75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2013 Completed) > Lianne's 101 books in 2013!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Oct 17, 2013 08:28PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments I've gone from 37 books in 2010, to 72 books in 2011, to 90 books in 2012. I think I can still increase that number, so I'm going for 101 books in 2013! Here goes nothin'...

Good luck everyone! :)

Edit: I have no idea why, but my ticker has stopped moving at 59... so you'll just have to scroll to the end to see how far I've gotten!

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7807 comments Mod
Wow look at you go! That's basically 2 a week! Good luck!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments I had planned to have a book finished by now, but the NetGalley I was reading turned out to be just a preview of the book! So not impressed. Now it'll be a while til I can finish that one.

And I'm now starting quite a big book, so I won't be starting the 2013 challenge off with my usual head start!

message 4: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4115 comments Mod
Good luck Lianne!

message 5: by Karol (new)

Karol Lianne, I admire your goal-setting! That's a nice trend you've got going . . . Thanks for sticking with us in 2013.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments Thanks everyone! :)

Today I officially became 1 book behind! :P That's what happens when I start the year with a 600+ page book! I'll be done that one by the end of the weekend, though, and I've got a nice graphic novel lined up next to catch me right up.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 1. Geomancer (The Well of Echoes, #1) by Ian Irvine Geomancer (The Well of Echoes #1) by Ian Irvine

It had so much promise! All the signs were there that this would be an awesome, high fantasy, we have to save the world from unspeakable evil kind of book. But instead it's mostly about a very stupid young woman who does a lot of very stupid things. I'll probably check out the rest of the series to find out what happens, but I'm rather disappointed.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 2. 7 Generations A Plains Cree Saga by David Alexander Robertson 7 Generations: A Plains Cree Saga by David Alexander Robertson

This one was really good, and very powerful. A young Cree man learns about his family's history, from the early 1800s, through the residential schools, to the present.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 3. The Secret (Animorphs, #9) by Katherine Applegate The Secret (Animorphs #9) by K.A. Applegate

I love when the Animorphs try out a new, crazy morph. In this book it's termites, which turns out to be a very disturbing experience.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 4. The Uninvited by Liz Jensen The Uninvited by Liz Jensen

Creepy! In a The Happening kind of way, which is fun. (That movie only got bad ratings because of the bad acting; the story was good!) Stories about kids going crazy and killing people are always extra scary.

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

The Happening scared the shit out of me!! Lol

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments Elyse wrote: "The Happening scared the shit out of me!! Lol"

lol! Yeah it was pretty creepy. :)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 5. Shadows of Kings (Dragon Rising #1) by Jack Whitsel Shadows of Kings by Jack Whitsel

It's been so long since I read good high fantasy! I'm looking forward to more from this series/author. My one complaint is that it, like most high fantasy, really could have used a map and maybe a list of characters to refer to while reading.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 6. Damage Control (Joanna Brady, #13) by J.A. Jance Damage Control by J.A. Jance

I chose this book randomly from the mystery section at the library for the Out of Your Comfort Zone challenge. Sadly, it was awful. And I don't think it was the fact that it was a mystery. I liked the Millenium trilogy, after all. This one was just terribly written, and the cases were boring.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 7. Caarina the Cooking Fairy by Julia Dweck Caarina the Cooking Fairy by Julia Dweck

One day I'll have a kid and he or she will love Julia Dweck books. :)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 8. Bright Star by Nickie Anderson Bright Star by Nickie Anderson

A good dystopian, but I found that my enjoyment was lessened a bit by the fact that the main character is searching for her papa, who she thinks is so awesome, even though he's a total douchebag.

message 17: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "4. The Uninvited by Liz Jensen The Uninvited by Liz Jensen

Creepy! In a The Happening kind of way, which is fun. (That movie only got bad ratings because of the bad acting; the story was go..."

