52 weeks, 52 books discussion

What's the group about?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
Read here for a full explanation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/catheri...

message 2: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (gelly) | 3 comments Great idea!! I agree with your thoughts on popular music and relating it to books. I look forward to reading along!

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Angelica wrote: "Great idea!! I agree with your thoughts on popular music and relating it to books. I look forward to reading along!"

Thanks, Angelica. Great to have you here!

message 4: by Berfu (new)

Berfu | 19 comments Sounds like fun! I am in.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Brackmann | 21 comments I can't promise I'll read all the books, but I will really be interested in seeing what everyone thinks of them.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annhite) | 1 comments I'm in. I have never read what is popular. This should be an experience for me.

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah  McDaniel  (rdhdleah) | 1 comments When will book #2 be revealed? I have read Gone Girl and would like to get the next book!

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Joan wrote: "I've already read (listened to, actually) Gone Girl. Does it count? Do I need to read it again?"

No need to read it again, if you won't want to - it definitely counts!

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Leah wrote: "When will book #2 be revealed? I have read Gone Girl and would like to get the next book!"

It will be revealed when the NYT list goes up on Saturday for next week.

message 10: by Thien-Kim (new)

Thien-Kim (thienkim) Thanks for the invite Catherine! I'm in. I've read an ARC of Gone Girl before it was released and was not surprised to see it on so many 2012 top lists.

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (neednewspace) | 9 comments I'm in but, I'm hoping to do 75 books this year so I may jump ahead a little but that's my Goal! Gone Girl is next on my list just picked it up today!

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (neednewspace) | 9 comments I'm in but, I'm hoping to do 75 books this year so I may jump ahead a little but that's my Goal! Gone Girl is next on my list just picked it up today!

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (janarzooman) | 31 comments I've had a crazy week and haven't obtained the book yet. when does the discussion for each book start and is there a cut off point? should there be separate threads for spoilers? i probably shouldn't have done this, but I read some of the comments about Gone Girl already and so now I'm trying to "forget" them before I start reading. when the NYT list goes up on Saturdays, is that the "start"?

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara (boomda181) | 1 comments This is fun, I am not sure if I will be able to keep up, but I do have the ebook version of Gone Girl. I will give this a try!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Elliott | 5 comments Thanks for the invite. I'm really looking forward to this challenge. I just downloaded Gone Girl and it will keep me company on a trip from CA to FL tomorrow. Great idea! So many people have been suggesting this book to me.

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Jan wrote: "I've had a crazy week and haven't obtained the book yet. when does the discussion for each book start and is there a cut off point? should there be separate threads for spoilers? i probably shouldn..."

Yes, the start is on Saturday - I'll post tomorrow morning what the next week's book is - good point on the spoilers, though, I'll post about putting SPOILER ALERT when I post for the next book.

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (janarzooman) | 31 comments thanks, Catherine. I didn't have time to get to the library so I sucked it up & bought it for my Kindle, reading it on my smart phone. Like it so far! Will join in discussion soon.

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite, Catherine. I'm like another poster here, might not read along with all of them, but I'm interested in seeing what books you'll be reading and what people are saying.

I have Gone Girl on my kindle already - Gillian Flynn is an awesomely talented (if DARK) author.

message 19: by Thien-Kim (new)

Thien-Kim (thienkim) If you like Gillian Flynn, I suggest you read her first novel, Sharp Objects. It's creepy and well written. Not the roller coaster ride like Gone Girl, but just as good.

message 20: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (knitpurlmama) | 7 comments Catherine, how are you? Happy near year! (Looking forward to the release of your next novel!) What happens if a book is on the best seller's list as number 1, but twice? Has that happened before, where stays number 1 or becomes number 1 again in the same year? I've never followed the best seller's list before, so I don't know how it works, but am wondering. Do we then choose the next book in the number 2 spot? This group is a fun idea - I am going to try to keep up!

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Robyn wrote: "Catherine, how are you? Happy near year! (Looking forward to the release of your next novel!) What happens if a book is on the best seller's list as number 1, but twice? Has that happened before, w..."

Hi Robyn, yup, that can happen. If it does, I'll pick the bestseller from one of the other lists - non-fiction or e-books or trade-paperback; there are a bunch of them. Glad to have you aboard!

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Thien-Kim wrote: "If you like Gillian Flynn, I suggest you read her first novel, Sharp Objects. It's creepy and well written. Not the roller coaster ride like Gone Girl, but just as good."

I've read both her other novels (after reading Gone Girl), but prefer gone girl myself.

message 23: by Literary (new)

Literary Catherine wrote: "Read here for a full explanation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/catheri..."

Thank you for the invite. This sounds like a wonderful idea. I am also quite guilty of having read almost nothing on the best sellers list. Fortunately I have a copy of Safe Haven so looking foward to reading it.

message 24: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (knitpurlmama) | 7 comments Thanks for the information Catherine. Looking forward!

