Lush Library discussion

Your General Reading Challenges > Jo's 2013/2014 challenge

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I've been really bad recently at starting a book then getting distracted by another and have ended up with 5 half read books.
I think part of it has been starting something and then thinking I need to start the monthly book but as those have died a death I need to focus now on 'finishing it up'.
So, 1: Rivers of London as I borrowed it and need to give it back.
2: The Lucifer box set as also need to give those back
3: The Secret Keeper as otherwise I'll forget what's happened so far.
4: The last Game of Thrones books

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Rivers of London finished - I think I have my reading mojo back! Enjoyed it, now I have to add the next two onto my to read list!
Lucifer box set next

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
All 3 Lucifer Box books read. I'm doing quite well I think!
Planning on finishing The Secret Keeper this weekend but my GoT DVDs are calling to me, must resist.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I do realise I'm just talking to myself here but am going to carry on anyway! :)

63% through the Secret Keeper but have had to stop and charge my kindle.
Next up are the biggies - 3,4 and 5 of Game of Thrones

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
You're having a good year:)

Which kindle do you have? Just wondering since you said about charging it and not all of them come with a plug. I need to get one for my Mum (has the new version Fire) and MIL (has the basic) takes ages to charge them via usb port.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Umm, it's the one before Fire - touch maybe? I only have a USB cable for it and yes it takes hours to fully charge, I must remember to get a plug cable from Amazon or somewhere.
Still not got going again with game of thrones, I wonder if I left too long a gap?

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

That's what I did with rivers of london - reminded me a lot of Neil Gaiman (think The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman ). I ended up going on to other books and realising that there were too many books out there that I want to read and it never really grabbed me like Gaiman:(

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I finished The Secret Keeper a while ago and forgot to update. Skipped GoT again, to start another book The Midwife's Confession

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
The midwife's confession done - time to tackle the last GoT books, no more procrastinating!

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
That was 6 months ago and I've still not finished! Holiday is in September, I WILL finish it then

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Looks shamefaced at feet - holiday is over and book is still not read. I think it might be time to give up on Game of Thrones, it feels like its becoming a chore which is strange because I was enjoying it up till the middle of book three.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I'm reading Game of Thrones at the moment, too. Or trying to. I found book two hard going, and then found part one of three quite gripping. I'm about ready to start part two, but I'd like to get back on track with my challenge before beginning another lengthy tome.

I'm finding them...not difficult or boring necessarily, but time consuming. It does feel like a bit of a chore sometimes, so I get where you're coming from.

Good luck if you decide to continue! It's certainly a series that requires patience :)

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I think it's partly because I stopped for a while and now whenever I pick it up again I have to remind myself what's going on by re-reading a chapter before.
Now it feels like I've been reading it forever and there's still loads to go!

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Miracle of miracles, I have not only FiNALLY finished book 3 part 1 A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow but also book 3 part 2 A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold
And all over a weekend, having been putting it off for about 2 years now!!

I finally got back into it and am racing through book 4 now :D

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Book 4 finished and 5 started :)

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
So it took me 18 months to complete my reading challenge but I got there!
What to set myself next??

message 17: by Kirsty (new)

Well done Jo!

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Took me long enough! My next challenge is to control my new Netflix addiction enough to actually read another book! I've got a six month free trial and a whole load of series to get through in that time (I probably shouldn't admit to that on goodreads ;)

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
Well done, Jo! I struggled a bit on and off with the GoT books. They're so long, and not always hugely gripping. I liked some of the volumes more than others.

I still haven't finished my challenge, but I will get there. Work gets in the way :)