Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Afloam's 50 in 2013

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I said I was going to do this last year, but I have no idea if I actually did because I didn't keep track!

I've decided to make this easier on myself by making a different shelf for the books I want to read that I already own, and the books I want to read that I don't. So more of a to-do list shelf, really.

I read pretty quickly, so I imagine my biggest challenge is going to be getting enough books xD Think I may end up getting a library card again!

Wish me luck, and if anyone has any recommendations I'm always open =D

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I just made this easier for myself. I had a trawl round my room, and found 21 unread/unfinished books. Along with a good 7 or 8 classics/humble bundle downloads I have on my kindle, I'm off to a good start with the whole book acquisition thing xD

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

First three books down!

Wicked - Gregory Macguire
I'd started reading this before the new year, but I hadn't finished it. I'm an avid fan of the musical, and while I went the novel knowing that they were starkly different, I still very much enjoyed it, and with the exception of characters like Fiyero, found it added a lot of depth to my understanding and appreciation of the characters in the musical. (Fiyero is vastly different in both) The book has a lot more in-world politics than the musical, and this put my sister off reading it, but despite its unexpected complexity, I really enjoyed it.

Ella Mental: And the Good Sense Guide - Amber Deckers
I stole this from my school library a little while back (as in, when I still attended that school, so at least a few years!) and felt I ought to honour the theft by actually reading it. It was a quick, enjoyable read, but I think I would have preferred reading it a few years ago, I'm a little older than its target market by now, and it shows.

The Last Little Blue Envelope - Maureen Johnson
I was really dissapointed by this book! Maureen Johnson is an author I really like, both as an interesting person and for her other books that I've read - '13 Little Blue Envelopes' and 'The Name of the Star'. A sequel that came purely from demand (as she acknowledges in the prologue), the plot felt contrived, and the things that gave it soul from the first book (the beautiful portraits of different places and people in Europe and the confusing witticisms from the letters from her Aunt who is getting progressively more unwell) were lacking, with only one letter, and the European visits seeming rather contrived. There also seemed to be a lot of character retcon, which served just to push a new romantic interest, which was predictable, and kind of blahh. I'm sad that this book dissapointed me, but it probably won't put me off reading different series by MJ - so long as she plans them to be series first!

message 4: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1790 comments Mod
Ruth wrote: "Ella Mental: And the Good Sense Guide - Amber Deckers
I stole this from my school library a little while back (as in, when I still attended that school, so at least a few years!) and felt I ought to honour the theft by actually reading it."

Ha! Nice :)