Time Travel discussion

The Timekeeper's Son (The Timekeepers, #1)
This topic is about The Timekeeper's Son
Official Monthly Group Giveaways > January - "The Timekeeper's Son" by Mike E. Miller

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Jan 01, 2013 07:45AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Happy New Year to all of you time travel lovers out there. With the start of a new month comes our next monthly book giveaway, and our featured book this month is The Timekeeper's Son by time travel group member Mike E. Miller. Our question for this month's drawing is this:

"Issac Asimov is well known for developing the Three Laws of Robotics to govern the behavior of the increasingly autonomous robots of the future. If we were to apply this concept to time travel, what do you think should be the "Three Laws of Time Travel?"

Note: The author is offering the winner a choice between an ebook edition or signed paperback.

Anyone who posts an answer to the above question will be entered in our drawing. The winner will be selected at random and will be announced on January 8. So that means you have about a week to post your comments for a chance to win this book. Once the winner is announced, the author will contact that person to arrange for delivery of their free book.

I will invite Mike to post some additional info about his book. And please feel free to ask him any questions you might have. Also remember that the winner of this giveaway is encouraged to write an honest and thoughtful review of the book once they have a chance to read it. Good luck all, and "may the odds be ever in your favor."

message 2: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Trick question John, in that any such laws will always be riddled with paradox & so could, with just cause, be stated from either point of view.

Talk about an unending loop.

So, if you permit, I'll think 'outside the box' & answer with these three:

1) Must be plausible (as opposed to possible)

2) Must be engaging (as opposed to far-fetched or boring)

3) Must allow the reader to think 'outside the box' (as opposed to giving them a lecture or beating them over the head)

Happy New Year, by the by

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 424 comments Wow, I don't feel qualifed to answer that question!
but I really want to be entered in the draw, so i will take a stab at it.
1) You can't travel with items not yet invented or published into the past
2) You can't talk to an older or younger version of yourself.
3)You can't time travel if you are sick and could be carrying viruses

message 4: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Bravo Heather, your choices show some precient thought to the question asked, but I see these possible problems:

#1 would hold you back in many ways, but I see the proactive need in case something went wrong.

#2 may not be up to you or your best of intentions, given others may have a causal effect reguardless of what you do.

#3 is moot as you, relative to your own Timeframe, would carry anitbodies from then & these may infect despite your wishes, as in the case of Europeans & Native Americians.

But I agree with you & I want in on the draw.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (hatcherdee) | 28 comments This is a difficult question. I'm going to borrow from others to answer it.

1) Leave nothing but footprints.

2) Take nothing but mental images.

3. Do no harm.

message 6: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Jan 03, 2013 07:08AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I am excluding myself from the drawing, but I do want to answer this question. Based on my on philosophy of time travel, I propose the following three rules to govern time travel and avoid any possible paradoxes from occurring.:

1) A time traveller cannot save a person from serious injury or death, nor can the time traveller cause serious injury or death to an individual outside of the traveller's own timeline.

2) The time traveller cannot transport material items from one timeline to another for the purpose of financial gain, nor can the time traveller transport any historically significant item from its original timeline for any reason.

3) The time traveller cannot have sex with any person outside of the traveller's own timeline.

message 7: by Craig (new)

Craig Turner (craigwturner) | 6 comments I'm interested in the drawing... Hope to win! Also working on my own time travel trilogy right now, which has been a fantastic experience, as I'm being meticulous about the science of changing history.

Howard's point is a good one, above - time travel "rules" can govern either the time traveler or the storyteller.

Here are my rules governing the time traveler:

(1) If traveling forward or backward to a time in which a time traveler already exists, he cannot allow himself access to resources owned by his other self.

(2) The time traveler must not take technology into the past that would spur new scientific thought.

(3) A time traveler who has been to the future and returned successfully must not THEN pass information onto his time traveling self when he arrives at some point in the future.

Of course in my trilogy, my characters break all the rules. But that's time travel!

