52 weeks, 52 books discussion

Gone Girl
This topic is about Gone Girl
Week 1: Gone Girl

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
Gone Girl is back at number 1 on the NYT bestseller list and what a great book to start with. I'll post my review in a week, but if you've already read it, let me know what you thought!

Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws (b00kr3vi3ws) Catherine wrote: "Gone Girl is back at number 1 on the NYT bestseller list and what a great book to start with. I'll post my review in a week, but if you've already read it, let me know what you thought!"

Its an Amazing book!!!!

Kelly Hager (khager) | 1 comments LOVED it. :) it was one of my favorites last year.

Lisa Brackmann | 21 comments Me too. Great book!

Heather Kerner (heathersbookcorner) Fantastic book! Can't say I'll be able to keep up, but it will be fun to try! Thanks for the invite!!

Gwen - Chew & Digest Books - (cybergwen) I read it last year and loved the whole toxic-ness of Nick and Amy, both as a couple and individually.

What has scared me a tad about discussions with others re: this book is that many didn't like either character and I was in awe of her and could relate a bit to him.

(saying more would lead to spoilers)

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica (bibliophilicboo) I'm in. I am doing something similar. Reading one classic from the 1001 book list and one book from my own shelf minimum per week. I'll add a best seller. Three books minimum a week for 52 to weeks.

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahpinneo) I may be the only human on earth who couldn't get into this one. :) It was exactly that toxic-ness that put me off. I just didn't want to spend time with these characters.

Yes, I know. The plot has jaws on the floor worldwide, and I'm still very excited for any author like Flynn who can turn so many heads just with pure, crazy, outsized imagination.

I just wasn't in the mood, I suppose.

Marianne Jay (lovinglife1957) Thanks for the invite to the group....I'm excited. I have Gone Girl on my kindle and am going to start it now. Most of my friends have read it already. I'm also in the book challenge and I've challenged myself to 110 books for 2013. Yes I'm a book-a-holic.

Thien-Kim (thienkim) Gone Girl is one of my favorite books of 2012. In fact I recommended it to almost everyone who asked for a book recommendation! I read an advanced copy of it and it hurt not to have someone to talk to about it. Eventually I caved and told my husband all about the book just so I could talk about it. (He's not a reader but that's a whole other story).

We even read it for my book club: http://www.fromlefttowrite.com/book-c...

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven Gilbert (stevenleegilbert) Like Sarah (above) I just couldn't get into this story, but I love the idea of tying my current 2013 reading goal of One Shakespeare A Month with a Bestseller A Week. Alone, either alone might drive me a bit crazy, but combined they should balance one another.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Steinke (httpwwwlizandlisacom) | 4 comments LOVED this book. Could not put it down. One of my faves of 2012.

Kathleen Crowell I'm giving this book a 5 because it's the best written book I've read all year! That doesn't mean I enjoyed the read or liked the characters, but I think that was the whole point! GF wrote the "best" unlikeable characters and story I've ever read! This is not a feel good book, which I am very disposed to read. I like happy endings and romance. I started off figuring there would be a good guy and a bad guy in this story. I alternately liked Nick better than Amy and vice versa. There were times when I rooted for each of them. How was Flynn able to make me feel sorry for Amy when she was robbed?!!! And feel sorry for Nick when he is set up?! Boney was the only character I really could say had any integrity and I think I feel the worst for her because she couldn't technically resolve the case. This is an awesome book for discussion! I have to say, it's the first book in a really long time that I had to pace myself to read/finish because it was so disturbing, but I just had to find out what happened at the end! (less)

message 14: by Shari (new)

Shari I read it last year. So many twists and turns. Thought I had it figured out and wham a new twist in the story line. Not so crazy in how the book ended though.

Gwen - Chew & Digest Books - (cybergwen) Shari wrote: "I read it last year. So many twists and turns. Thought I had it figured out and wham a new twist in the story line. Not so crazy in how the book ended though."