This does look interesting, though I read another interesting-sounding book by Liz Jensen a few years back and wasn't impressed, so I doubt I'll pick this one up without some outside intervention. I'd just hate to be disappointed if I already had an inkling it might not be for me. (I've been resisting Gone Girl for the same reason.)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments Charleen wrote: "This does look interesting, though I read another interesting-sounding book by Liz Jensen a few years back and wasn't impressed, so I doubt I'll pick this one up without some outside intervention. I'd just hate to be disappointed if I already had an inkling it might not be for me. (I've been resisting Gone Girl for the same reason.) "

This is my first Liz Jensen book, so I can't identify patterns, but I can say that this one had a great story, but took a while to get moving.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 9. The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab The Archived by Victoria Schwab

OMG SO GOOD. That is all.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 10. The Android (Animorphs, #10) by Katherine Applegate The Android (Animorphs #10) by K.A. Applegate

Another really good one in this series. Finally you learn what happens to the rest of someone's mass when they morph something smaller than they are. I still don't know where they get the extra mass to morph elephants, though.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 11. The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl

This one is now officially in my collection of kids books to keep for my future child! It's a great story, about a crocodile that wants to eat children, and all the other jungle animals get in the way of his plans.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 12. Burnish Me Bright by Julia Cunningham Burnish Me Bright by Julia Cunningham

This book has actually been on my shelf since elementary school! That means the early to mid 90s. Crazy. Anyway, it's about a mute boy who befriends an old man who was a famous mime. It's very sweet. :)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 13. The Ghost Witch by Betty Ren Wright The Ghost Witch by Betty Ren Wright

I love Betty Ren Wright. She was one of my favourite authors as a kid, when I discovered her books in the children's section at the local library. At the time they were quite scary. Now they're just plain fun.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 14. The Forgotten (Animorphs, #11) by Katherine Applegate The Forgotten (Animorphs #11) by K.A. Applegate

This one was so good! Animorphs + time travel = my kinda book.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 15. The Reaction (Animorphs, #12) by Katherine Applegate The Reaction (Animorphs #12) by K.A. Applegate

Rachel acquires a morph she's allergic to, with very messy and dangerous consequences. Another good one.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 16. Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #2) by Anne Rice Lasher (The Mayfair Chronicles #2) by Anne Rice

So many people who loved The Witching Hour said that Lasher wasn't very good, but I liked it even better! I'm looking forward to the third book.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 17. Uglies Cutters (Uglies Graphic Novel #2) by Scott Westerfeld Uglies: Cutters by Scott Westerfeld

Once again, the story didn't translate well to art. All the guys looked the same. :(

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 18. Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic Version 5 by Bruce Buzbee Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic Version 5 by Bruce Buzbee

A good guide to the software, but definitely aimed at people way less computer literate than me.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 19. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

The writing was at times painfully dumbed down, but eventually the story pulled me in and I ended up really liking it.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 20. The ABACUS Protocol Sanity Vacuum by Thea Isis Gregory The ABACUS Protocol: Sanity Vacuum by Thea Gregory

This was a really good sci fi novel, about a quantum supercomputer that gains sentience, in a universe that hates and fears sentient computers.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 21. Water Harvest by Eric Diehl Water Harvest by Eric Diehl

Overall a pretty good read, but it took me over a month! Which is crazy long for me! I'm not sure why.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 22. The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer The Host by Stephenie Meyer

I really enjoyed this one. Kind of a love triangle, but an interesting enough take on it that it didn't feel done to death. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie!

message 34: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I liked The Host as well but I'm very scared about the movie. I may have to re-read it, haven't read it since it came out.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments Elyse wrote: "I liked The Host as well but I'm very scared about the movie. I may have to re-read it, haven't read it since it came out."

If you're worried the movie won't meet your expectations, it's probably best not to reread the book right before seeing it. I find I always notice more problems with the movie if I've just read the book. :)

I'm hoping the movie will be good; the actors look good for the parts, but since most of them are not really well-known it's hard to know how good they'll be.

