Two Graves (Pendergast, #12) Two Graves discussion

Great, until the end

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kmeyersvt I love the Pendergast novels, and this one was great, until the end. It was a very weak ending and we didn't even find out what happens with the Corrie storyline. They clearly left things wide open for the next novel, a little too wide. Still worth reading if you love the series.

Martha Wiley I loved it, as I love most of the Pendergast books. Yes, they are definitely leaving things wide open for the next book - let's hope we see it soon! And I hope they go back to New York City, because to me, that is the setting for their best stories.

message 3: by Redd (new)

Redd Kaiman I guess. I didn't think it was bad, but I think a lot of books are like that nowadays.

Check out my webcomic, updates every Thursday: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/2013/0...

Lisa I agree with Kmeyersvt. I also think the Nazi/"Boys from Brazil" angle was a little too trite and shark jumpish. I read it because it was a Pendergast novel. Not sure if I could come up with another reason.

Aditya It was more like good rather than great at any point in this trilogy.I really liked the Pendergast novels but it seems this series has run out of gas.

Mark I disagree I quite liked the end of the book and as it is Pendergast vs the Nazi boys was an unescapable idea considering the challenges chose by Pendergast and Friends.
The book ends with Constance burning a candle for Pendergast Sr. (now) and he having a child. Also a superiour version of himself, with psychopatic tendencies< is wandering the earth.
Looking forward to the next Child & Preston book even if that will be undoubtely a Gideon tale. Which has surprisingly not been sold to Tom Cruise.

Linda Kmeyersvt wrote: "I love the Pendergast novels, and this one was great, until the end. It was a very weak ending and we didn't even find out what happens with the Corrie storyline. They clearly left things wide open..."

I agree about ending. I hate TV shows which are "to be continued". Especially bad in novels.

June I loved this book as I dearly love Pendergast! Of course the ending is wide open for the next book.

Mark ladies and gentlemen, it looks like we have our newest Preston & Child novel scheduled for release this year:

Name: White Fire
Release Date: November 12, 2013
Synopsis: Corrie Swanson sets out to solve a long-forgotten mystery. In 1876, in a remote mining camp called Roaring Fork in the Colorado Rockies, several miners were killed in devastating grizzly bear attacks. Now the town has become an exclusive ski resort and its historic cemetery has been dug up to make way for development. Corrie has arranged to examine the remains of the dead miners. But in doing so she makes a shocking discovery that threatens the resort's very existence. The town's leaders, trying to stop her from exposing their community's dark and bloody past, arrest and jail her.

Special Agent Pendergast of the FBI arrives to help--just as a series of brutal arson attacks on multimillion dollar homes terrify the town and drive away tourists. Drawn irresistibly into the investigation, Pendergast discovers an unlikely secret in Roaring Fork's past, connecting the resort to a chance meeting between Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde. With the town under siege, and Corrie's life in desperate danger, Pendergast must solve the riddle of the past... before the town of the present goes up in flames.

message 10: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick Gualtieri Wasn't my favorite of the series. Felt like 3 completely unrelated stories to me. Didn't care about the Corrie story. The Constance story was meh. The Pendergast story was fun at times, but the beginning irked me far more than the end.

Michael just finished Two Graves, which pretty much wraps up the Pendergast saga. The authors leave a bit of unfinished business at the end, but I do not think I would actively search out the sequel. In fact, I don't even think I will go back are read the few Pendergast books I've missed, as so many storylines concluded in this book.
I enjoyed the book, as I enjoy almost everything these authors write, together or individually. I would recommend it to anyone, but I would suggest the series be read in order

message 12: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June Michael wrote: "just finished Two Graves, which pretty much wraps up the Pendergast saga. The authors leave a bit of unfinished business at the end, but I do not think I would actively search out the sequel. In fa..."

Michael, I haven't received the book yet and are looking forward to reading it. Are you telling me you think the authors will not be writing about Pendergast again? I sincerely hope not. I love reading about him and would miss his character.

Michael June wrote: "Michael wrote: "just finished Two Graves, which pretty much wraps up the Pendergast saga. The authors leave a bit of unfinished business at the end, but I do not think I would actively search out t..."

See comment below from Mark:

"White Fire" the New Pendergast book this year

»

message 1: by Mark - rated it 4 stars Mar 09, 2013 04:15pm
Name: White Fire
Release Date: November 12, 2013
Synopsis: Corrie Swanson sets out to solve a long-forgotten mystery. In 1876, in a remote mining camp called Roaring Fork in the Colorado Rockies, several miners were killed in devastating grizzly bear attacks. Now the town has become an exclusive ski resort and its historic cemetery has been dug up to make way for development. Corrie has arranged to examine the remains of the dead miners. But in doing so she makes a shocking discovery that threatens the resort's very existence. The town's leaders, trying to stop her from exposing their community's dark and bloody past, arrest and jail her.

Special Agent Pendergast of the FBI arrives to help--just as a series of brutal arson attacks on multimillion dollar homes terrify the town and drive away tourists. Drawn irresistibly into the investigation, Pendergast discovers an unlikely secret in Roaring Fork's past, connecting the resort to a chance meeting between Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde. With the town under siege, and Corrie's life in desperate danger, Pendergast must solve the riddle of the past... before the town of the present goes up in flames.

message 14: by Pat (last edited Oct 30, 2014 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat I will still read about Pendergast. But this book has me asking more questions.

The weird old lady and her body/houseguard? What ever happened there? Surely he needed medical attention? Wouldn't Dr Felder find some way of finding out about the root cellar? And being potentially "buried with the others"? Wouldn't that be a follow up chapter at least?

And I personally, considering Pendergast's brother Diogenes' history, I would have shot Alban. I feel that he will appear again sometime. It has been said, there is a very fine line between genius and insanity.
Perfect example? And it appears to be genetic for the Pendergast gene pool!

I also would have liked a brief review of how Corrie fared, and how her father was cleared. Also, how did she bring down the crooked car dealership?

How sad that he will not have more than a friendship with Viola. How wonderful that Tristram survived his ordeals.

I do love Pendergast, but the man has got to be made of more guts, strength, will power, and stick-to-it-ive-ness than any human I have ever known!

Please pardon the spelling errors. I used the audio version and may not have all the spellings correct. And the audio version with Rene Auberjonois is just superb. YAY Rene! What a narrator.