Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > January 2013 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Happy New Year! Share your January purchases with us here and show how you start the new year.

message 2: by Thom (last edited Jan 01, 2013 10:41AM) (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Van Dale Groot Woordenboek Der Nederlandse Taal A-I by Guido Geerts Van Dale Groot Woordenboek Der Nederlandse Taal J-R by Guido Geerts Van Dale Groot Woordenboek Der Nederlandse Taal S-Z by Guido Geerts Dutch dictionary in three volumes and
The Night Listener by Armistead Maupin New Years day book market..... can't start too soon!

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments A couple more books to feed my Kindle:

Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

message 5: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments So I made a new year's resolution not to buy any more books... but today I bought Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman, so that's going well =]

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I got three books in the mail today that I won in a contest

Rub It In by Kira Sinclair Take It Down by Kira Sinclair Bring It On by Kira Sinclair

Went book shopping with best friend on the first and hit the local bookstore, which was having a buy two, get the third free deal

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie The Supplicant by Lucinda Betts Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1) by Tessa Gratton Graveminder by Melissa Marr Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way by Bruce Campbell Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris

message 7: by Joseph (last edited Jan 03, 2013 05:24AM) (new)

Batsap wrote: "So I made a new year's resolution not to buy any more books... but today I bought Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman, so that's going well =]"

Batsap, that's definately a perfect example of a pie crust promise- easily made, easily broken. ;-)

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) Three days into January and I've bought a new book. I went to the Cinema to see Life of Pi yesterday, and when I got home, I bought the book :)

message 9: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments The Belly Dancer by DeAnna Cameron The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall Guilty Wives by James Patterson Absolute Friends by John le Carré Epitaph of a Small Winner by Machado de Assis The Return of Eva Peron With The Killings In Trinidad by V.S. Naipaul A Taste For Death by P.D. James The Black Tower by P.D. James Last Orders by Graham Swift The Brethren by John Grisham I am keeping pace with last year!

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments I had not intended to buy any books this month. That being said I ordered Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2) by Elizabeth Vaughan Warlord (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3) by Elizabeth Vaughan from thriftbooks yesterday and Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4) by Molly Harper and Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4) by Elizabeth Vaughan from amazon today.

That lasted 2 whole days...

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) wrote: "I had not intended to buy any books this month. That being said I ordered Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2) by Elizabeth VaughanWarlord (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3) by Elizabeth Vaughan from thriftbooks yesterday and [bookcover:Nice Girls Don't Date Dead M..."

Cristina, if you haven't read them already, you are really going to like Molly Murphy's Jane Jameson series. It is a real riot, a lot of fun to read. One of my favorite series.

message 12: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments Joseph wrote: "Batsap wrote: "So I made a new year's resolution not to buy any more books... but today I bought Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman, so that's going well =]"

Batsap, that's definately a perfect exampl..."

Haha, if my promises were as heavy as the pastry I make then I wouldn't have bought Bury Me Standing by Isabel Fonseca and Discovering Dorothea The Life of the Pioneering Fossil-Hunter Dorothea Bate by Karolyn Shindler yesterday. =]

But so far I've been buying classics and non-fiction, which are brainy things, so surely they don't count in the book buying-ban. Right? ;D

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments Joseph wrote: "Cristina, if you haven't read them already, you are really going to like Molly Murphy's Jane Jameson series. It is a real riot, a lot of fun to read. One of my favorite series. "

I just finished Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs yesterday so I had to buy the rest of the series. :)
I was initially introduced to Molly Harper by way of How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf.

I got it on Audible and I have to admit, I cackled... a lot.

message 14: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) | 215 comments Utterly Uncle Fred

Doktor Glass

Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane

Even though I promised myself I would read the books I already owned this year . . . That resolution didn't last long.

message 15: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) | 215 comments Rebecca wrote: "Three days into January and I've bought a new book. I went to the Cinema to see Life of Pi yesterday, and when I got home, I bought the book :)"

I'll bet the movie is really incredible if you haven't read the book first? I like to be surprised, then read the book afterwards. Can't do that with Life of Pi -- either I read it too soon, or they took way too long to make that movie!

