You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Sara's Low-Octane Alphabet Quest

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited Jan 01, 2013 11:25AM) (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Author's Last Name

A- Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson by Jodi Lynn Anderson

B- Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1) by Clare Bell by Clare Bell

C- Spineless Wonders Strange Tales from the Invertebrate World by Richard Conniff by Richard Conniff

D- The Search for WondLa (WondLa, #1) by Tony DiTerlizzi by Tony DiTerlizzi

E- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende by Michael Ende

That's all I have so far :)

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Good start! Hope you enjoy the challenge.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50026 comments You've got a good start, Sara. :)

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Finished all the way up to my E book :) A was good, B was not, C was my kind of science book (although *looks around shiftily* turns out it was only 199 pages), and D was fantastical :)

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50026 comments La-la-lala-la... I didn't see that. :)

message 6: by Sara (last edited Jan 29, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Not done with E but here's what's coming up :)

F- The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde by Jasper Fforde

G- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert by Daniel Gilbert

H- A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway

I- The World According to Garp by John Irving by John Irving

message 7: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments Wow, you're doing great!

message 8: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments You have made an amazing beginning! WOW! : )

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) *sings* another one bites the dust, and another one gone and another one gone... I finished E and F over the weekend. F was okay but not as great as I thought it would be but I'm really looking forward to G, I love psychology books :)

message 10: by Sara (last edited Jan 29, 2013 11:39AM) (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) I've finished G and started on H but didn't like
Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck
and so I switched to a Hemingway book. 2nd time I've switched my H book >_<

message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Hi Sara,

How about Hemingway's book The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway ? It is a wonderful story and one of my all time favorites. If you read the book, you should look up the movie staring Spencer Tracy!

message 12: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Cherie wrote: "Hi Sara,

How about Hemingway's book The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway? It is a wonderful story and one of my all time favorites. If you read the book, you should look up the movie starin..."

I never knew there was a movie! Thanks for sharing!

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50026 comments I hope your third H pick is the charm.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Cherie wrote: "Hi Sara,

How about Hemingway's book The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway? It is a wonderful story and one of my all time favorites. If you read the book, you should look up the movie starin..."

I believe I read a snippet in Freshman English and I remember liking it :) but the Hemingway novel I just read was not something I was into.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Janice wrote: "I hope your third H pick is the charm."

Thanks for the well wishes and it was the charm in the way that I actually finished it, but not in the way of enjoying it :P

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50026 comments Well, John Irving is always a good read (in my opinion).

message 17: by Sara (last edited Mar 06, 2013 07:23AM) (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Anyway, I finished the Hemingway novel and The World According to Garp (finally!). That "I" book was insanely long and I've been anticipating my next books for quite awhile, especially J, K, and M. And those upcoming books would be:

J- The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs by A.J. Jacobs

K- Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate by Lauren Kate

L- Imagine How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer by Jonah Lehrer

M- A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin by George R.R. Martin

message 18: by Travis (last edited Feb 06, 2013 12:01PM) (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Cherie wrote: "Hi Sara,

This book is good but watch out for people recommending books less than 200 pages. Cherie tisk tisk

message 19: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Sara, you are really moving along on this abc challenge! Way to Go! ; )

message 20: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Cherie wrote: "Hi Sara,

How about Hemingway's book The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway? It is a wonderful story and one of my all time favorites. If you read the book, you should look up t..."

I am sorry, Sara, I was just trying to come up with an "enjoyable" Hemingway story for you. I did not look at the page count before I suggested it. I did not realize it was so short. Ya got me Travis! I will watch my suggestions for this challenge from now on. :)

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Coincidence had it I just read the old man and the sea last week or I never would have given it a thought

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Coincidence had it I just read the old man and the sea last week or I never would have given it a thought"

LOL!! Have you seen the movie, with Spencer Tracy?

message 23: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments No I never knew it was a movie. Spencer Tracy hmmm sounds like something my wife would enjoy have to look into it.

message 24: by Sara (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:12PM) (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Finished all the way through M :) and here's what's (probably) next:

N- The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness by Patrick Ness

O- The Search for the Red Dragon (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2) by James A. Owen by James A. Owen

P- Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult by Jodi Picoult

Q- The Song of the Dodo Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction by David Quammen by David Quammen

message 25: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 228 comments I couldn't get into The Knife of Never Letting Go. I didn't get past the first chapter, but I'm considering trying again. I'll have to check back to see what you thought of it.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) Funny you should say that, Shanna, I read three pages in and now I'm returning it. I cannot read books that are narrated in hillybilly-speak ("ain't got nothin'"); I'm too much of a Grammar Gestapo for that xD

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara (lewdlettuce) I think I'll try Ness' other book A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness for my N :) hopefully I'll be more into that one.