Global Book Selections discussion

2013 DISCUSSIONS > JANUARY 2013 Selection: PURPLE HIBISCUS (Africa)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena HAPPY NEW YEAR! to everyone in the group. I hope you are all ready to embark on another year of adventurous reading around the globe.

As a reminder to everyone. We will be cycling through the continents every month reading one book from one continent each month. If there is a tie in the polls, I'll accept reading the top 2 books, either/or or both, as you like. I'll post discussions for both. This is so that all of us have the opportunities to read the books we vote for, in the majority ;).

Unlike this month, I will be posting a folder for us to make suggestions for next month's polls ahead of time. The polls will be set up for voting a week and a half before the next month begins so that we have time to gather our next book by the time the next month comes around.

Now let's begin January 2013 by choosing what books we would like to see on the poll. We are starting with all continents: AFRICA, ASIA, SOUTH or NORTH AMERICA, EUROPE, AUSTRALIA/OCEANIA. I have decided to go ahead and start the poll, this month only, on all our behalf. In the upcoming months we'll choose the books that go on the polls together... The folder for February 2012 suggestions will be up once I know the remaining continents after the poll ends.

PLEASE VOTE!!!! :)

Here is are the selections... Please your VOTE IN THE POLL.

AUSTRALIA: The Light Between Oceans

EUROPE: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

ASIA: The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami

AFRICA: Purple Hibiscus

SOUTH AMERICA: The Brief Wondrous LIfe of Oscar Wao

NORTH AMERICA: In the Skin of a Lion

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena PURPLE HIBISCUS has won for the month of January! I'm really excited to read this book. I know we talked about choosing it several times and I'm super excited we're getting to read it now. I'm going to get it immediately from my bookstore today....

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena Also as a reminder, this discussion is for us to talk about PURPLE HIBISCUS.... but if there is a particular topic or theme in PURPLE HIBISCUS you would like to discuss I will open it especially for that under the folder for Discussing African Literature... Let me know when you all get your books and when you start reading it.