Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

The Devil's Staircase
This topic is about The Devil's Staircase
Book Club Selection > January 2013 Group Read - The Devil's Staircase

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 3992 comments Mod
The winner of the vote for the January 2013 Group Read.

Bronny, a young Australian, finds herself down and out in London. She's a sweet girl who has spent her teenage years in a fearful, cautious bubble. She's never taken drugs, had sex or killed anyone. Within six weeks she's done all three. A group of backpackers break into an abandoned London townhouse seeking a rent-free life of debauchery. They don't realise someone's already there: a terrified woman bound and gagged in the basement. The Devil's Staircase combines a chick-lit voice and a dark crime noir environment. Not for the faint-hearted, The Devil's Staircase is funny, sexy and disturbing - it will keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

Book Links:-
Currently only £1.59 on Amazon UK Kindle Books
$2.57 on Amazon US Kindle Books

This could be amazing value at the moment. It was £4.97 and $6.75 when we all voted for it as a January Group Read.
It has now dropped in price to £1.59 and $2.57 at the moment. I am not sure how long for so download it while it is this price but be quick as we all know prices can change quickly on Amazon.

I have just downloaded it myself ready to read.

Bill Kupersmith | 564 comments Mod
I finished it and quite enjoyed it. The book is very unusual and practically nothing that happened was what I expected. I'll say more at the end of the month.

Right I am just starting the book now.

Ok I have now finished this book. Unusual way to do the book (will say more at end of month discussions). That said it was good and I enjoyed it.

message 6: by David (last edited Feb 01, 2013 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Please feel free to start the discussion with any comments or views on the book. I will do some questions on it over the weekend.

I will start though by asking when you started reading it did you think it was a bit of a holiday guide by Bronny and did it not seem a while before it really broke stride with the mystery below the squat?

Kris Macintyre | 39 comments It did seem a bit like Bronny's journal of her travels. The change to the discovery of what was in the basement was sudden, I thought. Got into Bronny and friends' goings on, wondering about the little clues that something wasn't quite right (the smell, the noises) then hit with the big reveal, it seemed sooner than expected.

I am not sure about the sooner than expected Kris. For me I was wondering what it was all about at first other than a young girls travels and growing up.
I think crime/mystery should get to the point fairly soon or have some mystery etc to capture your attention and keep you interested. Had this not been our group read I think I may have given it up before it hit stride which would have been unfortunate as it turned out better than I expected.

Kris Macintyre | 39 comments I can understand wanting something to happen early to catch attention. I think while reading I forgot I was reading a mystery/thriller and got caught up in Bronny's story. I liked the character and wanted to see her get her act together. I was so used to the slower pace of the beginning, that I was taken by surprise when it suddenly picked up speed with the reveal.

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

I loved the way in part two we went from Bronny's adventures of an ingenue to discovering that a woman is being tortured in the basement. Like expecting Brigitte Jones and then Fred West shows up. Helen Fitzgerald was such a great find that when I finished this one I immediately read Bloody Woman and am waiting for another one from England. Really different.

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

The fact that Bronny has Huntington's gave this story a very distinctive flavour. I was once in an ethics discussion on whether a patient with a Huntington's diagnosis would be justified in committing suicide. At that time I thought no. Now I'd say yes. (Reading JoJo Moyes' Me Before You has made a difference, so has several years of hospital work.) Rereading this book realising that Bronny has nothing to lose makes it one of the most unusual crime novels I've read. Thank you.

message 12: by David (last edited Feb 04, 2013 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'd agree with that Bill which of course showed itself more at the end with Bronny.

For me it was almost like two books or as you say two parts. Once we got the lady downstairs into the book it developed greatly and was good. In fact you could almost have done a book on it's own surrounding the torture etc she received and her attempts to try and escape, rationale her attacker and her interaction etc.

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

A copy of Helen Fitzgerald's Dead Lovely just arrived from amazon.co.uk. I am so grateful to the club for introducing me to this writer.