The Bookends discussion

Previous Group Reads > December Read: The Casual Vacancy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Lindsay (ltg584) | 478 comments Mod
Since this is the only book I managed to finish in time, I'll start off a discussion. I will, again, offer a bookmark to a randomly chosen participant of the discussion.

1) Prejudice played a large role in the story. Do you feel that there were any characters who did not show prejudice? How did prejudice affect the outcome of the story?

2) The characters often lingered on the negative aspects of their lives. Do you think this is an accurate portrayal of the way we think?

3) Did forgiveness play an important role in the story?

message 2: by M.L. (new)

M.L. I'll take a try at the first question, who was not prejudiced?
Barry Fairbrother of course...and I think Sukhvinder and her father. Patricia, Howard's daughter, and maybe Gaea (?). Those are the ones I remember off the top. Barry's children (these last are minor characters).

message 3: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

If nobody else comments, you're an automatic bookmark winner!

message 4: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Well, I am officially closing this discussion. Kinda sad...
Except for the fact that FLASH BEAGLE just won a bookmark!
Congratulations! Please email me your address and your selection from the pictures, and I'll get in to you ASAP. :)

message 5: by M.L. (new)

M.L. There have to be other readers that read it! Oh, well :) They're all so cute! I'm trying to decide between the cat and owl...hmm...

message 6: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I can clear that one up. Sorry, should have mentioned the cat's not one of the prizes. Sorry! But you could have one similar. My son made that one, and I'm sure he would be happy to make another one for you. :)

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Dragonfly!

message 8: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

With blue, pink, white or yellow border?