Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Books for a Seven-Year-Old

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris | 3 comments I have a little guy who's reading below his grade level but he's really not interested in most books. I've been searching for books he might like so he can enjoy reading. He's reading around a 1st grade level. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 01, 2013 10:18AM) (new)

Manybooks | 7669 comments Mod
Kris, what are his interests? Would he perhaps be interested in advanced picture books with an ecological theme, perhaps a stunning visual and informative picture book like Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea, Coral Reefs or Redwoods.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 3 comments Gundula -We live on the water, so his interests do include things that deal with water like fishing and boating.

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7669 comments Mod
Kris wrote: "Gundula -We live on the water, so his interests do include things that deal with water like fishing and boating."

You should give Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea a try, then. Also, have you ever considered perhaps reading some of the Jules Verne classics to him (or even getting some abridged versions of the same to read to him, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea might be fun). And the book abut coral reefs is really interesting as well (a girl goes to the library and basically experiences a coral reef in the library itself, very cool).

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice  Durante | 27 comments Kris wrote: "I have a little guy who's reading below his grade level but he's really not interested in most books. I've been searching for books he might like so he can enjoy reading. He's reading around a 1st ..."

Kris, are you reading aloud to him regularly? Research indicates this is THE BEST thing you can do to help your child become a good reader. Many boys love humorous books. Have you tried Emily Jenkins' Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic? It's hilarious, and kids love it!

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Hall | 1 comments I've had a very similar situation with my 7 year old. He doesn't like taking the time to sound out the words. I decided to start reading to him, so that he would hopefully start enjoying the books. I picked out a bunch of chapter books (Ramona, Mouse and the Motorcycle, Harry Potter, etc) and let him choose one. We read one or two chapters per night and if he gets bored, we quite that book and try another. Eventually, we have found one that he enjoys and asks to read further before going to bed.

I'm hoping that if he starts enjoying reading, he will take more time to sound words out and increase his own reading skills.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 181 comments Two series that are popular among my reluctant boy first grade readers: Tiger Moth, Insect Ninja (Tiger Moth) and Hi! Fly Guy. Both are a series. The first is styled in a graphic novel format but at first grade reading level. Does he like animals? (many 7 year olds seem to)....your library might have a good series of animal easy readers.