Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2013-01 - Magic - Post January Reviews here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments so i'm probably jumping the gun a bit, but since I just managed to devour a book that was shelved as magic, I thought I would throw the thread up

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments being as I am sick as crap right now - sleep is totally not happening so I read Visions of Skyfire - I kind of like this take on a PNR romance, because the paranormal aspect isn't just accepted by society like it seems in so many others - rather the witches are being hunted down by the magical police. I have the 3rd book in the series to read, and hope to start it soon

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Dead Reckoning - This is one of the weakest books in the series, the characters were really getting on my nerves. I was glad to finish this, won't be in hurry to read the next book.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - this was an interesting read. It had been on my shelf for a while, a friend gave it to me saying I didn't like this but you will. She was right I did like it but I can't say why.

message 4: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8584 comments Mod
@Karen, reckon you should wait for the final (#13) book to come out and read both in one swoop to finish off the series. I wasn't that impressed by #12 either but I do want to finish the series.

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Just finished Burning Alive which I gave 3 stars. Some parts of the world building were really novel (really liked the business of the lifemark) but it has my most hated trope in PNR: the man who needs the woman to survive. I don't want a man to HAVE to be with me but one that CHOOSES to be with me and having the man in position of a slave is not a turn on for me. Unless friends really recommend it, I won't be continuing the series.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments I felt the same way DG...to me the whole world-building in general sucked - I thought I had missed a prequel or something

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments It was all over the place. I didn't get why the heroine was so hung up on that vision. Before she met all the paranormal people, how could you believe that will become true?

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments IDK...I was just sooo confused - which sucks because lots of ppl on amazon in threads recommended it

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments If I start a series that's well recommended and I end up not liking it, at least now I know that I'm not missing anything! :)

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Tien wrote: "@Karen, reckon you should wait for the final (#13) book to come out and read both in one swoop to finish off the series. I wasn't that impressed by #12 either but I do want to finish the series."

As there are only two books to go I probably will finish the series, if it had been an early book in the series then I'd have definitely given up.

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I read Scent of Magic. This was a nice solid "liked" for me. I hadn't remembered much from the first book and really didn't get the connection between Avry and Kerrick, so I probably should have re-read the first book before reading this one. Nevertheless, I liked it enough to know that I do want to finish the series. Three stars.

message 12: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I also finished Priceless last night. This looks like a promising new series for me to keep an eye out for. I liked Rylee and I really liked the magical creatures (Alex, Dox and Eve). They were all very distinct. Even the love interest was interesting. I am hoping the writing develops to become even better and this doesn't become a stereotypical series.

message 13: by Darci (new)

Darci (luminique) | 32 comments I just finished The Name of the Wind. It's all about a young man seeking to learn magic in order to maybe take vengeance someday. There are cute parts about his awkwardness with girls and he makes some spectacular mistakes with his teachers. Most of the book is him telling the story about his past, while there's a framing device involving a current threat. This is the first in a trilogy and I look forward to reading the others.

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Mindy wrote: "I read Scent of Magic. This was a nice solid "liked" for me. I hadn't remembered much from the first book and really didn't get the connection between Avry and Kerrick, so I probably should have r..."

Mindy - I actually had to re-read the end of the first book to get into the mood for this one.

message 15: by Rora (new)

Rora Darci wrote: "I just finished The Name of the Wind. It's all about a young man seeking to learn magic in order to maybe take vengeance someday. There are cute parts about his awkwardness with girls and he makes ..."

I read that book in the summer and enjoyed it also.

message 16: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Just finished Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) by Kevin Hearne by Kevin Hearne, which I gave 3 stars. As usual, this was exciting book, full of interesting action and unexpected twists but I got mad by the way the business with Atticus and Granuaile got resolved. When I read a book in the first person, I expect to know something about that person's emotions but the author spent more time on wisecracks that on really revealing Atticus' feelings. Full Review

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3441 comments Mod
I read Akata Witch. Not one of the ones I'd planned on, but it looked like a quick fun read yesterday. My review here .

message 18: by Rora (new)

Rora I read Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson and gave it three stars. I liked the fantasy aspects of the book and the heroine. I didn't care for the romance part of it, but that is just my personal preference. I like romances that are either light hearted or tragic, but not the ones with constant sexual tension.

message 19: by Ebony (new)

Ebony Taylor | 95 comments I read Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones, and I really like it! I love these kind of books, set in a world that somewhat resembles our own, but with the presence of magic and witchcraft/wizardry. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series, and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Harry Potter :)

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Just finished Rivers of London, and I'll give it four stars. I really liked this, I thought it was a good, entertaining read. Unputdownable, bring on book two in the series.

message 21: by Tien (new)

wow, I'm impressed - so much reading in the first week of January! I hope everyone has had a good break & fantastic raeds :D

message 22: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I finished Shadow and Bone. This was a good book with a vaguely Russian feel. As it is the first one in a trilogy, I can't imagine where the next books are going to go. I will definitely have to check them out. Three stars.

