Benediction (Plainsong, #3) Benediction discussion

celebrates the everyday

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterman I have been waiting for another book by Kent Haruf. I too read a reviewer's copy. He celebrates simple human relationships, their pain and glory. I especially liked the relationship the neighbor and her daughter forged with the next door neighbor's granddaughter -- the joys of giving. Not often mentioned let alone a cornerstone of any fiction I have read recently.

Dolly I liked "Benediction" enough to read an earlier book of Haruf (Plainsong). I didn't like Plainsong as much--too much suffering.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Benediction was well written and folksy, just not my type of book. The older man's death from cancer was unnecessarily graphic and drawn out. I felt like I was actually a family member waiting for him to pass. The book meandered pointlessly, but then so do a lot of books in this genre. I like a little more suspense, plot points, edgy characters and fancy writing myself.

Creston Mapes I love all of his books...fantastic writer.

Anna I loved this book but I think a big part of that was because I listened to the audio and the narrator just brought the whole thing to life and made the character so real.

Missy I recently read Benediction, right after Carol Shields's The Stone Diaries, and they both sneaked up on me with their insights into the everyday. I, too, usually prefer more "interesting" language (I'm a big Faulkner fan), but that was the best part: each sentence, each word in these books really is a quiet gem. I'm now reading Plainsong and am enjoying it just as much.

Gavin I enjoyed Benediction and this led me to go on a Haruf binge for a while. Some readers found the cancer death details of Dad in Benediction too real and possibly painful.I found them very rich and genuine, right down to the scenes with the Hospice Nurse. Sad and painful yes, but human to the bone. I grew up and live on the east coast, far from the rural territory of Haruf's books, yet his simple and truthful language, depictions of everyday people and events transcends locale. I recommend his writing for those seeking this slice of life.

message 8: by Deb (last edited May 08, 2014 03:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Stambaugh This novel brought me to tears as I was with my grandfather in law who had lived with us when he took his last breath in the nursing home. Nothing I have ever read rang so true as this scene. It was peaceful, sad and there was also a sense of relief that his pain was over.

Haruf's characters are just so real to me. People trying to make their way in the ordinary world.

message 9: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K Deb wrote: "This novel brought me to tears as I was with my grandfather in law who had lived with us when he took his last breath in the nursing home. Nothing I have ever read rang so true as this scene. It w..."

So touching.

I'm very thankful I began reading Haruf this year. I love each and every word he writes.

Perri I went on a Haruf binge too. Plainsong, Eventide, then Benediction. Love his style-quiet gem, honest to the bone, simple truthful language-all great descriptions. Have Where you Once Belonged on my night stand, and heard that's a bit difficult read, though

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Wahoski Benediction was a fine ending of a Trilogy of life in small town Holt Colorado. This novel dealt with difficult sickness , coping and loss and sorrow. . The Women of Atria Newburgh book club