Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Goals and determination

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments So how did you do this year?

I had set a goal of 50,400 pages (144 books of 350 pages) and came in at 50,405 pages, which was actually 141 books.
47 new books (but includes $3 bargain rack stuff)
48 loaned to me by nice people (and Sherry)
15 from the library
31 from the UBS and library/yard sales

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Barry wrote: "So how did you do this year?

I had set a goal of 50,400 pages (144 books of 350 pages) and came in at 50,405 pages, which was actually 141 books.
47 new books (but includes $3 bargain rack stuff)
..."

glad i fit in with the nice people category although i did expect to have my own category.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Sherry wrote: "Barry wrote: "glad i fit in with the nice people category although i did expect to have my own category.
..."

Hmm. I read that line a little differently, but that's all I'm going to sat on the subject...

message 4: by Ann (last edited Jan 01, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Barry: Neat that you came in right at your page goal. And I know you just read what you wanted to and didn't consider the stats, so even nicer.
My 2012 Stats -
I read 75 books
33 were audio (audio overlaps with the Kindle count)
24 were Kindle books
23 were from the library (overlaps with both above)

For my page stats, Goodreads tells me my page count was 14,108 but I know from past experience that reading and reviewing editions that are audio books or Kindle titles will interfere with the GR page count accuracy. I would have had to review only print paper versions to get a real count. I love the percent done accuracy of keeping up with audio books so won't switch editions. I also listened and read both Kindle and audio versions of the same book several times. Amazon and audible.com are right that the combination enhances the reading experience. I used the library to do that most of the time for the second type of book rather than through Amazon or audible.com

GR Stats (on your My Books page at the bottom left) Oddly my own GR 'read_in_2012' shelf said 75, and the GR home page told me I read 75 but the stats say I read 74. Not going to argue that.

Audio Books - I know for sure I read 33 audio books vs. 21 in 2011; a telling tale of my longer commute and further distance from relatives that upped my driving time in 2012. That is up to 45% of the mix as audio vs. 33% of the 63 books I read last year. I love audio books so that is just fine with me. The last time I read this many audio books I was driving 300 miles one way to our corporate HQ every 9 weeks or so.

Kindle shorts contributed to the book count as well without padding the page count. I don't mind counting them as books, but their length is really barely a short story most of the time. Few would qualify as novellas.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments ...Hmm. I read that line a little differently, but that's all I'm going to sat on the subject...

And I am not saying anything on the subject.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments I ended up reading or listening to 120 books this year. I read 66 (with 12 being e-books)which was down 20 books from 2011 and listened to 54 audios (up from 44 audios in 2011). Total page average for the books was 302.5 (for the e-books I would use an approximate page count from another edition) and average for the audios was 9.59 hrs.

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments It would be interesting to set a goal for audio books by minutes listened. We would have to subtract those minutes in which you were not really paying attention.

message 8: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I read 104, a personal record for me. All but 2 were e-books. Can't do audiobooks, I don't pay attention :) Should have kept a record as to how many were M/T and how many were chick lit or romances. May I will try that this year

message 9: by Melodie (last edited Jan 01, 2013 03:12PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I read 165 books in 2012, 30 books down from my best of 195 in 2011. 17 of them were read on my Kindle Fire, which is a lot more than I thought. I still don't care for reading books on it very much, but do love it for reading magazines. Total of 52,390 pages, average of 317.5 pages per book!

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments My average pages per book was near 360. Lots of long books late in the year.

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments according to my paper book journal, i read 77 books this year, but according to good reads i read 74- will have to go through the paper journal to see which ones i forgot to put on good reads. 31 were kindle reads and 43 "real" books.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Barry: Funny guy! I wouldn't need to subtract any minutes, I am an avid audio listener.
I guesstimate 396 hours for me, 16.5 days of my year listening to an audio book!
Barry wrote: "It would be interesting to set a goal for audio books by minutes listened. We would have to subtract those minutes in which you were not really paying attention."

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments I read 134 books (but that included a couple e-book short-stories). 54 were Kindle books. 33 were library books. 41 were my own books. 6 books were audios. Approximately 36,212 pages :)

Now we can start all over again!

message 14: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Barry wrote: "So how did you do this year?

I read 50 books this year, many were BFBs. No audios.

message 15: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I haven't caught up on the grs bookcase for books finished last year but maybe if I remember I'll do it tomorrow. I only have to do nov and dec so not too bad. but my paper book journal is caught up and I finished 143 books. ugh. so close to my goal of 150. but if I went back and pulled all the ones on the short pages each more I know I would pass my goal up. this year I'm dealing with the which ones count and which ones not differently.

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments finally updated the 2012 GRs bookshelves finished bookshelves. now from being 10 short I'm now 1 over. some how I forgot to put in a whole months books. and now after locating them GRS has me plus 1. if anything it makes me closer to 150. one spot has me at 147 books. if you go to the stats which I never did before and didn't know what to locate it but finally I found it. it has me at 150 books which if you look on my shelf for 2012 it has me at 147 books. so who knows where they came up with the other books. I final tally in my written one was 146 books. I'm thinking at some point I might have listed one of those short ones maybe because I had to do a review for some author. As for pages which who knows if it's close sometimes you can't find the correct edition or if I'm rushed to list the books in I'll just click any. but 2012 it has me at 41959 pages and in 2011 it was 41308. that is not counting any of the shorts. I'm thinking I might count the shorts this year on a separate shelf and maybe just don't count them in the current years total so the total doesn't get mixed up yet it would go in the main read.
today I was working on that all day (except for the hour and 20 minute walk outside I took) finished the rewritting of the other books on the nook tablet and now even started yet another shelf on GRS. I got rid of a few so it's less then I keep coming up with new ones I want to do.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Good job, DJ!
I am considering using the hardcover editions for all my 2013 books on the read shelf here so the page count will be valid... I am curious about what 2012 would be if my 33 audio books were included at full page counts.

message 18: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Ann wrote: "Good job, DJ!
I am considering using the hardcover editions for all my 2013 books on the read shelf here so the page count will be valid... I am curious about what 2012 would be if my 33 audio boo..."

I've wondered the same thing about the audio books Ann! But I've decided not to take the page counts too seriously anymore. Whenever I read an ebook I use the page count from an actual book and I think that's about as far as I will go :)