You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Philly Beth's REAL High Octane Alphabet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Beth (last edited Dec 31, 2013 10:43AM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Pretty sure I'm nuts to try this, but ok, here I go! This post is my planning post.

Auster, Atwood
Bollano, Bellow, Barker, Butler, Bradbury, Brown , Boulle, Beinart
Calvino, Chabon, Coetzee, Cather, Cornwell, Coelho, Carey, Chandler
Donovan, Doyle, Danticat, Dunker, DONovan, Diament, DOnahugue
Eire, Englander, Eugenides, Enger
Feiyu, Ford, Faulkner
Galeano,Gordimer, Golden,Grass, Grau
Heyadt, Hijuelos, Haddon, Hamid, Harouf, Hayden, Hawthorne, Hosseini
Irving, Ishiguro
Jones, Jacobsen, Javellena, Joyce
Kingsolver, Kafka, Kadare, Kennedy, King, Kesey, Kellman
Laxness, Lahiri, Laye,Llosa, Letts, LEthem, Lewis
Miller, Morrison, Matthiesen, McEwan, Mahfouz, Mistry, Munro,Murakami, Malouf, Mailer, McDermott,Mitchell
Nemirovosky, Nasar
Ondaatje, Orwell. Ousame, Oz, Oates
Proulx, Pollock, Preston,Paul
Quinn
Roth, Robinson, Russell, Rushdie, Rolvang, Russo, RObbins
Sinclair, Sandor, Skloot, Seabold, Sartre, Sanford,Semilovec Shreve, Scottoline, Stegner, Scott
Tremain, Towles, Thompson, Trevor
Updike, Unsworth
Vergese, Vonnegut, Vallejo, Vassilikos, Von Eeden
Waters, Walcott, Warren, WInterson, Woods, Wendt, Wouk
Xingjian, Xueqin
Yezierska Young
Zola, Zweig

All Aunt Hagar's Children, All the Pretty HOrses, Akk tge Kings Men, Actual, Artist of the Floating World, Austerlitz, Absolom, Absolom, Amazing Adventure of Kavalier and Clay
Brokeback Mountain, Bridge Over River Kwai, Blind Owl, BLack Box,BuddhaDa, Bread GIvers, Bad BLood, Big Rock Candy Mountain
Cutting For Stone,, Castle of Crossed Destinies, Counterlife, Charming Billy, CIder House Rules
Devil All the Time, Dog on it, Dark Child: Autobiography of an Africa Boy, Dance of the Happy SHades, Devil's Corner, Death and the Dervish, Divergent
Edwin Mullhouse, English Patient, Empress of Florence, Elizabeth Costello, EMbers, Executioner's Song, Empire Falls, East Wind, Rain
Fine Balance, Fingersmith, Farewell Summer, Finkler Question, Fear and Loathing in LV, Fever Dream, Funeral in Blue
God's Bits of Wood, Getting Mother's Body, Ghost Road, Ghost Writer, Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, Giants of the Earth, Great American Novel, GHost Girl,Good Harbor, Gone with the Wind, Gone Girl
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Hallucinating Foucault,HOnk and Holler,House of Severn Gables, Heart of the Matter
Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Innocent, Ironweed, Insurgent
Jungle, Jack Maggs, Journal of Best Practices
Killer Angels, Keep the Aphidistora Flying
Lacuna, Lonesome Dove, Lost in the City, Leaves of the Banyan Tree, Lullabies for Little Criminals
Mirrors, Measuring the World, Midaq Alley, Memoirs of a Geisha, Mambo Kings, Middlesex
Norwegian Wood, Nausea, Non-existent Knight and the Cloven Viscount
Our Lady of the Assasins, Osmeros, One Flew Over the Cuckoos NEst,O Pioneers, Olive Kitteridge
Prayer for Owen Meany, Palace of Desire, Pickup Artist, Paddy CLarke Ha Ha Ha, Plot Against America, Peace Like a River, Plainsong
Quest for the Silver Fleece
River Between, Reader, Rabbit at Rest, Rabbit Redux, Reluctant Fundamentalist, Road Home, Remembering Babylon, Rescue, Reivers, Rules of Civility,Red Mist,Room
Stone Diaries, Shadow Country, Story of Edgar Sawtelle, Slow Man, Sugar Street, Surfacing, Spring Flowers, Spring Frost, Song of Solomon, Sport of Nature, Sexing the Cherry, Skinny Legs, Short Straw, Suite Francaise
Them, 2666, Three Sisters, Trial, Tim Drum, Time of the Hero
Unaccustomed Earth
Veronika Decides to Die
What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank, Waiting for Snow in Havana, Wind-up Bird Chronicle, WHy my 3rd Husband will Be a Dog, Weird SIsters, Without Seeing the Dawn
X-President
Yiddish Policeman's Union, You Don't Love Me Yet
Z

Please note that I have NOT checked these for length yet.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments I will be trying to meet the demands of my 1001 Books goals, my around the world goals and my around the US goals. Gonna lose my mind....

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup, we think that's the aim of the exercise. >:-)
Sounds like a lot of book juggling to try and get that many big challenges to mesh. Spreadsheets to the ready, by the sounds of it! Good luck.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments I realize that msg 1 is your planning post and there are a lot of titles so I won't ask you to go back over and add links. But, when you do up your official list, please remember to add links.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Will do.