I completely forgot about the crappy ending! Yes, after all of that I felt robbed, but the majority of it was so diabolical that I got over it in time.

What really freaked me out about Amy was that I could totally see my spouse's X pulling an evil stunt like Amy did. Two things made me grateful after I read it. 1. That is didn't come out any earlier for that X to get any ideas and 2. That X was way too selfish and less long-viewed than Amy was to pull off something that took that much planning.

Susan Kathleen wrote: "I'm giving this book a 5 because it's the best written book I've read all year! That doesn't mean I enjoyed the read or liked the characters, but I think that was the whole point! GF wrote the "bes..."

I agree with just about all your comments, Kathleen, especially about alternating between liking one character and then the other. And yes, I found it disturbing but yes, I had to finish it because I needed to know how it ended!

Rebecca (purplerrr) | 76 comments I finished this book in two days but ended up hating both characters so much. Guess that says a lot about the quality of the writing that I kept reading even when I saw how sick both of them were.

Angelica (gelly) | 3 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'm giving this book a 5 because it's the best written book I've read all year! That doesn't mean I enjoyed the read or liked the characters, but I think that was the whole point! GF wrote the "bes..."

I agree, best unlikable characters and story I probably ever read. I definitely questioned myself, thinking am I really feeling bad for her/him??!

Vivian (bookdivasreads) I honestly didn't like the book when I read the first time around. I think that my prejudices against the characters clouded my ability to appreciate the story. I re-read it recently as a local book group choice and thoroughly enjoyed it the second time around.

Berfu | 19 comments Wow! What a messed up book this was. I agree with many in the group that if it wasn't for the crazy twists and turns in this book I would have not been able to get through such negativity. The characters were disgusting and the ending ridiculous. If it wasn't for the writing and surprises in this book it would be getting a one but for the sheer fact that she kept me reading all the way through the insanity, I give it a 3.

Deborah Sarah wrote: "I may be the only human on earth who couldn't get into this one. :) It was exactly that toxic-ness that put me off. I just didn't want to spend time with these characters.

Yes, I know. The plot ..."

I would have to totally agree with your summary.

Ashley (needallthebooksandcoffee) This was definitely one of my favorite books of 2012! I am just so jealous of her writing and the ability to come up with the twists. Apparently Reese Witherspoon is going to direct and star in the movie... thoughts?

Ashley wrote: "This was definitely one of my favorite books of 2012! I am just so jealous of her writing and the ability to come up with the twists. Apparently Reese Witherspoon is going to direct and star in the..."

Her company did acquire the rights; I think she could be good in the role.

Suzanne | 12 comments I'm almost done with Gone Girl, and I'm totally mesmerized by the twists and turns that the story is taking! Can't wait to finish it!

message 25: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Brackmann | 21 comments I worked for many years at a film studio, and boy, does this book present huge challenges for adapting to a screenplay. It hinges on unreliable narrators and their differing versions of events -- not an easy thing to get across as a film.

message 26: by Kathleen (last edited Jan 09, 2013 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathleen Crowell Susan wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "I'm giving this book a 5 because it's the best written book I've read all year! That doesn't mean I enjoyed the read or liked the characters, but I think that was the whole point! ..."

Angelica wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "I'm giving this book a 5 because it's the best written book I've read all year! That doesn't mean I enjoyed the read or liked the characters, but I think that was the whole point! ..."

Michael wrote: "Quite honestly, I hated the first 50 or so pages. I thought Amy's life was unrealistic. But my wife had read it all the way through, and said it gets better. So I read on, and it most certainly did..."

I agree with you all! I had trouble starting the book--but I think that is because I tend to gravitate towards likeable characters. I questioned why I felt bad for the characters at times. I felt that much of what they were thinking about each other was realistic--the disturbing, usually unspoken, inner thoughts of real people--most of us just don't cross the lines that they did!