Interestingly, when designing my novels, I (extremely disappointingly) found a hole in the Back to the Future trilogy - http://www.craigwturner.com/?p=83. It was a sad day for me.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1 comments 1. Don't intentionally change the past.
2. Don't reveal the future to anyone.
3. Don't create a paradox.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 870 comments All the answers addressing the rules for the traveller are good ones, so I'll address the storyteller - like Howard did. However, I, speaking for myself, pretty much disagree with him. Sorry I can't make them truly universal.

1. Focus on the 'What If,' the characters, and the adventure, rather than on science or mechanics.

2. Be internally consistent about the mechanisms & consequences.

3. Develop your own story and characters rather than just tweaking real history.

It does look like a good book; I too want to win! ;)

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 870 comments Question for the author: Mike, I see this is listed as first in a series. Does it end on a cliffhanger, or could a reader stop after just one?

message 11: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Burl (burlgirl) | 11 comments Fun question. Here is my sad attempt at an answer, sad because I can see times when the rules would be broken, and my nature I'm a rule follower...
1. Don't time travel for the purpose of personal gain
2. Time travel must not be engaged in for personal revenge
3. Time travel should serve a higher good, even of knowledge is all that is acquired.

message 12: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Cheryl, I don't see how your choices disagree with mine, quite the contrary.

Am I missing something?

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 870 comments Jo, I like your take - a little different.

Howard, I did overstate the degree to which we disagree. Sorry. Mainly our #1 - I really don't care if the mechanism is plausible or possible. Otherwise a talented author could satisfy us both. :)

message 14: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Cheryl thanks, I understand your point now.

Fanciful takes on TT are good, too, no problem there, I was just honing the genre within a tighter definition.

message 15: by Shelly (new) - added it

Shelly (GODDESSPANDORA) | 6 comments I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK IT SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments 1. Time travel only as an observer.
2. Don't try to change anything.
3. Learn from the what you see so that you can be a better person in your own time.

message 17: by Ha (new)

Ha (hanadii) | 2 comments 1. A time traveler must not kill or attempt to kill anyone living in the past.
2. A time traveler is not permitted to share information about anything whatsoever occurring after the period he/she has traveled to.
3. A time traveler must not interact with the human beings of the past in any way that would change their interactions with other human beings and, as a result, alter the future (relationships, etc.)

message 18: by Tej (new) - added it

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Wow, you've outdone yourself there JOhn, that's the most awesome question so far!

I was going to follow the structure of Asimov's 3 robotic laws but Piero beat to it! (Good one Piero!)

I like everyone's entries so, far. Very robust :) AK's one as witty and carefree as usual, think that's my favourite.

Well I cant better anyone else's so I shall plagiarise the greatest time traveller of all time with these definitive laws:

1. Dont talk to anyone
2. Dont touch anything
3. And dont look at anything

;)

message 19: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Tej, so listening & sniffing are OK, yes?

message 20: by Tej (new) - added it

Howard wrote: "Tej, so listening & sniffing are OK, yes?"

There were more rules but I was limited to 3! Have you guessed where I plagiarised them from? ;) Think John and a few other would guess but not sure if you are a fan of that particular source...

message 21: by Andres (new)

Andres Hernandez | 1 comments In the spirit of time travel movies

1. Two objects that are the same can not occupy the same space (Time Cop)

2. Never take Gray's Sports Almanac with you back to the present (Back to the Future)

3. Never, ever step on a butterfly (A Sound of Thunder)

message 22: by Tej (last edited Jan 04, 2013 04:39PM) (new) - added it

Andres wrote: "In the spirit of time travel movies

2. Never take Gray's Sports Almanac with you back to the present (Back to the Future..."

BTTF2 ;)

message 23: by Niki (new)

Niki Alling (niki44) | 19 comments These are some great rules! When I wrote my time travel story I purposely broke a few common rules. Like don't change the past, or talk to your younger self. My story was based on breaking those rules. ;)

message 24: by Ray (new) - added it

Ray Randall Great Questions, makes my head hurt to think about it !
here are my 3:
1. Things that travel together, age together.
2. There are no true paradoxes.
3. If something happened, it happened.

Good Luck everyone and happy reading :)

message 25: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Piero, nice list. Hope I get a shout out in your short story for helping inspire you. Not really. I hope you can use it as you obviously put a lot of thought into it. And you get the award for most closely following Asimov's example.

