Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Group Monthly Discussions > 1st Optional Book Club Discussion: The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman and others - January 2013 (may contain spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sérgio (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:56AM) (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Hi everybody. This is the topic for our 1 st Optional Book Club Discussion for January 2013, IThe Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman and others.

The discussion will occur during this whole month of January.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our optional book club discussion everyone.

Ronyell will be leading this discussion.

message 2: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments I'll lead! :D

SPOILERS!!!

I really enjoyed this volume as it was the perfect follow up from the first volume Preludes and Nocturnes. Probably the scene that surprised me the most in this volume was when there was a convention for serial killers! This surprised me because I was thinking to myself about how there could be a convention for serial killers and no one in the hotel ever noticed about it!

message 3: by Sérgio (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:03AM) (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments (view spoiler)

Congrats Ronyell! :P

Thanks for volunteering.

message 4: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Sérgio wrote: "[spoilers removed]

Congrats Ronyell! :P

Thanks for volunteering."

You're welcome! I'm so honored!!!

message 5: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 5 comments I am joining you all on this one, too. I've had this one on my shelf for a year and it's high time.
I loved the first volume and I fully expect this one to be at least as good.

message 6: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Gaijinmama wrote: "I am joining you all on this one, too. I've had this one on my shelf for a year and it's high time.
I loved the first volume and I fully expect this one to be at least as good."

It's really good! Maybe even better than the first volume!

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments It took Gaiman & team about to this volume to actually hit their stride. With this vol. we're moving into the series' great issues.

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments Your first? Ooh, what pleasures lie before you!

message 9: by Gaijinmama (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:46PM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 5 comments I read the first 20 pages (up to the storytelling scene in the African desert.) before bed last night and finally had to put it down when Morpheus came for me....
Wow. Gaiman has some mad storytelling skillz right there!! I
really loved his introduction/summary of the story thus far, too.

I'm going to try to finish it this weekend because once Monday comes I'll be swamped with work.

message 10: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Gaijinmama wrote: "I read the first 20 pages (up to the storytelling scene in the African desert.) before bed last night and finally had to put it down when Morpheus came for me....
Wow. Gaiman has some mad storytell..."

I agree that Neil Gaiman really knows how to tell a really good story!! I've been enjoying all of his Sandman books and this book was one of my favorites!

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian I agree with Brenda:
It took Gaiman & team about to this volume to actually hit their stride. With this vol. we're moving into the series' great issues.
It only gets better from Doll's House on.

message 12: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Brian wrote: "I agree with Brenda:
It took Gaiman & team about to this volume to actually hit their stride. With this vol. we're moving into the series' great issues.
It only gets better from Doll's House on."

I agree! A Game of You was probably the best volume I had read from the Sandman series!

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments I've been a Sandman addict since its very start as single issues, the entire run is still up on the shelves. Of course, not wanting to "damage" my singles, I just had to buy the Hardcover trades when those came out, and it was fun to read the stories as "chapters". The lo and behold, they published the Absolutes... so, of course, I had to buy those as well, right?
So yeah, my name is Paul and I'm a Sandman addict!
i dunno, maybe i need some sort of counseling or something, you think?
I can't really say how many times I've re-read the stories other than to say "lots". Everytime I've read them, I've found new ways to enjoy them.
So, until DC/Vertigo finds a way to liquify tem and feed tem to me intra-veinously, I'll be taking them off the shelf every now and again to re-read.

message 14: by Peter (last edited Jan 06, 2013 01:53PM) (new)

Peter | 150 comments Trey wrote: "If everyone is cool with it I'll take the time to go through each issue like I did with the first trade pointing out things that the Annotated editions bring to light."

That would be great. I really enjoyed those posts during the first trade discussion.

message 15: by Gaijinmama (last edited Jan 06, 2013 02:57PM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 5 comments Just finished part 5 last night.
***SPOILERS*****

The Collectors convention was just about the creepiest thing I've read, ever, and that includes The Walking Dead which I was just reading last week!

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments Yes, the Family Man came from the pages of Hellblazer... kinda like Constantine himself, came from the pages of Swamp Thing

message 17: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mendez (Yvonne_Mendez) Great analysis Trey, here are a few comments:

Page 44: For me the question about the "prodigal" and how Despair immediately thought of the missing Endless, meant that he's deep in her thoughts above anything else happening to her other siblings. Desire knows this and remembered it for a few seconds before continuing with his new plot.

Page 63: I liked how the Corinthian was introduced, to showcase his twisted self it was better not to see him at all. Looking through his point of view and reading the pleasure in his voices does more to convey the fear this character can bring.

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments As with the look of the Endless, the rooms and the emblems alter from time to time as well. It must be great fun for the artists, who are freed from the tiresome necessity of drawing things to look the same.

When I hear about 'something nasty' I think of COLD COMFORT FARM, where Aunt Ada Doom was oppressed by Something Nasty in the Woodshed.

message 19: by Margreet (new)

Margreet Heer | 34 comments Trey, great annotations!

I just reread the whole thing myself, and love how well done this story is. The Serial Convention is one of the scariest things I ever read, even slightly more horrific than Dee's Diner, I think.

I'm struck by the depiction of both Desire and Rose in some parts - they really look like Amanda Palmer, Gaiman's wife. Amanda was a young teenager when these issues were drawn. She really is a Dream come true.

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter | 150 comments A vaguely related point of interest:
The use of "Nimrod" as an insult goes back to old Bugs-Bunny cartoons, and people's misunderstanding because they didn't get the biblical reference.
In the Bible Nimrod was supposed to be a mighty hunter. Bugs Bunny sarcastically called inept hunter, Elmer Fudd, "Nimrod", but the reference went right over most people's heads, and it just became a generic word used as an insult.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter | 150 comments Well, I finished Volume 2 and then went and read through Volume 3, and now I've ordered Volume's 4 through 6 from Amazon.

After reading Volume 1 I was kind of lukewarm on Sandman, and was asking myself, "Why all the fuss over this?". I mean, I liked it but I wasn't totally blown away or anything.
But after reading Volume 2 and 3 I am starting to see the real creativity and diverse story-telling ability that Gaiman was showcasing here.

It looks like I'm in it until the end now.

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments You can see what I mean, when I say that the first volume doesn't really do the series justice. It hits its stride in #2 and then is excellent.

message 23: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (bookchick64) So I think I finally am getting intoo a groove with this series...I will move on to vol 3....These posts have lso given me a leg up, thanks!