Well Trained Mind Readers discussion

2013 Book a week - week one

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin Mccormack (robinmccormack) | 39 comments Let's Read. Your first mission, should you choose to accept it, involves reading across the continents. We are starting off the year in Canadaand will eventually end up Antarctica. Every couple months we'll travel to another continent. You can travel along or meander your way around the world. So put on your reading shoes, get comfortable and enjoy. Be sure to check out the 52 Books blog and all the mini challenges.

www.read52booksin52weeks.com

What are you reading this week?

message 3: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Working on Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell.

message 5: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Stacia wrote: "Working on Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell."

Ah, this is on my to-read shelf. I'd be interested to know if you enjoyed it once you're finished.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 1 comments If anyone is looking for Canadian inspiration, I like the Canada Reads debates on CBC. Each year five (fairly) famous Canadians choose a (Canadian) book to defend. Over the years they've had translations from French, graphic novels, classics etc. The 2013 list is out on the CBC website, and the old lists are also linked.

message 7: by Robin (last edited Jan 02, 2013 10:37AM) (new)

Robin Mccormack (robinmccormack) | 39 comments Erica wrote: "If anyone is looking for Canadian inspiration, I like the Canada Reads debates on CBC. Each year five (fairly) famous Canadians choose a (Canadian) book to defend. Over the years they've had tran..."

Awesome - Thanks for pointing this out. Heading over to check it out now.

message 8: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments If anyone wants to read some interesting Canadian history from the perspective of settlers, these authors are good:

Catherine Parr Traill and

Susanna Moodie

There are also some good suggestions from the Ambleside Canadian site: http://www.amblesideonline.org/Canada...

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Chumley (kathleenchumley) | 2 comments I saw that Susanna Moodie's writings were referenced often in Alias Grace. Even though I gave up on the Atwood book, my interest in Moodie's writings was piqued. I might add her to my TBR list.

message 11: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 1 comments I am reading Wolf Hall I plan on reading Island of the Blue Dolphinsnext. I'm interested on how you enjoyed The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie, Lesley.

message 12: by Lesley (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:08PM) (new)

Lesley (wiseowlknits) | 11 comments I'm not done with The Wilder Life, but I'm close. Have you read it? I think it would have been a lot better if it was about 150 pages shorter. After a while, it seemed a lot of her repeating herself.

I'm a huge Little House fan so maybe my expectations were just too high?

ETA: I just finished it. It was OK. I wouldn't say it was great. Like I said, maybe my expectations were just too high. I wanted to hear more about Laura and less about the author and how she felt about Laura.