UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone - By you know who!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 183 (183 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:32AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - J K Rowling

Winner of the January Book Selection Competition :

I don't think I could recommend anything other than Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone without a clear conscience.

This was the book that changed the entire course of my life. I mean, sometimes you can read a book and call it life changing but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't of changed your life as much as this did mine.

Without the Harry Potter series I don't think I would of gotten into reading as much as I did. I don't think I would of discovered PNR/UR/Fantasy and I wouldn't of got to read as many amazing books that I have.

Without Harry Potter I wouldn't of opened the 4 birthday cards and presents this morning from long time friends that I've met several times in real life that I originally met in the Harry Potter fandom. I wouldn't of woken up to a few dozen livejournal entries with different types of art for me saying Happy Birthday. I wouldn't of gotten many texts/twitter messages/facebook posts from people who share the exact same obsession with these books.

I wouldn't of got the chance to terrorise visit Edinburgh, London, Bath, York and many more places as much as I have over the years. (I wouldn't of met GL & Emma earlier in the Summer!!)

I wouldn't of known how amazing fandom is. I wouldn't of got into several other fandoms after I found out there is more to life than HP.

I wouldn't of spent several years of my life relying on my online friends and those books to just keep me going while I was drugged up with my anti-depressants. I don't like to think what I would of done without my support network.

I wouldn't of had an automatic way to cheer me up even all these years later. Just mention HP and I can't help but smile with how much it seriously improved my life.

I sound like a sap when I start talking about HP but there is no way I would have the life I lead now if it wasn't for those books and now that it is ended we need to keep it alive, because I need to keep my smile lasting forever.
Elle

message 2: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments Oh WOW!!
I have already decided to re read the series,...[again]... so I am delighted to do that along with my goodreads pals!!
good choice, really good choice!!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Yep I downloaded this just today despite having various DTB copies of it already!! So looking forward to discussing this with you all :-)

message 4: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Woop! I'm happy. I am doing a group re-read of the entire series so you are welcome to join in everyone! I'll be make a thread in the challenge section and I will be forcing discussion with certain topics all through the year!

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments i have downloaded it (borrowed from elibrary) as i said i would join in with you reading them this year, but i can't promise to join in any discussion cos i don't really do that sort of thing (school ruined me for that stuff and i can't get past that sorry) but yayyy to it being chosen :)

message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments no worries kath! no need to join in discussions.

and by discussions i generally mean me flailing or complaining.

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Great choice Elle.

I know the first book is aimed at a younger age group, but I'm happy being in touch with my inner teenager!

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Same here! Plus it does get darker and I think it needs the beginning to be fluffy to make sure no-one is utterly depressed from the start

message 9: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) Great book and a great series.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Can I cheat and watch the film instead?

Just my TBR is sooooooo huge!

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I've read it several times but these days I usually listen to it on cassettes - yep, Mrs Technology, me! Stephen Fry reads them brilliantly.

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments yes - i have all the audio books - i love stephen fry's reading of them - apparently jim dale did the us versions - would love to hear him... i may go on a google mission later!

message 13: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - J K Rowling

I don't think I could recommend anything other than Harry Potter and the Philosophers Sto..."

I have mixed views concerning the Potter series, but if they got people into reading book, then that can only be a good thing.

message 14: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I haven't listened to the audio versions myself. They are very expensive and I haven't thought to ask them for a gift so I will eventually get them.. when I remember...

message 15: by Elle (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:00AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments R.M.F wrote: "Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone - J K Rowling

I don't think I could recommend anything other than Harry Pott..."

*slaps*

What, How. What. Who.

*whistles*

message 16: by Elle (last edited Jan 06, 2013 06:39AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I would never really consider HP to be true YA.
(the later ones anyway)

Thoughts anyone?

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments The early ones are, though they are very readable by an adult, as is the best YA fiction. They definitely get deeper and darker as we get further through the series but I'd say still Young Adult. They don't play down the seriousness of the themes they deal with but at heart, you'd need to be youngish, or young in taste and outlook, to go for them.

That's not a criticism. I loved them all. Book 3 - Azbeban, is my favourite. I fancy they got a little weird later on.

message 18: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Goblet of Fire is my favourite.

And I think they kinda go between the lines of YA and Adult. There is a few books like that nowadays where they don't really fit in with other YA books but seem too childish to be Adult.

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments Azbeban? What Harry Potter books were you reading Ignite?

I think I'd have to go with book 3 as my favourite too, and no Patti, you can't watch the movies instead. All copies of the movies and any evidence of them ever being created should be destroyed in an incinerator and the ashes scattered in a vat of hydrochloric acid to ensure there is nothing left. Just thinking about the movies makes me mad.

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Azbeban? What Harry Potter books were you reading Ignite?

I think I'd have to go with book 3 as my favourite too, and no Patti, you can't watch the movies instead. All copies of the movies and an..."

I nearly wrote Astrakhan! I'm tired! Reading too late last night!

