Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's December 2012

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments 81. Mystery Mile. Marjory Allingham. (3/5) Narrated by Francis Matthews.

My first Albert Campion. This was hard to get into on audio...I find that to be the case with a certain style of vintage British mystery. A confusing tale about an American judge who is on the run from a mob-like syndicate. Campion is a bit of a goof but it is a facade to fool the bad guys into thinking he’s a lightweight. I’m told these get better so I will stick with them.

82. All I Did Was Shoot My Man. Walter Mosley. Narrated by Mirron Willis. (4/5)

Leonid T. McGill continues sorting out his chaotic home life and has been hired (so we think) to help a woman recently released from prison get settled. On the way he gets interested in the crime that sent her to jail, and this drives the plot. I love this series; it’s a lot grittier than the Easy Rawlins series, but also has many similarities.

83. The Crime of Julian Wells. Thomas H. Cook. Narrated by Traber Burns. (4/5)

Julian Wells’ best friend Phillip Anders is perplexed as to why his best friend has committed suicide. To uncover the truth he needs to retrace his friend’s steps and uncover a secret. This book starts slowly but there is no one better than Cook at slowly building suspense and a deep sense of dread. At Bouchercon 2012 Cook said that people don’t like to read dark stories anymore, and they aren’t always the ones I’m in the mood for, but this did not disappoint.

84. Open and Shut. David Rosenfelt. Narrated by Grover Gardner. (3/5)

This has been on my TBR forever, and I was in the mood for something a little lighter so decided to finally embark on this series. This predates The Lincoln Lawyer, but it reminded me of it so much that it overshadowed the experience. The wisecracking lead (a la Myron Bolitar, Mickey Haller or Elvis Cole), defending the little guy against the odds--it seemed like it had been done before. I will probably listen to the next in the series, but with the next book containing the familiar plot of the BFF/lover/lead investigator accused of a murder we all know she could not have committed, I'm not excited about it; it seems like more ground that has already been covered.

84 books for the year. Not bad. Probably 2/3 of them are audios

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Good month and year Carol! We do love our audio books! You work and exercise while reading, I drive... Better for you! Perhaps in 2013 I will walk more while listening at least.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "84 books for the year. Not bad. Probably 2/3 of them are audios "

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1199 comments Looks like lots of good audios.

While Thomas H. Cook's books may be dark they are always well written and he never stoops to gratuitous violence for shock value.

I was not bowled over by Open and Shut either but did like his second book First Degreea bit more.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I really like the David Rosenfelt books. Maybe it's because he loves his dog so much.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments Oh good, Sandi, that makes me look forward to it more than I was.

Sandi wrote: "
I was not bowled over by Open and Shut either but did like his second book First Degreea bit more.
.."

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments Open and Shut was definitely my least favorite of the series - and I have grown to really like this series. I think the next several in the series will win you over.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7899 comments I have the next one on request from the library, so we will find out soon!

Dawn wrote: "Open and Shut was definitely my least favorite of the series - and I have grown to really like this series. I think the next several in the series will win you over."