A is done: Invisible by Paul Auster

message 6: by Beth (last edited Dec 31, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Final List

Names:A: Invisible by Paul Auster
B: The Crisis of Zionism by Peter Beinart
C: Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
D: Buddha Da by Anne Donovan.
E: The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
F: Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
G: The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau
H: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
I: An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro
J: Ulysses by James Joyce
K: The Shining by Stephen King
L: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
M: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
N: A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar
O: The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
P: Relic by Douglas Preston
Q: Dog on It by Spencer Quinn
R: Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
S: Staying On by Paul Scott
T: Felicia's Journey by William Trevor
U: Rabbit, Run by John Updike
V: God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut
W: The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk
X: Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian
Y: The Warriors by The Warriors
Z: Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola

Titles:
A: All Aunt Hagar's Children by Edward P. Jones
B: The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner
C: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
D: Divergent by Veronica Roth
E: Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee
F: Funeral in Blue by Anne Perry
G: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
H: The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene
I: Insurgent byVeronica Roth
J: The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch
K: Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell
L: Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill
M: Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann
N: The Nonexistent Knight & The Cloven Viscount by Italo Calvino
O: Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

UNCLE!!!!!!!!

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Oh first book done, yay Beth!

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Another A bites the dust. :)

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments B will be slower. 10 hours of audio or 898 pages of book. I'm about an hour into one and 50 pages into the other...

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments What did you pick for B?

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments I'm reading three now with B, so it is a matter of what I finish first so I can move on (one each on audio, kindle and paper). Probably the Kindle will win: The Crisis of Zionism by Peter Beinart

message 12: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments 3! Wow!

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Pragya wrote: "3! Wow!"

They are all for different Around the World countries, so I needed them all anyhow (China, Israel, Chile)

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Now on to Chandler for C!

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments You're motoring Beth!

message 17: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments You have some great authors on your list, Beth.

message 18: by Beth (last edited Jan 07, 2013 08:23PM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments C done, on to D!

Review on my blog: http://bethslistlove.wordpress.com/20...

message 19: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Whoo Hoo!

message 20: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Man Alive! You are moving along! Congratulations! : )

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Duck! There are books flying past our heads in this thread. Beth is onto D already!

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Yes, next stop is a repeat country (UK) but is fun so far: Buddha Da by Anne Donovan for Orange January. Might take awhile, though cause I am in massive job search mode as my husband just found out his last day is June 30 and I don't have benefits with my job. So we are in full where will our money and benefits come from in July??? mode. It is diverting my reading time a bit.

message 23: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Beth wrote: "Yes, next stop is a repeat country (UK) but is fun so far: Buddha Da by Anne Donovan for Orange January. Might take awhile, though cause I am in massive job search mode as my husband just found out..."

Nothing like a little STRESS! I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's job. Good luck in the job search and keep us posted!

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Good luck job hunting, Beth.

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Janice wrote: "Good luck job hunting, Beth."

Thanks. We are in turbo job search mode, but I'm enjoying the reading I do get in in between to keep me sane!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments D: Just finished Buddha Da by Anne Donovan.

message 27: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I hope the perfect job comes your husband's way. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers, Beth.
Reading is always an excellent escape from daily stress. : )

And you are moving like a freight train! Go girl! : )

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments E done, Jeffrey Eugenides's The Marriage Plot--this one would work for Feb Toppler guys!

On to Faulkner

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments DId you enjoy the book? I've heard that people didn't like it as much as Middlesex

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments This is the real one!!!

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments I thought something was weird this morning. I deleted the duplicate thread for you.

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Janice wrote: "I thought something was weird this morning. I deleted the duplicate thread for you."

thanks so much!

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments I can't tell you how many books I've looked at and said, "ooh, I can use that---NO, it's 1XX pages"... UGH

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments F is done!!! And I finally really love Faulkner!
Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner hooked me about 1/3 of the way in and then I was not just a respecter of Faulkner but a true fan!

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Judy wrote: "Good to know, Beth. I just picked up Light in August because I promised myself this was the year I read Faulkner for the first time. And congrats, on getting your "F" book done!"

Let me know what you think. I haven't read that one yet.

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments And another great Southern book for G: The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau. Wikipedia said it was set in Alabama, but it's not. For my rant on the topic and my review: http://bethslistlove.wordpress.com/20... Post title tells it all.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Have you started your I book?

message 40: by Beth (last edited Feb 01, 2013 08:08AM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Yup. An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. And Ulysses by James Joyce is loaded up on the phone for J. Could be awhile before I get to K, though...

message 41: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Great review, Beth!

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Beth wrote: "Yup. An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. And Ulysses by James Joyce is loaded up on the phone for J. Could be awhile before I get to K, though..."

Just squeaked in over the 200 page rule on that one. Hehehe!

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Yes. I've neurotically checked it a few times since putting it on the shelf...

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments LOL! I just happened to notice when I pulled up the book page. I'll be interested in how you like this book.

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1851 comments Finished Ulysses by James Joyce and The Shining by Stephen King for J and K. Because why make the challenge easy, right? Intimidating and or scary REALLY LONG books are the idea, right?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Absolutely - no point just shaving that 200 page minimum - far better to clear it by some considerable margin. >:-)

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments That's the idea Beth! :)

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19729 comments Did you like Ulysses? I have it on my TBR list, but not for my ABC Challenge. It intimidates me every time I see James Joyce his name.

message 50: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Cherie wrote: "Did you like Ulysses? I have it on my TBR list, but not for my ABC Challenge. It intimidates me every time I see James Joyce his name."

Me too, Cherie! A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man scared me for life! I hated everything about it. Consequently, every time I see or hear James Joyce, I have a PTSD experience!

« previous 1