UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling - Discussions

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:31AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling

The Second Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling

Winner of the January Book Selection competition :

As an ebook, how's about this one... have you ever felt you were half wolf, half-human, rejected by both societies? That your parents don't understand you and you should have been brought up by a panther and a bear in the jungle? If so, then 'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling will help you find out who you really are...

Forget Disney. Be careful not to settle for the cut versions. I mean the original Jungle Books, 1 and 2, which are available as free ebooks from 'classics' sites, and are really a collection of unforgettable short stories, including all the ones about Mowgli.
Jean

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments What a lovely selection. I may indeed look for this and give it a read. I never had any idea it was a selection of short stories!!

Anyone have some links? My internet is fucked and I can't do anything but beg it to load a page.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments The links in Simons post above go to Amazon sweetie x

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've downloaded these, but whether I will manage to get them read this month, I'm not sure...

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Congratulations on paying attention Elle -.-

Thanks Em x

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I love these stories.

I read them most recently whilst travelling round India and it made them even more special.

Wonderful choice.

message 7: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I love the Mongoose story

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading the first jungle book yesterday and have finished the first two stories. I'm really enjoying them! I loved the Just So Stories when I was a kid, but the only other stuff that I've read by Kipling was The Man Who Would Be King and his poem, If: A Father's Advice to His Son. I should have read Jungle Book sooner! Thanks for suggesting it, I prob would never have picked it up otherwise. I do love the disney film but I'm already getting annoyed with the liberties that they had taken with the story - it's still got my favourite disney music in the film though..

;0)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished reading the first Jungle book last night. I enjoyed it on the whole, but of course preferred some stories to others. My favourites were the Mowgli stories and Rikki Tikki Tavi, but I also enjoyed the story about the elephants dance. The only one I found a bit boring was the last story about the animals in the army.

After a break of reading other things, I intend to read the second Jungle book too.

:0)

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I loved the rhythm of the writing in the Mowgli stories.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I loved the rhythm of the writing in the Mowgli stories.

message 12: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa (clariann) I've started reading this to my son and he seems to be enjoying it, although he was disappointed that it isn't the same as the Disney film!

message 13: by Jean (new)

Jean Gill (jeangill) | 26 comments I'm in heaven - just realised you went for my choice :) I shall be here every day now :)

message 14: by Jean (new)

Jean Gill (jeangill) | 26 comments Clari wrote: "I've started reading this to my son and he seems to be enjoying it, although he was disappointed that it isn't the same as the Disney film!"

How old is your son? Do you change the words a lot? The language is quite difficult for modern children but very evocative, I think. I hate the way Disney has put a barrier in the way of the Kipling books - my nephew was insulted when I suggested he might like reading them :(

message 15: by E A M Harris (new)

E A M Harris    | 42 comments A lovely choice. I read some of these stories years ago. I think I'll give them a reread.

message 16: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa (clariann) Jean wrote: "How old is your son? Do you change the words a lot? The language is quite difficult for modern children but very evocative, I think. I hate the way Disney has put a barrier in the way of the Kipling books - my nephew was insulted when I suggested he might like reading them :( ."

My son is eight, I read it as it is and explain some of the words as we go along. I find the language very beautiful and hope that he'll grow an appreciation of it. He seems vaguely interested although he's got used to modern boys books like Alex Rider where there's action on every page. How old is your nephew, Jean?

message 17: by Jean (new)

Jean Gill (jeangill) | 26 comments He was twelve when I suggested he might enjoy it and automatically assumed from the Disney that it was 'kid's stuff' and too young for him. I think the language is beautiful too.

message 18: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Wheelaghan (httpwwwgoodreadscomMarianneW) | 106 comments I tried to read Kim by Rudyard Kipling and i found it hard work and it put me off his writing. However, the Jungle Book stories sound too good to miss. Will give them a go :)

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Cutts | 1 comments I spend more time reading the threads than joining in, I find Goodreads so big I get a bit scared! But thought I'd share that I often read the Just So stories and excerpts of The Jungle Book to my Cubs when we have a sleepover.

They are aged around 8-11 and love a 'bedtime' story. They found the language of them different at first but soon got into the rhythm of it and talked about the stories afterwards.

I love the fact that I get to read some of my favourite stories out loud (The Jungle Book was the first thing I downloaded when I got my Kindle) and the fact that another generation will sit and listen.

message 20: by Jean (new)

Jean Gill (jeangill) | 26 comments 'the Just So' stories have stayed popular in schools (certainly in the UK)but not 'The Jungle Books'. 'I am the cat who walks by himself' captures that poetry of animal nature that I think Kipling does so well.

I used to read all the Mowgli stories, then go back and read the other ones. I must dig up some quotes from 'The Jungle Books...'

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Our teachers read the Just So stories to us when I was at school in the 70s, but not the Jungle Book even then!

message 22: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa (clariann) Theresa wrote: "I love the fact that I get to read some of my favourite stories out loud.."

That is something I love doing too, Theresa, unfortunately my children don't like the same stories as me!

It is great that your cubs enjoy 'The Jungle Book'. I think my son did like the second story with Kaa. I myself was surprised that the snake was a 'good' character here as I'm not that fond of them in real life :) Although was Kaa going to eat Bagheera and Baloo if Mowgli hadn't broken them out of the trance?

I don't think there is any chance I'll finish 'The Jungle Book' by the end of this month, as we're going very slowly through it, but I'm very glad to have been prompted to read it by this group.