Tej gets the award for brevity. It seems like I should know the source of that list, but I can't seem to place it.

Andres, I like how you quoted your sources on why you chose your three rules. For my rule three about not having sex, I chose that because a couple of our book club selections a while back dealt with the main character having sex either with himself or with a distant relative, which didn't really appeal to me.

message 26: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 88 comments This is a hard one but these are my three laws of time travel.

1. No interfering with the past.
2. No taking the secrets of future technology back.
3. A time traveller must always return to their own time. (No living in the past or the future.)

message 27: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 88 comments I answered the question before I read some of the other posts, now I see many of us have similar laws. :-)

message 28: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Thanks John :)

Btw, these surveys / competitions are really interesting, and useful also as brainstorming for new ideas! :)

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Frances wrote: "I answered the question before I read some of the other posts, now I see many of us have similar laws. :-)"

very interesting your law No. 3 ;)

message 30: by Rysa (new)

Rysa Walker (rysawalker) | 86 comments Rule #1: Take only memories; leave only footprints. ~ Chief Seattle
Rule #2: No hanky-panky with Great-Grandma, unless it means you won't exist. ~ Deep Space Nine and many others.
Rule #3: And above all else, do not squish the walking fish. ~ Homer Simpson

message 31: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Only one more day to enter the drawing for this month's book giveaway. You must post an answer to the question in order to be entered in the drawing. Simply posting a comment does not count.

Question: "Issac Asimov is well known for developing the Three Laws of Robotics to govern the behavior of the increasingly autonomous robots of the future. If we were to apply this concept to time travel, what do you think should be the "Three Laws of Time Travel?"

message 32: by Niki (new)

Niki Alling (niki44) | 19 comments These are the rules I used in my time travel book:

#1 a person must know where to find their younger-self, or their 'match point' in order for the time travel to work.
#2 a person must not use time travel as a get rich quick scheme - only make changes for gradual financial improvements.
#3 the first 30 minutes are free, after that the charges increase with each jump.

There are more rules but those were the basics. ;)

message 33: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie | 84 comments No seeing yourself
No interference
No interaction with anyone

message 34: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Debbie, that's pretty restrictive.

But hey, looking at your picture, I'm not arguing with you.

Is that a tiger on your arm?

message 35: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Once again, I am a day late and a dollar short. But as they say, better late than never. So let's pick a winner for this month's giveaway.

And the winner is.....

message 36: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Jan 09, 2013 08:17AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Ray!!! Congratulations. I will notify the author and ask him to contact you to arrange to deliver your free book. You can also feel free to send him a message to let him know if you would prefer an ebook edition or a signed paperback. And please take a moment to write a review of this book once you have a chance to read it.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this month's giveaway. Watch for our next giveaway, which will be announced on Feb. 1. The featured book for February will be An Amazing Adventure Through Time by Glauco Adams.

message 37: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Ray, congratulations & I hope this helps your headache.

Be sure to give us a review.

message 38: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments congrats :)

although they do not look to me as three laws :)

message 39: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Piero wrote: "congrats :)

although they do not look to me as three laws :)"

That is actually my fault, Piero. Some people read the question to mean three laws "of" time travel (meaning rules authors should abide by when writing about time travel) while others went with the three laws "for" time travel (meaning rules that would govern the time traveler). As I did not specify one over the other, either answer was acceptable.

message 40: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterlean) | 236 comments Yes, I was not complaining :)

Btw, just bought The Timekeeper's Son on Amazon kindle store! :) I got to curious about it, after all. I am enjoying now the first chapter...

message 41: by Mike (new)

Mike Miller (mikeemiller) | 12 comments Thanks everyone for entering! All of the rules were interesting to read.

I might as well throw in my rules while I'm here. :-)

1. A person only exists at a single point in time.
2. The past may not be the past anymore. See #1.
3. We are the result of our choices. Going back and making a different choice can affect more than you know.

There are a whole lot more rules, but I can't really share them without giving too much of the story away. :-(

Congratulations, Ray. I hope you enjoy it (and Piero, too)!