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments I also liked the third book more than the fourth. In order my list would go 3, 7, 1, 2, 5, 6, then 4,

When it came to the films I didn't like the adaptation of the third film at all, the fourth film was (in my view) better than the book (although again not a good/true adaptation)
With these films, and with Lord of the Rings I think that if you have enjoyed the books then the films will never match up to your own vision.

message 22: by Elle (last edited Jan 06, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I have to admit I love all the movies but I take the movies as a completely separate thing - like I do with all movie to book films.

A few things annoy me obviously but I let it slide and prefer to watch the movie trying to ignore the differences. I've done it for years and it generally always works

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments GoF seems to be the marmite of HP!

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "All copies of the movies and any evidence of them ever being created should be destroyed in an incinerator and the ashes scattered in a vat of hydrochloric acid to ensure there is nothing left. Just thinking about the movies makes me mad. "

watching the films led to me listening to the audio books which has now (with a nudge from Elle) led to me starting to read the books... i am pretty sure i am not the only one who has trod the path in this direction so they can't be all bad... surely ?

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I know plenty of people like you Kath.

Either they watched one of the films, or more than one, and then went to find the books.

Especially people from the new generation that didn't grow up with them

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I love the LOTR movies, I think they have been done really well. Actually scratch that, Viggo Mortesen is too hot (as Aragorn) for me to notice what is going on when he is on screen.

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments He's a bit too girlie for my taste Jud. He just looked girlie and grubby!
Didn't Theoden lead out a forlorn charge from Helm's Deep in the books but survived it in the film? Seemed to me to negate the huge sacrifice which stirred up the masses.

message 28: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I can't be sure, it's been so long now since I read the books but I am starting the Hobbit now and plan to read the LOTR after, so I can let you know.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments LOTR films are great as action films, with fantastic special effects and the rest of it. BUT since I have read the books many times, the films just change too many things, leave out things and add things in that were never in the books (although my nephew disputed that with me)

I think with both Harry Potter and LOTR reading the books before watching the films makes the films less enjoyable. Although I have all the films on DVD and do watch them I much prefer the books, & am just about ready to start re-reading LOTR.

(PS I haven't seen the Hobbit film yet & I'm not convinced I want to)

message 30: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Ignite wrote: "He's a bit too girlie for my taste Jud. He just looked girlie and grubby!
Didn't Theoden lead out a forlorn charge from Helm's Deep in the books but survived it in the film? Seemed to me to negat..."

Ignite, shame upon you for not remembering!

Theoden led a folorn charge from helm's Deep, but was saved by Gandal's return with the Men of Westfold, and the Huorns (who didn't make it to the film)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Aragorn.... DROOL!!! Thats me gone for the next hour...

message 32: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I wouldn't bother Janet, I wish I hadn't.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I loved the Hobbit and want to see it again. And I have read tyhe book over and over again.

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments Oh dear... HP I read all the books and watched all of the films and enjoyed both. LOTR... well, I couldn't finish either the books or the films. Don't know what happened there. I tried a few times as well. Clearly not for me.

message 35: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kiwi365) | 3707 comments I was in LOTR films as an extra. Great fun

message 36: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I never tried the books, they are too long.

But the films? Did nothing for me. I enjoyed the fight scenes being an action nut but the plot. Snorefest.

message 37: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments Lindsay wrote: "I was in LOTR films as an extra. Great fun"

That's cool!

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "I never tried the books, they are too long.

But the films? Did nothing for me. I enjoyed the fight scenes being an action nut but the plot. Snorefest."

Good to know. Everybody around me is LOTR mad so I'm the freak that doesn't like it.

message 39: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments People are always surprised because in theory I should love it y'know? But nah..

message 40: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "I would never really consider HP to be true YA.
(the later ones anyway)

Thoughts anyone?"

They change. The early ones are clearly MG - childrens books. Then as Harry grows, they become YA. But by the last book, they've arguably outgrown it.

message 41: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Reminds me strongly of the way Dianna Wynne Jones' books changed.

'As my children grew up' she explained in one interview.

message 42: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments The teenage angst in book 5 did my head in. I love the Harry Potter books but Harry Potter is an idiot.

message 43: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments My memory is of Theoden's being the last in a double row of graves. I read the book 5 times - but the last was when I was 25 and that's a LOOOOONG time ago!

message 44: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments Yea, he dies in the battle at Gondor when Eowyn kills one of the nasgul men who can not be killed by any man. "I am no man!" says she.

message 45: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Ignite, it's Theodred, son of Theoden, who is buried there.

i suspect I read (current tense) this book too often.

message 46: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Ah, well, thirty-odd (PLUS VAT!) years can dull the memory!

message 47: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Do NOT mention the 'V'word..

message 48: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Whoops. Not even Vampire?

message 49: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Vampires are allowed.

Funnily enough, I don't recall any in HP.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Or vuvuzela?

« previous 1 3 4