Renata | 1 comments Catherine wrote: "Ashley wrote: "This was definitely one of my favorite books of 2012! I am just so jealous of her writing and the ability to come up with the twists. Apparently Reese Witherspoon is going to direct ..."

I think she could actually pull it off.

Celine (celinefrazier) What a BRILLIANT book! I absolutely love it, twist after twist, simply amazing!

message 29: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan (janarzooman) | 31 comments Small spoilers; I'm trying not to give too much away.

I finished the book last night, and loved it.

I can't believe I was actually identifying with both Amy and Nick at various points in the story. I actually found Amy's parents more despicable than her. The style of writing -- the way things were revealed -- was terrific. Both of the main characters were believable, sadly, although Nick more so. I don't think Amy would have stumbled in her plans if she were as calculating as she was made out to be, but that was probably my only complaint.

I like dark stories and dark endings; I had no problem with that -- and I was happy it wasn't predictable (it seemed pretty obvious this wasn't going to end well; the manner in which it ended surprised me). Very satisfying.

Christina (christinar2008) This was a totally twisted book and I loved every word of it. Very well written and suspenseful. I read it last year then recommended it to everyone I know.

message 31: by Jean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean Brazil (mwbrazil) | 4 comments Just finished and really loved the book, but hated the people. Very dark, but very good. I'll keep this author in my list!

Wendy Cosin Jan wrote: "Small spoilers; I'm trying not to give too much away.

I finished the book last night, and loved it.

I can't believe I was actually identifying with both Amy and Nick at various points in the s..."

My only picky comment is that I don't think Nick would have destroyed his book. Something still could have gone wrong with the pregnancy, and he could have gotten out. Although by that point, since she made him retract his statements about the woodshed, etc. maybe it didn't matter.

Teresa (neednewspace) | 9 comments Oh! I was so disappointed. After all I'd heard about this book, I really expected to love it. Nope. Absolutely hated it. And I really don't hate very many books.

Teresa wrote: "Oh! I was so disappointed. After all I'd heard about this book, I really expected to love it. Nope. Absolutely hated it. And I really don't hate very many books."

Interesting, Teresa. Why did you hate it?

Allie Smith | 5 comments Okay - just finished this book and I loved it. I was not thrilled (before hand) to read it - I don't like thrillers or anything "disturbing" - book is guilty on both counts, so I'm very surprised. It was on so many best book lists last year, I was intrigued. Another blogger I follow raved and then your grooup/endorsement nudged me. Thank you!

Tha being said - it was car-ray-zee - wow!

Allie wrote: "Okay - just finished this book and I loved it. I was not thrilled (before hand) to read it - I don't like thrillers or anything "disturbing" - book is guilty on both counts, so I'm very surprised...."

So glad you liked it Allie! Will you continue reading along?

Joan wrote: "I would have kept a copy of the book just in case."

totally.

Allie Smith | 5 comments Allie wrote: "Okay - just finished this book and I loved it. I was not thrilled (before hand) to read it - I don't like thrillers or anything "disturbing" - book is guilty on both counts, so I'm very surprised...."

Yes. Probably will skip Safe Haven:), though. I have a couple books to read for a blog I guest review for and I write book reviews for our local magazine, so I may be behind some weeks. Plus - I just ordered Forgotten and Arranged and I want to read those! (I really loved Spin.) Great reviews on Huffington Post

Teresa (neednewspace) | 9 comments Catherine wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Oh! I was so disappointed. After all I'd heard about this book, I really expected to love it. Nope. Absolutely hated it. And I really don't hate very many books."

Interesting, Teres..."