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) Lea wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Three days into January and I've bought a new book. I went to the Cinema to see Life of Pi yesterday, and when I got home, I bought the book :)"

I'll bet the movie is really incre..."

I really loved the film, I intended to get the book anyway, but it doesn't bother me which order I read/see them in :)

I told myself I wouldn't buy myself anymore books for a while, but www.theworks.co.uk has a 3 for £5 deal, so I had to :)

message 17: by Joy (new)

Joy Started off my year with 2 new ones! I got When the Ghost Screams True Stories of Victims Who Haunt by Leslie Rule and Coast to Coast Ghosts True Stories of Hauntings Across America by Leslie Rule

message 18: by Joseph (new)

My first new books of the year: The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin and Nest of Serpents by Curtis Jobling. The really cool thing about these two is I'm going to a book signing by both of these authors in a couple of weeks. :-)

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) So far in January, I've bought Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel Life of Pi by Yann Martel Manhattan by Ronni Cooper My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and The BFG / Matilda / George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments Kindle books:
Gothic Warrior and the Dark Man by Billy Wong Fire by William Esmont Lunacy by Heather Farthing Nolander (Emanations, #1) by Becca Mills

Flea market finds:
Empire Falls by Richard Russo Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man  by Fannie Flagg Life of Pi by Yann Martel A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik That Camden Summer by LaVyrle Spencer The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans

and I won
Hacker Mom by Austen Rachlis

So far it has been a good month!

message 22: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments Rift (Nightshade Prequel, #1) by Andrea Cremer , Rise (Nightshade Prequel, #2) by Andrea Cremer , Georgette Heyer by Jennifer Kloester , To Marry an English Lord by Gail MacColl , Penhallow by Georgette Heyer ,and An Adventurous Lady by Valerie King so far this month

message 23: by Joseph (new)

Today, I picked up: Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1) by Beth Ciotta Death Warmed Over (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #1) by Kevin J. Anderson Unnatural Acts (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #2) by Kevin J. Anderson Ever After (The Hollows, #11) by Kim Harrison

message 24: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1) by Eugenia Price Disordered Minds by Minette Walters Dark Places by Gillian Flynn The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone #1) by Steve Berry Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom The Longings of Women by Marge Piercy Singapore at War Secrets from the Fall, Liberation and the Aftermath of WWII. by Romen Bose by Romen Bose The Hunt Club by John Lescroart Fury (Tweed & Co. #12) by Colin Forbes Tattered Silk by Elaine Barbieri Hidden Agendas (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #2) by Tom Clancy Cabal by Clive Barker Lady Boss by Jackie Collins First Family by David Baldacci These I all bought at a flea market on a very sunny but cold winter's day.

message 25: by J.W. (last edited Jan 13, 2013 10:27AM) (new)

J.W. Griebel (jengri) | 14 comments Here goes nothing. Well, actually, something--a lot of it, in fact, due to Betterworld Books' end of the year, 30% off ten books or more sale. Don't judge me--I went eight months without buying books. I was running low. I, um... need more excuses.