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Yeah, you're right, I should probably wait to re-read it. Most-likely won't be seeing it in theaters. Unless someone else pays! Lol

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments Umm, wow. I knew I was a few books behind in updating this thread, but apparently I haven't updated since before the 24 hour read-a-thon! So, here's a great big update! :)

23. The Witches by Roald Dahl The Witches by Roald Dahl

24. The Change (Animorphs, #13) by Katherine Applegate The Change (Animorphs #13) by K.A. Applegate

25. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins

26. Ghosts Beneath Our Feet by Betty Ren Wright Ghosts Beneath Our Feet by Betty Ren Wright

27. Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

28. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer

29. Wild Children by Richard Roberts Wild Children by Richard Roberts

30. The Andalite Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #1) by Katherine Applegate The Andalite Chronicles by K.A. Applegate

31. Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld #3) by Kelley Armstrong

message 39: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1527 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Umm, wow. I knew I was a few books behind in updating this thread, but apparently I haven't updated since before the 24 hour read-a-thon! So, here's a great big update! :)

I am SO behind updating mine. I've been having computer issues on and off for a couple months now and just haven't had the time to keep up. It's out having its motherboard replaced right now, and if that doesn't fix it then I don't know what we're going to do. Live without it, I guess.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 32. The Testing (The Testing, #1) by Joelle Charbonneau The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

33. Wars in Toyland by Joe Harris Wars in Toyland by Joe Harris

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 34. Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong

This series is so good! I was worried I wouldn't like the books that don't focus on Elena as much, but I'm enjoying Paige's adventures, too. :)

message 42: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I love the Women of the Otherworld series!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments Me too, Elyse! I don't know why it's taken me so long to keep reading this series!

35. The Orphanage of Miracles by Amy Neftzger The Orphanage of Miracles by Amy Neftzger

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 36. The Testing Guide (The Testing, #0.5) by Joelle Charbonneau The Testing Guide by Joelle Charbonneau

This was a free short story prequel to The Testing. Too short, if you ask me! It was a neat insight into Cia's older brother, Zeen, as he's hoping to be chosen for the Testing. But it was too short to have much substance to it. Most of the 57 pages are taken up by a preview of The Testing, which I've already read.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 37. Angel on the Ropes by Jill Shultz Angel on the Ropes by Jill Shultz

How could I resist a book about a trapeze artist? I love the circus. :)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 38. Brianna the Ballet Fairy by Julia Dweck Brianna the Ballet Fairy by Julia Dweck

message 47: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Sep 21, 2013 11:33PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 39. Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga, #1) by S.M. Boyce Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga #1) by S.M. Boyce

I really enjoyed this one.

DNF: The Emerald Tablet (Legends of Amun Ra, #1) by Joshua Silverman The Emerald Tablet by Joshua Silverman

My first Did Not Finish of the year. Too many things were bothering me, and as silly as it may sound, bad Star Trek references were what made me give up. I love a good Star Trek reference, but a bad one makes me cringe.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 40. Riding on a Beam of Light by Ramsey Dean Riding on a Beam of Light by Ramsey Dean

I read this kids' book about a young Albert Einstein for a blog tour. It was alright.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 41. Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway

I can barely express how much I love this book. I identified so strongly with the main character, Dawn, a recent university grad who's struggling to get by and find her path in life.

42. Hello Hot Lunch, Hello Cool Lunch by Lisa LeConte Hello Hot Lunch, Hello Cool Lunch by Lisa Leconte

Normally I don't read cookbooks right through, but this one was a review copy and pretty short. I didn't get much in the way of useful recipes out of it. It's mostly various cheese cutouts placed on top of food.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 522 comments 43. Love Rehab A Novel in Twelve Steps by Jo Piazza Love Rehab: A Novel in Twelve Steps by Jo Piazza

44. Red Moon by Benjamin Percy Red Moon by Benjamin Percy

« previous 1