It takes a lot for me to say I hate a book. As a book nerd, I inherently Love all books but this book made me feel angry. It just didn't ring true. The entire book felt like one big cliche. I wasn't invested in the storyline, the characters, or the poor ending. This is not to say that Gillian Flynn's technical skill at writing was to blame. Therein lay what was my only hope; that a talented writer such as she would take the story to an amazing conclusion and, in the end, I would be pleasantly surprised and satisfied. This, unfortunately did not happen and I felt duped into reading to the last page only to find a mediocre finale. I really think that there was so much more that Ms. Flynn could have done with this premise and so many other places these characters could have gone. I may be one of the very few who did not enjoy this book and I actually feel bad for hating it as much as I did but it just didn't feel right.

Jaime Fiction Fangirls (jaimefictionfangirls) I just finished this book and I hated it!! I hated because it made me so angry and because I wanted to throw it across the room but mostly because I couldn't stop reading it at the same time. Not a book I would've chosen had it not been for this group but I'm really glad I read it. Thankful for this group to take me out of my comfort zone and to be nicely surprised when I do so.

Allie wrote: "Allie wrote: "Okay - just finished this book and I loved it. I was not thrilled (before hand) to read it - I don't like thrillers or anything "disturbing" - book is guilty on both counts, so I'm v..."

Thanks, Allie! Hope you enjoy them.

Jaime wrote: "I just finished this book and I hated it!! I hated because it made me so angry and because I wanted to throw it across the room but mostly because I couldn't stop reading it at the same time. Not a..."

Out of your comfort zone is good sometimes! Sorry you didn't enjoy it though.

Jaime Fiction Fangirls (jaimefictionfangirls) I didn't enjoy it but I did think it was a good book. I'm not even sure how that makes sense but... Anyways I will still suggest it to others because I think that any book that can cause such a strong reaction definitely deserves to be read.

message 44: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan (janarzooman) | 31 comments I like what those who didn't like the book had to say, interesting points.

I was going to ask this earlier but forgot (Spoiler alert):
Was I the only one holding my breath and hoping there was something about Amy's journal that would screw her over? Something that one of the "Blue Book" boys would know that proved the journal was new? I wonder if that was a deliberate red herring.

Jan wrote: "I like what those who didn't like the book had to say, interesting points.

I was going to ask this earlier but forgot (Spoiler alert):
Was I the only one holding my breath and hoping ..."

Jan, I think if you get picky that there are some mistakes that Amy made that could trip her up (the fact that they went to fertility clinic demonstrates that Nick wanted kids, not that he didn't as she writes, for instance), but more fun not to do that, personally.

Chris Evans (chrise_tx) | 14 comments It was a great format to have the story told from both points of view. The ending was a bit unnerving though. He was basically trapped with a lunatic.

message 47: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Brackmann | 21 comments SEMI-SPOILER.....

It's interesting, though, that ending, when you think of Nick's darker impulses and suppressed anger -- he gets to go ahead and hate her and feel justified in that. So in a sick way, he gets what he wants too.

message 48: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Good morning everyone! This was one of my favorite books from 2012. The Sandcastle Girls was my absolute, runaway favorite.

I thought that I had this book all figured out from the very beginning and I read it with an almost smugness, because I just 'knew' what was going to happen. Boy, was I taken down a couple of notches. I enjoyed the twists and turns and the ending both delighted and disgusted me.

Laura Elliott | 5 comments I was blown away by this book. It's raw. It's explosive and it goes to some dark interpersonal places that shed light on the crazy cocktail of doubt, fear and betrayal in a way that I have not read before. I have to say, though, that the character of Amy--even allowing that betrayal can lead many to the brink of psychosis, didn't ring true for me. Especially in the end. I enjoyed going on the ride. Getting ensnared in her bizarre, bitter, "everyone sucks but me" world view was cringe-worthy, but I didn't relish the book 2 part of this story like I did the first book.

Daphne (daphne2163) This book lived up to the hype. What a great psychological thriller. I couldn't put it down and knew for sure that one, if not both, of the protagonists would wind up dead at the conclusion of the book. What a surprise the final chapters were for me! It was much less predictable and satisfying that she ended the story the way she did. It was diabolical just like the rest of the story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

« previous 1