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Deborah wrote: "is there a listing of all the books coming up- would be nice not to have to get one last minute"

Deborah, we're reading the books that is the top of the list each week so the earliest we can know is Friday night when they put the list up.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (writingbookscoffee) I love this idea Catherine! I can't wait to join in. I also just read Forgotten and loved it :)

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Ashley wrote: "I love this idea Catherine! I can't wait to join in. I also just read Forgotten and loved it :)"

Thanks, Ashley! Hope you enjoy the group.

message 28: by Jacquelyn (new)

Jacquelyn (jsglow) I agree, this is a great idea! I am an avid reader but rarely read "popular" fiction. I am looking forward to reading & discussing the NYT best sellers w/ a group of like minded folks. Also, I will be trying to do this on a budget by utilizing my local library; I am loathe to purchase 52 more books (some of which I may not even enjoy) since my bookcases are already overflowing.

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Jacquelyn wrote: "I agree, this is a great idea! I am an avid reader but rarely read "popular" fiction. I am looking forward to reading & discussing the NYT best sellers w/ a group of like minded folks. Also, I will..."

Supporting local libraries is great :)

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate Hannon (katehannon) Great idea. I mostly read non-fiction that rarely makes the bestseller lists. Creative way to expand the brain in 2013. Thanks for sharing the idea in a group, Catherine.

message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan (janarzooman) | 31 comments @Deborah i am just going to pop in and comment when I'm done the books; I don't think I'll be done every book before the end of the week--I'm only 3/4ths thru "Gone Girl," but it's hard to put down so I could be done tonight.

I could order every one of the books for my Kindle or Nook the minute it was announced on Saturday, but the popular books are pretty expensive even in ebook format. Also, alas, all the libraries in Queens are now closed on weekends, so that's not an option. I work in Manhattan so I plan to check the books out of the library there on Monday morning.

I'm thinking the Nicholas Sparks book will be a quick read...

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Jan wrote: "@Deborah i am just going to pop in and comment when I'm done the books; I don't think I'll be done every book before the end of the week--I'm only 3/4ths thru "Gone Girl," but it's hard to put dow..."

Both the Nick Sparks book and Hopeless are pretty cheap in e-book format right now.

message 33: by Jan (new)

Jan (janarzooman) | 31 comments Catherine wrote: "Jan wrote: "@Deborah i am just going to pop in and comment when I'm done the books; I don't think I'll be done every book before the end of the week--I'm only 3/4ths thru "Gone Girl," but it's har..."
Oh? Well, I'll take a look... I may very well start Hopeless before the Nick Sparks.

message 34: by Missy (new)

Missy (missy27) | 14 comments This group is the best thing I've done this year. I'm so excited to be reading at this pace and reading books that I wouldn't normally have gotten to until years from now!

message 35: by Catherine (new)

Missy wrote: "This group is the best thing I've done this year. I'm so excited to be reading at this pace and reading books that I wouldn't normally have gotten to until years from now!"

That's great, Missy.

message 36: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Whalen | 1 comments This is such a great idea! I just discovered this group and goodreads today so I'm a little behind but I hope to catch up soon :) What a great way to get book ideas and see what others have to say!

message 37: by Catherine (new)

Caroline wrote: "This is such a great idea! I just discovered this group and goodreads today so I'm a little behind but I hope to catch up soon :) What a great way to get book ideas and see what others have to say!"

Thanks Caroline! Welcome.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Seems like I am always late for everything. I came across this group when I was looking for comments about The Comfort of Lies. I love popular fiction in general and these choices are great. I cannot promise to keep up with all the reading but I will follow along. Thank you for doing this.

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Lisa wrote: "Seems like I am always late for everything. I came across this group when I was looking for comments about The Comfort of Lies. I love popular fiction in general and these choices are great. I cann..."

Thanks for joining, Lisa!

message 40: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 12 comments Is there a list anywhere of all of the books read so far this year?

message 41: by Catherine (new)

Marilyn wrote: "Is there a list anywhere of all of the books read so far this year?"

Yes, if you look on the bookshelf at the bottom of the home page, those are all the books.

message 42: by Kimberlee (new)

Kimberlee (kimmykat) | 5 comments Hi, I am just now joining this group (always a day late and a dollar short) haha! This group sounds perfect for me and I am so thankful that I stumbled upon it by accident. I look forward to all the books we will be reading and hope to maybe make a few friends along the way...

message 43: by Catherine (new)

Kimberlee wrote: "Hi, I am just now joining this group (always a day late and a dollar short) haha! This group sounds perfect for me and I am so thankful that I stumbled upon it by accident. I look forward to all th..."

Welcome Kimberlee; it's never too late to join in.