From The Teeth Of Angels by Jonathan Carroll A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1) by John Bellairs We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver The Lions of al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay The Darkness That Comes Before (The Prince of Nothing, #1) by R. Scott Bakker Shade's Children by Garth Nix Sleeping in Flame by Jonathan Carroll Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat, #2) by Clive Barker The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex The Chronicles of Chrestomanci Volume I (Chrestomanci #1-2) by Diana Wynne Jones The Shadow Thieves (Cronus Chronicles, #1) by Anne Ursu Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke The Death of Yorik Mortwell by Stephen Messer The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear (Zamonia, #1) by Walter Moers The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) by Michael Moorcock James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead The Once and Future King (The Once and Future King, #1-4) by T.H. White The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue Glass Soup by Jonathan Carroll Outside the Dog Museum by Jonathan Carroll The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman The Heart Of Myrial (Shadowleague) by Maggie Furey Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1) by William Gibson Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) by Steven Erikson The Wizard (The Wizard Knight, #2) by Gene Wolfe Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip Trader (Newford, #7) by Charles de Lint A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin A Stir of Bones (Red Heart of Memories, # 0.5) by Nina Kiriki Hoffman The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) by Michael Moorcock The Chronicles of Amber (Amber #1-5) by Roger Zelazny The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing, #2) by R. Scott Bakker Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones The Drowned Life by Jeffrey Ford To Reign in Hell A Novel by Steven Brust The Weird of the White Wolf (Elric, #3) by Michael Moorcock The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2) by Michael Moorcock The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2) by Terry Pratchett The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett Eight Days of Luke by Diana Wynne Jones In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French After Silence by Jonathan Carroll The Swords Trilogy by Michael Moorcock The Fortress of the Pearl (Elric, #8) by Michael Moorcock Elric at the End of Time (Elric, #7) by Michael Moorcock Stormbringer (Elric, #6) by Michael Moorcock The Bane of the Black Sword (Elric, #5) by Michael Moorcock Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1) by Joseph Delaney Mythago Wood (Mythago Wood, #1) by Robert Holdstock Bones of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll The Book of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari The Knight (The Wizard Knight, #1) by Gene Wolfe The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor Seeing Redd (The Looking Glass Wars, #2) by Frank Beddor Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black The Princess Bride  by William Goldman Everville by Clive Barker God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe The Etched City by K.J. Bishop White Apples by Jonathan Carroll Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver InterWorld by Neil Gaiman The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2) by P.C. Hodgell

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments just bought:
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende Georgia Love Is Just Peachy in Four Complete Novels by Gina Fields Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer

message 27: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) | 215 comments Jesse wrote: "Here goes nothing. Well, actually, something--a lot of it, in fact, due to Betterworld Books' end of the year, 30% off ten books or more sale. Don't judge me--I went eight months without buying boo..."

SO JEALOUS! A huge haul, and so many great books -- I wanna go shopping!

message 28: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments I just got Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi today.

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melanie_yamidnightreads) I received and bought:
Under the Never Sky By Veronica Rossi
Just Listen By Sarah Dessen
Monsters of Men By Patrick Ness
Divergent By Veronica Roth
Heist Society By Ally Carter
The Demon King By Chinda Chima
Tiger's Curse by Collen Houlk
Unearthly By Cynthia Hand
Hereafter By Tara Hudson
Variant By Robinson Wells
Poison Study By Maria V. Snyder

message 30: by Joseph (new)

Got delivered from Thriftbooks: Savage Hunger (Heart of the Jaguar #1) by Terry Spear A Little Night Magic by Lucy March Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees

message 31: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments I purchased "Death Comes to Pemberly" by PD James

message 32: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 151 comments This is what I have purchased:
In a Blink (Disney Fairies Never Girls #1) by Kiki Thorpe , Never Girls #2 The Space Between (Disney Fairies) by Kiki Thorpe , The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott

message 33: by Joseph (new)

Got a whopper of a delivery yesterday: A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5 ) by Alan Bradley Haunted Moon (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #13) by Yasmine Galenorn The Llama of Death A Gunn Zoo Mystery by Betty Webb Death at Dartmoor (A Victorian Mystery, #8) by Robin Paige The Mermaid's Madness (Princess, #2) by Jim C. Hines

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments With out counting Kindle books and duplicate purchases (this is what happens when I buy when goodreads is down) I only bought 5 books this month (so far).

The Saint (Highland Guard, #5) by Monica McCarty One Bite With A Stranger (The Others #1) by Christine Warren True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team #4) by Rachel Gibson Devil at Midnight (Midnight, #9) by Emma Holly Witchling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #1) by Yasmine Galenorn

One day when I'm brave enough to take in the amount I've spent at amazon I'll list my Kindle purchases.

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccas_books) Today I bought Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters for £0.37 and City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare for £2.99,both brand new :)

message 36: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) Just got Warm Bodies Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1) by Isaac Marion

message 37: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette (antiem80) | 5 comments Veronika wrote: "Just got Warm Bodies Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1) by Isaac Marion"

I thought it was really well-written and the upcoming film seems to deliberately play up the humor in the book (which I found to be very subtle) so I think it's definitely worth a read even if you see the film (which does look good too)!

message 38: by Veronika (last edited Jan 17, 2013 07:48PM) (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) Antoinette wrote: "Veronika wrote: "Just got Warm Bodies Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1) by Isaac Marion"

I thought it was really well-written and the upcoming film seems to deliberately play up the humor in the book (which I foun..."

