SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

The Princess Bride
This topic is about The Princess Bride
January Discussions > The Princess Bride - January 2013

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this for the first time last summer - although I've seen the movie a quinjillion times. I have to say I was surprised how similar the book and the movie are in both story and dialogue once you move past the framing story.

I like Goldman's fictitious story as the frame more than the movie's scenes with Colombo and Wonder Years. I see why they changed it for the movie - but the entire literary angle in the book makes me smile.

Lynne King Geoffrey, You've phrased this far better than I ever could but I agree with you!

Lindsey_in_the_Library ~Librarian in Training~ (lindseyinthelibrary) I need to get this from the Library, but they don't have it in Ebook form!

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 4 comments One of the only books that actually made me laugh out load over and over.

Donna (donnahr) I just finished the book. I read it years ago but have seen the movie many times. It's got to be one of the best movie adaptations ever. The movie was so in my head as I was reading that it was like listening to a full cast audiobook. It was fun to read the book--I enjoyed Goldman's interruptions and his story within a story.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Some of his interruptions were just as funny as the story itself.

Aaron Yeager | 4 comments The best part by far is the part of the book where he explains why his editor made him remove a certain section of the 'original' book, but if you write into a given address he promises to send you a copy.
My buddy actually sent a SASE to the address and got a response, which is an even longer apology and explanation as to why the section of the 'original' book cannot be given to you.

I freakin' LOVE that. It is the most awesomely meta joke I have ever seen.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't know that part ... that's pretty freakin' funny.

Josefiene Pertosa (merelleya) I actually read a part of the book to my pronunciation teacher for my exam last summer and it sure was the first time an exam had to be interrupted due to uncontrolled outbursts of laughter and giggles on part of everybody present

Lindsey_in_the_Library ~Librarian in Training~ (lindseyinthelibrary) Aaron wrote: "The best part by far is the part of the book where he explains why his editor made him remove a certain section of the 'original' book, but if you write into a given address he promises to send you..."

That's amazing. I was planning on sending a letter to that address too!

Jason Martinez (JayGMartinez) | 2 comments I need to reread the book. I watch the film like twice a year, but I have not looked at the book in 3 years. I have to go read it again. Thanks for the reminder!

message 12: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz | 19 comments My 30th anniversary ebook version includes the letter. you can also find it on-line. I think maybe the 25th anniversary edition had a URL to go to, which I no longer have. :(

Justin After doing some quick online research, it looks like the URL is still active where they will email you the omitted scene upon request!

http://www.harcourtbooks.com/princess...

Richard (rpbaptist) I've never actually seen the movie and I read this book for the first time only recently. All the while I thought the book Goldman is referring to was real until I finished this book and searched online.

This is a brilliant ploy. I also found the introduction hilarious.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wiggins | 37 comments My husband had never seen the movie, and thought it was just a cheesy love story. But after months of trying, I finally got him to watch it, and he quickly realized that Princess Bride is awesome. I have the hard copy somewhere, and I think I should read it aloud to hubs and son.

I also fell for the "original book" story, and I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love that it really is a touching love story, but awesomely hilarious action adventure, too.

Also, I love the back story for the co-stars. Especially Inigo. After hearing the details of his father's death, you can't help but feel yourself really screaming at the six fingered man to prepare to die!

message 16: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Madden Yay, just finished. Had a little trouble getting past the beginning (maybe because I was holding out for the action, maybe because the tone seemed a touch bitter), but once I got through that I zipped along quite happily.

Loved the little asides, explanations, and comments from the author throughout, love Inigo and Fezzik more than ever now, and I think I prefer Westly in the book. He seemed a little too perfect in the movie - I loved in the book that he was getting frustrated at the drop of a hat. Buttercup I've still got mixed feelings for. She was never my favourite in the movie, and after the book she'll still never be my favourite ... but I think she grew on me, just a little. She's ignorant and demanding, but her simplicity and faith are attractive, I think.

Shall definitely have to re-read in the future, and it'll be a bedtime story when it comes time for me to read them.

Donna (donnahr) Beth wrote: "Buttercup I've still got mixed feelings for..."

Even though she's the title character, I always thought Buttercup the least interesting.

Lynne King I agree with you Donna.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wiggins | 37 comments Definitely agree about Buttercup. The feminist in me is a little bitter with her for being so ridiculous. But... she is Westly's love. And she does remain loyal to him and her faith in him. I totally think I'd be better for him, though, lol!

Joseph Finley (josephfinley) | 6 comments Okay, so I was a tad late in finishing The Princess Bride for a January read. It was the first time I had re-read the book in about 16 years, but I've seen the movie about 10 or 12 times since it came out in '87, and I found myself constantly comparing the book to the film. I prefer the movie version (it cut out the parts of the novel that slowed the story down), but it is amazing how many of the lines from the movie came verbatim out of the book.

This one may be my favorite: “Fool!” cried the hunchback. “You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is ‘Never get involved in a land war in Asia,’ but only slightly less well known is this: ‘Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.’"

I posted a review of the book on Goodreads and on my blog http://fresh-scrapedvellum.blogspot.com/

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 11 comments It's really weird. I have the book on Kindle from when it was briefly available and it suddenly acquired a cover it never had. Now I look at it on amazon.co.uk and it says that it will be available on Kindle from May 2nd. Now everyone can get it.

message 22: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 8 comments Absolutely love this book, and can't wait until my daughter is old enough for me to read it to her. I wasn't too enamoured with the synopses of Buttercup's Baby though, it didn't seem to have the same wit and lightness of touch as the main book. I guess it's a work in progress, so shouldn't be too judgmental.

Divine | 1 comments A very enjoyable read indeed!

Duels! Torture! Love! Revenge! Redemption! Hunters! Hunted! Good men! Bad men! A cheeky damsel! An impossibly-capable-of-everything hero! Beasts! Deception! Death! Miracles! Meta references!

Writing was witty and light. Made me laugh out loud lots of times. A perfect satire!

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 21 comments I read this last year and this is one of those rare books where I will stick with the movie. The movie took all that was good in this book and made it even funnier.

message 25: by Damethu (new)

Damethu | 1 comments I falled for the "other book" but I read it so long ago, I couldn't cross check at the time, I always douted...

I think a part of the story is a caricature of fairy tael, making Buttercup extremely too... something-ish, but I always felt it as a caricature of princesses... So obviously she would be flat... Looking at it that way, it doesn't botter me too much that she is feeble or weak. BUt I agree without the caricature, her character is not that important.

I watch the movie 3-5 times a year for so many years! My favorite action is certainly Westly and Ignigo figth at the top of the cliff (I hate waiting! Sorry! It is no as easy as it looks! I can throw you a rope!) :-D

So good...
I think I will buy the book for my nieces and nephews...