I also read Princess of Glass. This was a cute re-telling of Cinderella. Very loosely based. A low three stars, but I will read the next one in the series because I wasn't disgusted and still feel like I need to finish off the series.

I also read Foretold. I was so disgusted by the ending of the third book in the series that I had a hard time convincing myself to read this one and I actually checked it out of the library rather than buying it like I had the other three. However, I really ended up enjoying this book and was so glad that Riley actually experienced some character growth. This was a really good entry in the series. If there is another one, I will have to read that one too. And I may just have to buy this one for my own collection. Four stars.

message 23: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Tien wrote: "wow, I'm impressed - so much reading in the first week of January! I hope everyone has had a good break & fantastic raeds :D"

This is a strong shelf for a bunch of us! :)

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Moon Over Soho, this is the second in the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch. I enjoyed this even more than the first book. Magic, vampires and river spirits all in modern day London, really good enjoyable read.

message 25: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I finished Ghost Story. It took me a long time to get through this book. Though I have found that the Dresden Files series is a really excellent series, it is usually an exhausting read living through all the turmoil Harry goes through. This book follows that same pattern. Still, an excellent book. Four stars.

message 26: by Susan (new)

I read Neverwhere, and really enjoyed it. I gave it 4 stars. My review here .

message 27: by Vi (new)

Vi | 123 comments I read most of Butcher's Codex Alera series last week. That is, book 2 to 6. It's a very average epic military fantasy series. The protagonist was too perfect. Everything was sooo neat and clean that it frustrated me. (view spoiler)

I might hit on a few other books for this shelf.

message 28: by Tien (last edited Jan 11, 2013 03:21AM) (new)

I realised that I have read a few books for this shelf but just didn't think about them being on this shelf! One of my un-thinking moments ;p

Dreams of the Ringed Vale (Luthiel's Song 1) -my LOST book :) I've had this book for a long time on my TBR cuz it's just not a book that's easily accessible in Australia. Finally, I saw it was on sale as kindle so I took the plunge and bought it a few months ago. I really enjoyed it as it fits within my comfort zone comfortably - a fantasy with elves and wizards, magic, magical creatures, and somewhat paranormal as well (I think there may be vampires...) Whilst it wasn't a Dark Fantasy, it leant towards the darker side of things. 5 stars.

The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm 1) - meh, this was just okay for me. It was fun reading fairy tale characters given breath in the modern world but I just didn't like the characters. 2 stars.

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles 1) - OMG, Cyborg Cinderella, need I say more?!? *in excited tone of voice* I'm a bit of a princess and adores Cinderella so I loved reading Cinderella re-tellings. This one is a bit unusual though (Dystopian, Cyborgs, Androids, Lunars aka Moon people) but I really liked it because it was unusual and Cinder was such a strong character! There's a story in the book about a Moon Princess and I'm not sure if there is a real myth out there similar to this but it reminds me a lot of Sailor Moon and I Adore Sailor Moon so that's another reason why I devoured this one in a few hours 4.5 stars.

Playing Beatie Bow -an Aussie time travel classic! What can I say? I'm a sucker for time travel and because it's set in an area I know well, I have vivid images in my head which I love having in reading. The ending was pretty predictable though there was a bit of unexpected twist (yay!). 5 stars.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Bloodsucking Fiends - blah, the best I can say about this is that is was a quick and easy read. In it's female lead it had one of the most whiney and irritating characters ever created.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments Tien - I remember readnig Playing Beatie Bow in high school (I think) or late in elementary school - have you seen the old school movie? totally worth it

message 31: by Tien (new)

Dee wrote: "Tien - I remember readnig Playing Beatie Bow in high school (I think) or late in elementary school - have you seen the old school movie? totally worth it"

I was thinking of searching for a copy somewhere but I went on youtube and watched some snippets, wasn't sure if it was something I'd like to watch but if you recommend it... I'll have to find a copy!

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments i mean, its been like 20 years since i watched it (jeez, am I really that old!) - but for the era it was made, its pretty good I htink

message 33: by Bea (last edited Jan 13, 2013 09:04AM) (new)

Bea | 4523 comments Mod
Hey! I read a book that 9 people have shelved as MAGIC! Imagine that - me reading a book in the month the shelf is active!

Shadowland by Meg Cabot. Actually my copy says it is by Jenny Carroll, which is a pseudonym for Ms. Cabot.

I really enjoyed this YA book about Suze who interacts with ghosts. I am not sure why I am enjoying that particular genre so much but I do. It appeals more to me than the vampire style. Also not sure why this got shelved as MAGIC as it has nothing to do with magic. Exorcisim yes...magic no.