Yes, I can not wait for the film! It looks hilarious and the first four minutes of the movie that they uploaded on line looks very promising! I love it. I read it around when it first came out; I just bought a copy to add to my collection and so that I could reread it sometime in the future. I heard there is a sequel in the works; I'm not sure how I feel about that yet lol.

message 39: by Joseph (new)

One more delivery arrived yesterday: Naked City Tales of Urban Fantasy (Riverside Series; The Dresden Files, #10.9) by Ellen Datlow . That'll probably be it for this month. Maybe. ;-)

message 40: by Thom (last edited Jan 19, 2013 10:01PM) (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments The Ancien Régime French Society, 1600-1750 (Phoenix Giants S.) by Pierre Goubert Unnatural Exposure (Kay Scarpetta, #8) by Patricia Cornwell The Rule Of Four by Ian Caldwell Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2) by Andy McNab Next by Michael Crichton Bleedout by Joan Brady Lies of Silence (BlackBirds, #3) by Brian Moore The Quiet American (Vintage Classics) by Graham Greene The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini The Last Templar (Templar, #1) by Raymond Khoury Break No Bones (Temperance Brennan, #9) by Kathy Reichs Shame A Novel by Salman Rushdie Nothing Natural by Jenny Diski The Vanished Man (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by Jeffery Deaver Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3) by Terry Goodkind Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3) by Terry Goodkind Twelve Red Herrings by Jeffrey Archer End in Tears by Ruth Rendell All for 12 Euros....... not a bad buy in my opinion.

message 41: by Tayla36 (new)

Tayla36 | 14 comments I got an Amazon gift card for christmas, and many used booksellers sell through Amazon Marketplace. I filled it 2nd and 3rd books of series I'm reading

The Goblin Gate (Goblin Wood, #2) by Hilari Bell The Goblin War (Goblin Wood, #3) by Hilari Bell The Sword of Straw by Amanda Hemingway The Poisoned Crown by Amanda Hemingway The Usurper's Crown (Isavalta, #2) by Sarah Zettel Terra Insegura by Edward Willett

and Miles in Love (Vorkosigan Saga, #11-12; Vorkosigan Omnibus, #5) by Lois McMaster Bujold omnibus because it's the only way to get "Winterfaire Gifts"

message 42: by Joseph (new)

Another delivery: The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2) by Kate Locke

message 43: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) Just got The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2) by Rick Yancey and The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3) by Rick Yancey in the mail today!!!

message 44: by Joseph (new)

More arrived! :-) Cat Trick A Magical Cats Mystery by Sofie Kelly A Duke Never Yields (Affairs by Moonlight, #3) by Juliana Gray House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7) by Chloe Neill

message 45: by Shauna (last edited Jan 25, 2013 07:27PM) (new)

message 46: by Nicole D. (last edited Jan 26, 2013 01:55PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments Shauna wrote: "City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare"

I LOVE her books.I have them all and have read some of them twice.Plus I am going to pre-order her upcoming book next time I go to the bookstore.

message 47: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks Six Reasons to Stay a Virgin by Louise Harwood The hidden female side of me caused me to walk away with these first two books and then I found this third to reaffirm my masculinity. The Moscow Club by Joseph Finder

message 48: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments The World of Shannara It was priced at £3.99 in the Works, but when I paid for it I was only charged £1.49!

message 49: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Castle | 105 comments Nicole D. wrote: "Shauna wrote: "City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare"

I LOVE her books.I have them all and have read some of them twice.Plus I am going to pre-order her upcoming book next time I go to the bookstore."

They've been recommended to me dozens of times and I actually started City of Bones on my Kindle and just couldn't get into it. But I found it on Bargain at the bookstore and decided to give the series another try. So glad I did! I'm hooked now.

message 50: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 65 comments I've bought quite a few... new year, same old addiction!

Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day Reflected in You by Sylvia Day Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn The Salem Witch Society by K.N. Shields A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin Castles of Britain and Ireland. Rodney Castleden by Rodney Castleden

« previous 1