YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Uglies (Uglies, #1)
This topic is about Uglies
Archived > Uglies by Scott Westerfeld: January 2013

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bethany One of our winning books for January was Uglies!!!

This one is pretty classic in the dystopian fan world, so I'm sure that a lot of us have already read it. For those that haven't, enjoy!

I personally didn't love this one, but it was less for the story and more for the dialogue. You'll see what I mean. But aside from me, I know this is a very popular and well loved series, so I hope that if you haven't read it, you give it a shot!

Happy Reading!

Keri Rico (thebookheroine) | 2 comments I really enjoyed this series! Though I agree completely with the issue on dialogue. I was turned off by the slang. It sounded so much like grade-school children coming up with silly words. Loved the story, characters, and the flow through the entire series.

Evelyn (katiechainsaw) | 2 comments Keri (The Book Heroine) wrote: "I really enjoyed this series! Though I agree completely with the issue on dialogue. I was turned off by the slang. It sounded so much like grade-school children coming up with silly words. Loved th..."

I wasn't much of a fan of Uglies and had the same issue with the dialogue. The language was just too repetitive and silly for me to properly enjoy the story.

Bethany Yeah, I think I might have gripped my hair a couple of times. I remember thinking 'If they say bubbly one more time, I'm gonna freak out!'

David Estes (davidestesbooks) LOL, yeah true, I think that was one of the reasons the books didn't get the best overall ratings, but they're pretty fun too if you look past all that!

message 6: by Teiamarie (new) - added it

Teiamarie | 2 comments Well crud!! I was really looking forward to reading this series based on the recommendations of friends but I had such a huge issue with Blood Red Road (which is supposed to be fantastic) because of the slang and dialogue, I wonder now if I can do it. I put BRR down and maybe I'll get back to it one day but I'll have to overcome my inner spelling, grammar, punctuation nazi first. I guess I'll have to conquer it sooner than I thought if I'm going to get into this series...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I kind of had the same issue too! With the storyline and the plot in this series, I hoped that the characters (especially Tally) would slowly pull out of the "bubbly-talk" throughout the books as a way to symbolize her perspective widening and her becoming less naive about the society she lives in. Unfortunately, she never really gets past it and by the end of the third book (where tally is still the main character, since book 4 has a new protagonist) I'm kind of bummed. I feel like, had she progressed past the slang that the rest of the "pretty" community is brainwashed to use, her character development that occurred would have had a more profound effect.

Bethany Yeah, I agree with Lea. I love BRR, it took me about ten pages to get over the way the book was written. By then, I was so interested in what was happening that I kinda just forgot about the slang and the lacking punctuation. You should definitely try to push through it, Teiamarie! It will totally be worth it!

Uglies was just lacking something for me. The concept of the book was really interesting and I liked the rebels and all. I guess, for me, the book just didn't have the 'total package' thing going for it. I didn't love the main character. I couldn't stand reading half the dialogue because I found it super annoying. And with something like dialogue, that can just completely ruin a book for certain people if they don't connect to the story because they're so distracted by the language. I think that was my problem. I kinda had this attitude of 'I don't care what happens to any of you because you are all getting an my nerves. Can you please stop speaking like 13 year olds!!!'

Alex (alexalgebra) | 4 comments I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book and this series!! I thought the slang was clever...I have definitely found myself accidentally saying things like "happy-making" since reading the book. I didn't like the third book of the series much, and the fourth was so-so, but I thought the first two were brilliant.

message 10: by Jes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jes | 2 comments Alex wrote: "I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book and this series!! I thought the slang was clever...I have definitely found myself accidentally saying things like "happy-making" since reading the book. I didn't lik..."

I say happy-making and bubbly all the time! My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. :]

Danielle | 5 comments Just joined the group, but I read this book already!

So many good things going on in the story, the question of would you rather be smart or pretty, would you rather be yourself or fit in with everyone else?

I was okay with the slang (a lot of scifi writers do this to take you out of your world) but what distracted me was all of the hovering, LOL. I kept thinking of Back to the Future II with the hoverboards.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Lol welcome to the conversation :) Yeah the slang was cool although maybe overdone? Definitely lots of hovering!

Bethany I really liked the hovering. Especially when she rode through the woods with David. I could totally see it. I thought his writing was great when it came to the descriptive parts.

I guess the best way to explain why I couldn't handle the slang was to say that it was like being in high school again and these kids have this cryptic way of talking that you can barely understand, all you know is it's annoying and they sound more like their twelve rather than 16 or 17. That's what I didn't like about the slang.

I honestly love the premise of this book and despite her being irksome at times, I really like Tally's character.

Alison Swearingen Just joined the group, but I read this book when I was about twelve myself, so I guess that was why the slang didn't bother me so much. I really enjoyed this whole series and loved Tally! I think if I read them again now, five years later, it would seem childish, but they were quite enjoyable for me as a young teen.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Cool I liked them as a 31yo too! But I'm sort of a kid at heart ;)