cece26) | 4 comments Cristina wrote: "Cecilia, we'll keep you in mind for the next one. We may even do multiples if the demand is there.

Karen, once the votes are in (ending 1/31) I will request the book from the author and start a s..."

Ok, Cristina. I'm working on the print version now. It should be ready by then. :D
Thanks!!

message 30: by Cristina (last edited Jan 25, 2013 10:49AM) (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments All good questions and suggestions!!!!! Thank you all.

I like the "in the order that you sign up" better than by location. I know if I signed up first and got it last I'd be a bit ticked off, anyone else?? We could discuss among those interested. If we'd all rather save a few bucks that's fine as well.

I also like the Priority mail plan. (would hate for this book to spend most of its time in limbo)
It really is just a small flat rate and it doesn't matter where it's mailed to. The flexible envelope is actually cheaper for certain locations (I learned that from work). So, let's keep the ideas and chit chat open and I will pick what most people are agreeing with.

message 31: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Elsa wrote: "Just an idea I'm throwing out there since we are flying by the seat of our pants here, if the author didn't mind, everyone that received the book write something inside the cover maybe just the nam..."

That's the plan Elsa!!! :) It will be a wonderful momento for the author.

message 32: by Jacqueline (last edited Jan 25, 2013 10:57AM) (new)

Jacqueline Patricks (jacquelinepatricks) | 50 comments Keep in mind the flat rate priority mailing works for international, but gets very expensive ($16+) when the first class option ($10+) is cheaper and generally only takes about two weeks to anywhere in the world, barring customs issues. Just something to consider. Some of our members may be shipping from US to international. Perhaps we might arrange the list to avoid excessive pond hopping? Basically, once it's mailed overseas (if that happens) it can stay their for a while or visa versa?

And there's no media mail for international shipping, fyi.

message 33: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 7 comments This looks really cool! I'm defiantly going to vote and sign up. Great Idea!

message 34: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Keep in mind the flat rate priority mailing works for international, but gets very expensive ($16+) when the first class option ($10+) is cheaper and generally only takes about two weeks to anywher..."

Good point!! Thank you!

message 35: by Elsa (last edited Jan 28, 2013 09:26AM) (new)

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) Cristina, how will we know when the book is open to sign up? Will you be sending a message to all members or those who voted on the poll for the book that was chosen?

message 36: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments I will send an email to all members since some that didn't get a chance to vote may still want to participate.
I will move pretty quick, so expect an email on 2/1. :)

message 37: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments A few more days until the voting ends....vote now if you haven't already!!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/72...

message 38: by Becca (new)

Becca (ladybeccaboo) I think this is an AWESOME idea. I can't wait to sign up!

Danielle (Dannie) (daniellers2012) | 251 comments I'm in! I can't wait to sign up also!!! This is a great idea!!! :)

message 40: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 72 comments I can't wait for sign-ups, this is going to be great!!And if you ever need another author to donate I would be more than HAPPY to volunteer any of my books.
Uniquely Unwelcome by Brandy Nacole Blood Burdens by Brandy Nacole Broken Faith (Spiritual Discord Series, #1) by Brandy Nacole

message 41: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Voting is over...time to see who won!!! So exciting!

message 42: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Congratulations to Samantha!! Her book Stitch received the most votes and will be our first Travelling Book!!!

I'm going to send out the email and start the sign up thread. Please don't sign up here. I will not look here when I make up the master list.

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Yes!!! I'm SO excited! Can't wait to start!!

message 44: by Cristina (last edited Feb 01, 2013 04:14AM) (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Dreams of the Queen (The Brajj #1) by Jacqueline Patricks I'm willing to offer my book to this adventure!"

Surprise, for all those that voted for Dreams of the Queen, the author Jacqueline would like to send you a free e-copy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooohoooo!!!! How awesome is that?!?!?!?

IF you voted, please let her know what format you need and leave your email address so she can send it to you.

I will be checking, so please be honest. If you didn't vote for the book, you do not get the free copy. If I catch anyone trying any nonsense you will be immediately banned from the group.

It would be super nice if you could leave a review once you do read the book, no time limit though.

Thank you Jacqueline!!! And congrats to the voters!!!

Danielle (Dannie) (daniellers2012) | 251 comments Congrats Jacqueline!!!!

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Torrey | 1 comments This is such an awesome concept. If you ever decide to do it again, I'd love to offer my YA book, Teen Fury: Unleashed! :) I'd also love to sign up to participate as a reader- I'll look out for the email! :)

message 47: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stevie | 5 comments This is sooo awesome!! I would love to add my novel to the traveling book fun. I can not imagine how cool it would be to get the book back with actually comments from readers on the pages and notes! Please add me to the fun. Angel's Kiss by Lynne Stevie
Thanks!
Lynne Stevie

message 48: by Liz (new)

Liz | 3 comments critter879@sbcglobal.netDreams of the Queen pdf please

message 49: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Patricks (jacquelinepatricks) | 50 comments I've sent a pdf copy to Liz.

message 50: by Nickcole (new)

Nickcole (nickcole_ox) xclusivekiss69@yahoo.com - Mobi

Dreams of the Queen

« previous 1