Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > dystopian suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Robynn (new)

Robynn Bodinsky | 26 comments so I just finished another book and have that sad feeling I get whenever I finish a good book. need another to fill the void. spam me with your suggestions. I have read all of margaret attwoods books so those are out.

message 2: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments Have you read Legend by Marie Lu?

message 3: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (dauntless_kylie) | 5 comments Delirium by Lauren Oliver is probably one of the best dystopian books ever (:

message 4: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) 爱心❤ wrote: "Have you read Legend by Marie Lu?"

Ooh yes good one and the sequel comes out in just a few days!! My all time favorite dystopian series is The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness it has one of the most complex, scary and interesting villains ever!!

And you can't go wrong with Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth or Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young either :)

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melstephensbooks) Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth is probably my favorite, but Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins and The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa are good. That last one is like vampire dystopia haha. Hope that helps

message 6: by Robynn (new)

Robynn Bodinsky | 26 comments Read most of those but will try delerium and legend

message 7: by Duks (new)

Duks (cnduks_) | 1836 comments "The Chemical Garden" Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano.

message 8: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) Some of my favs: a couple of them (like feed) might be a bit more apocalyptic then dystopian, but they often go hand in hand.

5 Stars
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Little Brother (Little Brother, #1) by Cory Doctorow Genesis by Bernard Beckett The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry 1984 by George Orwell Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2) by Mira Grant Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3) by Mira Grant The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

4 Stars
Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner

3 Stars
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie

message 9: by Ravencrantz (new)

Ravencrantz The Complex Breathe Incarceron Here are some of my favorites.

message 10: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) I just finished Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu last night and it gets added to the 5 star list. Awesome book!

message 11: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Jex wrote: "I just finished Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu last night and it gets added to the 5 star list. Awesome book!"

Awesome! I loved it too and Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu cones out in three days!!!

message 12: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Tori wrote: "I really liked Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth and I loved Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis. Incarnate (Newsoul, #1) by Jodi Meadows is also really good!"

Ooh yeah, I'm with you there!!

message 13: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah One of my favorites is Possession (Possession, #1) by Elana Johnson
I just love it!

message 14: by Marirose (new)

Marirose Vernalee The Giver, 1984, and the Maze Runner

message 15: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Marirose wrote: "The Giver, 1984, and the Maze Runner"

My wife's reading The Giver, I quite enjoyed it :)

Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu is out!!

message 16: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments David wrote: "My all time favorite dystopian series is The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

I'm reading that now (like as I type) on page 329 :) Liking it so far

message 17: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Awesome!! The series gets better and better as it goes on and the ending is AMAZING! Enjoy :)

message 18: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Hooper | 20 comments The Knife of Never Letting Go This book sounds really great! People have such crazy imaginations! I'm going to have to try this one!

message 19: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) A.M. it's really incredble, I know I'm going on and on about it, but I loved it. Really inventive and such great characters, including one of the best villains ever, Mayor Prentiss :)

message 20: by Robynn (new)

Robynn Bodinsky | 26 comments What come after the giver? I read it like 15 years ago and just discovered it ls a series?

message 21: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) by Lois Lowry Here's the second book :)

message 22: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments Yeah, The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness did have an awesome ending! Looking forward to reading the next :)

message 24: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) 爱心❤ wrote: "Yeah, The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Nessdid have an awesome ending! Looking forward to reading the next :)"

Wait until you read the ending to the whole series, unbelievable!!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Gah! You people are making it hard not to go on a shopping spree on Aazon. O.o

message 26: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments David wrote: "Wait until you read the ending to the whole series, unbelievable!!"

Ok! I'm just about to click the reserve button..... now

message 27: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) LOL yes!

message 28: by Abby (new)

Abby | 12 comments Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver and Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver

message 29: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments OMG! awesome covers!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Was this series any good? Uglies

message 31: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments Apparently it's really good - haha, but it's been on my TR list for ages!

message 32: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Michelle wrote: "Was this series any good? Uglies"

It's pretty good although it got mixed reviews. There's a bit of repetition in the books, but it's cool to see how Westerfeld remakes the main character in each book, pretty creative and unique :)

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments This was a fantastic dystopian novel Eden by David Holley there is also a paranormal spin to this story that knocked my socks off!

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily (emkathh) David wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Was this series any good? Uglies"

It's pretty good although it got mixed reviews. There's a bit of repetition in the books, but it's cool to see how Westerfeld remakes the main ch..."

everyone has different opinions, but i didn't like it. not the series as a whole. i liked uglies, but then came pretties and shay was just so annoying and so frustrating, i just wanted to burn the book and never see it again. but i finished it, then i read specials, and shay still was an annoying and traitorous, stupid moron. and i didn't like the ending either. or the way tally acted towards shay, like everything was all goody-good and all. but like i said, everyone has different opinions, and if you think it sounds good, then you should read it! :) many books i've read got a lot of negative reviews but i ended up loving them anyways!

message 35: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Yeah, I think a lot of people didn't like it for the same reasons you mentioned :) I'd say try the first one, and if you don't like it, then skip the rest.

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather James (makexbelieve) | 11 comments Sarah wrote: "If you like dystopian, you'll love these. I cannot get enough of them!
the first three are out now and the fourth will be out on february 19th (can't wait!!!!)
[bookcover:Whispers in Autumn|1363183..."

Wow those covers are gorgeous. And such a clever idea too. Definitely going to have to look into them.

Michelle wrote: "Was this series any good? Uglies"

I loved the Uglies series, it's still one of my favourite all-time reads. It's sort of like a YA take on Brave New World, with a romance plot and some cool sci-fi features.

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily (emkathh) Sarah wrote: "If you like dystopian, you'll love these. I cannot get enough of them!
the first three are out now and the fourth will be out on february 19th (can't wait!!!!)
[bookcover:Whispers in Autumn|1363183..."

i will definitely look into these :))

message 38: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments OMG finally read The Ask and the Answer yaaaaay!

message 39: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) 爱心❤ wrote: "OMG finally read The Ask and the Answer yaaaaay!"

Lol yes!! Soooo good!

message 40: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug Please suggest good science fiction dystopias for my Ph.D...

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Knive I just glanced the previous entries but didn't see "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham mentioned yet.

message 42: by Robynn (new)

Robynn Bodinsky | 26 comments Graceling

message 43: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments Yes Graceling and then the next ones are even better!

hey David my local bookstore is selling Monsters of Men for 5 NZD!!!

message 44: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) 爱心❤ wrote: "Yes Graceling and then the next ones are even better!

hey David my local bookstore is selling Monsters of Men for 5 NZD!!!"

Aww yay!! Get it, it's so good!!

message 45: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (brandynacole) | 174 comments Have you guys heard of Citizen by Natasha House? It's really good!

message 46: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Brandy wrote: "Have you guys heard of Citizen by Natasha House? It's really good!"

Nope but thanks for the recommendation!

message 47: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments Just put it on my TR list :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "I just glanced the previous entries but didn't see "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham mentioned yet."

Yes!! Loved it! Wyndham is a forgettable author even though his books are not. I liked The Day of the Triffids even though it was silly quite often.

message 49: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Vilar (iamsoawesam) | 2 comments i'm really into dystopian books. What would you guys recommend me to read?

message 50: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness and Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman :)

« previous 1