Fans of Maps discussion

Group Challenges & Group Reads > "Spring" 2013 Group Read nominations & poll

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 644 comments Mod
So, is one of your New Year's resolutions to get more out of your reading by participating in discussions about books? Join us!

Right now I'm collecting nominations of titles we could read together, then we'll have a poll (and a run-off if necessary), and I hope to open the discussion Feb 15 and keep it running for a couple of months until all who are interested have had a chance to participate.

So, in a PM I got a nomination for The Discovery of France: A Historical Geography from the Revolution to the First World War. Part of what Lynne shared with me: "'The Discovery of France explains how the modern nation came to be and how poorly understood that nation still is today. Above all, it shows how much of France—past and present—remains to be discovered. A New York Times Notable Book, Publishers Weekly Best Book, Slate Best Book, and Booklist Editor's Choice. 16 pages of illustrations.'

I enjoyed this quirky book immensely."

What would you like to read with the group? Please provide the link and say something briefly about why you chose it. Up to three nominations per person, if you really care about all the titles you recommend.

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 152 comments I'd like to read The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate. Probably more about geography and geopolitics than about maps per se, but sounds fascinating to me.

Or Disease Maps: Epidemics on the Ground, which sounds like it's more map focused.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Those both sound interesting to me, too. Anybody else?

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Ok one more, a new friend just gave five stars to Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/77...

If you want to have a say in what we read together, come vote!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Smith (arabicsmith) | 9 comments I've read both The Discovery of France and The Revenge of Geography. The Discovery of France remains one of my all-time favorites. Jam-packed with interesting and quirky stuff. It's on my list of books to re-read.

Can't say the same for The Revenge of Geography. See my review for details.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol Smith (arabicsmith) | 9 comments On the Map is already on my to-read list so I voted for it in the poll.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Thank you Carol - good to know!

message 10: by Bob (new)

Bob Gustafson I was given "On the Map" as a gift. Making it a group read would be further motivation for me to read it.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Well, so far it's winning, and we've only a couple more days to vote!

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

And the winner is: On the Map: A Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks! All the books look interesting to me, and I'd be glad to buddy read any of them, but for now...

Feb 15 we'll be opening the Group Discussion for Simon Garfield's new book. I hope you can all either afford to buy it, already have it, or can get it from your library system, and start reading soon!

message 13: by Bob (new)

Bob Gustafson Feb 15!?! Spring begins on March 21. I thought that this was a "spring" read. Maybe you were writing about those metal spirals that are used in matresses. Is that what is meant by a "spring read"?

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol Smith (arabicsmith) | 9 comments In academia, spring means Jan 2-May 5. :-)

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol Smith (arabicsmith) | 9 comments Yay - looking forward to On the Map!

message 16: by Fran (new)

Fran Hutton (franvhutton) | 2 comments I will scheduled that book in for Feb 15th. Looking forward to my first group read with all of you. On the Map, here we go!

message 17: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 27, 2013 10:22AM) (new)

Exactly, Carol. I was going for a compromise twixt the sun and the school calendar. Plus, we'll keep the discussion open for people who don't want to join until the equinox (as I said in the first post :).

Welcome to everyone who can join us, at any point. I'm especially excited with the new members!

message 18: by John (last edited Jan 28, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

John Downey (ecowolf) | 4 comments HI All; I have On the Map ordered and shipped. As soon as it arrives I will start reading, however I have another semester with an ridiculous amount of reading, so the going will be slow. I am really looking forward to joining the book discussion!

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol Smith (arabicsmith) | 9 comments My copy just arrived today - can't wait to start on it.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

I'm still looking into finding a loaner, but with such enthusiasm from you-all I might have to buy it.