YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

The Farm (The Farm, #1)
This topic is about The Farm
Archived > The Farm by Emily McKay: January 2013

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bethany Another tie for book of the month in January. So to start off the new year we've got an oldie and...

the newbie: The Farm by Emily McKay!

Now, I really love it when Dystopian incorporates a little paranormal in the story. So, The Farm is a lot like Angelfall in that sense, at least that is the impression that I get. I am really excited for this book and I hope it turns out to be as fantastic as Angelfall!

message 2: by Teiamarie (new) - added it

Teiamarie | 2 comments I haven't started this book yet but I really want to! It keeps sitting on my bookshelf staring at me... :)

I loved Angelfall but holy cow! The part with the little kids seriously creeped me out!

Bethany I just finished the book. I don't know if I liked it as much as Angelfall, but it was pretty good. It had some really interesting concepts in it. The main character is a twin, but her twin is autistic. I don't want to give more of the story away, but it's just really creative. I thought the author was a great writer and I really enjoyed the book!

Lorrie | 42 comments My son and I are reading it, so it'll take awhile (we usually only read 1-2 chapters a night depending on length). I think we're around page 100. Withought giving anything away, I've become a little disillusioned after Carter's chapter. Really? That kind of changed the tone of the book for me...

Bethany Jog my memory for me? What about Carter's chapter?

Lorrie | 42 comments How he's been looking for her? She may be the key? That whole angle kinda changed the tone of the book for me. I'm geared more for the horror aspect of this book, but am not so sure about the supernatural. Although my interest is up after he rescued her in a Collab uniform...that's where we're at right now.

Bethany ah...I see. Yes. This book was lacking in some ways, i have to admit. The horror aspect really isn't that strong. Their is one part at the end where the author kicks it up a notch and I think you'll be pretty surprised and possibly infuriated with the ending. Let me know what you thing :)

Lorrie | 42 comments Just finished. So I had the abductura-thing figured out pretty early on, but the other twist at the end surprised me! But overall, I still feel slightly letdown at the angle the book took. I really wish it would've been horror/survival and not paranormal. I don't know...I just didn't really connect with it unfortunately.

Bethany Lorrie wrote: "Just finished. So I had the abductura-thing figured out pretty early on, but the other twist at the end surprised me! But overall, I still feel slightly letdown at the angle the book took. I really..."

Yeah, I get you. I liked the book okay, but there was definitely something missing. I lost connection a bit too, I think.

Sarah May | 2 comments I loved it quite honestly but maybe it is because I can relate to the autism part of it. I was kind of disappointed with the ending.