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2569 comments finished up Dark Currents which is the first in Carey's new series - I liked the mix of magic in a small town and how it wasn't just accepted (this seems to be a common theme), plus the use of norse mythology rather than greek/romance

message 35: by Rora (new)

Rora I'm working on re-reading the Harry Potter series, last week I read books 1-3. I also have been watching the movies again, it's fun to read the book and then watch the movie and see what changes were made.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Whispers Underground, the third book in the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch and the best so far. Read in one sitting, couldn't put it down.

message 37: by Susan (last edited Jan 14, 2013 08:35AM) (new)

The Alchemist hadn't been on my planned list for the month, but I so enjoyed the author's The Windup Girl last month that I scarfed it up instantly. It's a sweet little novella, and magic is very much at its heart. My review here .

Now I'm off to find the paired novella by Tobias Buckell that's set in the same world.

message 38: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments Beautiful Redemption was definitely about the journey and as such I enjoyed it. It did seem to get a little repetative. I also missed the interactions between Link and Ethan. Actually, I missed all of the vintage Link scenes. This book was really focused on Lena and Ethan. Probably a high three stars, but I rounded up to four.

message 39: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1623 comments I read The Goose Girl which was a YA read. I enjoyed this fairy tale re-tell.

message 40: by Susan (new)

I enjoyed The Magicians' Guild and gave it 3 stars. My review here .

message 41: by Susan (new)

I hadn't chosen Ysabel because of the magic shelf, but it turns out to be there. Personally, I'd call it more fantasy, mystical rather than magical. But it's terrific either way. I actually finished it several days ago, but have been slow in writing my review. I gave it 4 stars. My review here .

message 42: by Rora (new)

Rora LynnB wrote: "I read The Goose Girl which was a YA read. I enjoyed this fairy tale re-tell."

That's one of my favorite fairy tale retellings. Glad you enjoyed it.

message 43: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I finished White Cat. This was an interesting book. I liked the mystery part of it. I didn't really connect with or like any of the characters very much though. I probably won't be reading the next one in the series. Still, three stars.

I also finished Daughter of Smoke & Bone. I really had to force myself to continue reading this book though I don't know why. It is something that would normally appeal to me, but I just had a hard time. By the end it was getting pretty good though, so I gave it three stars also. I may or may not read the next book in the series depending on the description and the reviews.

message 44: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments Last night I read Girl of Nightmares. This was a good second book, though you would have definitely needed to read the first one to understand what was going on with this one. Again, I really liked Cas and his interactions with Carmel and Thomas. Did not like Jestine. Four stars.

message 45: by Vi (new)

Vi | 123 comments I started the epic Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. I finished the first book - Gardens of the Moon yesterday and it was awesome. The author drops you in the middle of the action without a big explanation of the world. Somewhere after the first 50-100 pages, you get used to it and you start understanding the world bit by bit. And then, in the last 100 pages everything happens. I couldn't put the book down. I'm eager to pick the next book but I'm trying to stagger them with a week's time in between them.

message 46: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 245 comments Mindy wrote: "I finished White Cat. This was an interesting book. I liked the mystery part of it. I didn't really connect with or like any of the characters very much though. I probably won't be reading the ..."

I really liked Daughter of Smoke & Bone, much more than I anticipated I would (it was a group read for one of my other groups), but I felt somehow disappointed by the second. I will probably read the third when it comes out, but it will be more to just finish the story than because I loved it. I guess it depends on the kind of reader you are :). I get a little complusive about finishing series, unless I just hate them I usually read to the end.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in.

message 47: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments CassieV wrote: "Mindy wrote: "I finished White Cat. This was an interesting book. I liked the mystery part of it. I didn't really connect with or like any of the characters very much though. I probably won't b..."

I read the reviews for the second book and it sounded as though you either loved it or hated it and that it was a struggle to get into. Since I had to struggle through the first one, I thought I would just wait and see what they say about the third one, though I usually like to finish a series also. Unless I get fed up with it!

message 48: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I read Gift of Magic by Lynn Kurland yesterday. I must admit, that this author has written some of my favorite books and I really like the Nine Kingdoms series. This was not one of my favorite entries in the series, but I still liked it. I really liked how the romance was gentle in this book as opposed to being all strong and lustful and angsty like what seems to dominate the market right now (and has for years). I am giving it three stars, mostly because it was a nice change of pace.

message 49: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I really liked Dreamspinner. Aisling was lovely and enjoyed her very much. I also liked how the story reminded me a little of Sleeping Beauty--maybe the spinning wheel aspects of it. Can't wait for this tale to continue! Four stars.

message 50: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Mindy wrote: "I read the reviews for the second book and it sounded as though you either loved it or hated it and that it was a struggle to get into. Since I had to struggle through the first one, I thought I would just wait and see what they say about the third one, though I usually like to finish a series also. Unless I get fed up with it! "

I loved the first book but I found the second book emotionally draining. I still thought it was terrific and give kudos to the author for treating her theme seriously and not downplaying the whole thing but it was still tough.

« previous 1