Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - Jan 2013 - Elizabeth Peters

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jan 01, 2013 05:49AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Our featured cozy author to start out the new year is Elizabeth Peters. Her Goodreads bio:

Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lives in a historic farmhouse in Frederick, western Maryland.

Her official website is: http://www.ameliapeabody.com/index.htm

The following list of her works is off her official website:

Elizabeth Peters Books
Nonseries:

The Jackal's Head
The Camelot Caper
The Dead Sea Cipher
The Night of 400 Rabbits
Legend in Green Velvet
Devil-May-Care
The Love Talker
Summer of the Dragon
Copenhagen Connection

Amelia Peabody Series:

Crocodile on the Sandbank
Curse of the Pharaohs
The Mummy Case
Lion in the Valley
The Deeds of the Disturber
The Last Camel Died at Noon
The Snake, the Crocodile, and the Dog
The Hippopotamus Pool
Seeing a Large Cat
The Ape Who Guards the Balance
The Falcon at the Portal
He Shall Thunder in the Sky
Lord of the Silent
The Golden One
Children of the Storm
Amelia Peabody's Egypt
Guardian of the Horizon

Vicky Bliss Series:

Borrower of the Night
Street of Five Moons
Silhouette in Scarlet
Trojan Gold
Night Train to Memphis

Jacqueline Kirby Series:

The Seventh Sinner
Murders of Richard III
Die for Love
Naked Once More

Barbara Michaels Books:

The Master of Blacktower
Sons of the Wolf
Ammie Come Home
Prince of Darkness
The Dark on the Other Side
The Crying Child
Greygallows
Witch
House of Many Shadows
Sea King's Daughter
Patriot's Dream
Wings of the Falcon
Wait for What Will Come
The Walker in Shadows
The Wizard's Daughter
Someone in the House
Black Rainbow
Here I Stay
The Grey Beginning
Be Buried in the Rain
Shattered Silk
Search the Shadows
Smoke and Mirrors
Into the Darkness
Vanish with the Rose
Houses of Stone
Stitches in Time
The Dancing Floor
Other Worlds

Barbara Mertz Books
nonfiction - Egyptology

Temples, Tombs and Hieroglyphs
Red Land, Black Land

message 2: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56951 comments Finally, my favorite cozy author! I hope everyone enjoys her books. I highly recommend the Amelia Peabody series.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried one of her books a while ago and it wasn't for me. Can't remember why I didn't like it, just remember that I didn't. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

message 4: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I think I may have a copy of Die for Love by Elizabeth Peters in the stash, so I'll read that. If I can't find it, I'll hit the library for one of the Amelia Peabody books. I read the first two or three years ago and enjoyed them.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Yay! Elizabeth Peters!! I have read most of the Amelia Peabody series but am missing a couple, so this is a good chance for me to finish this series!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Elizabeth wrote: "I tried one of her books a while ago and it wasn't for me. Can't remember why I didn't like it, just remember that I didn't. I'm sure I'm in the minority though."

I didn't much care for her non-Amelia mysteries -- maybe the one you tried was one of those?

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 62 comments Elizabeth Peters is one of my favorite authors! I also enjoy the books under the Barbara Michaels name.

message 8: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads | 170 comments #6 in the Vicky Bliss series is The Laughter of Dead Kings (Vicky Bliss, #6) by Elizabeth Peters The Laughter of Dead Kings. I am a big fan also, of this series, Amelia, and the books by Barbara Michaels.

message 9: by Moonlight (last edited Jan 01, 2013 09:07AM) (new)

Moonlight | 49 comments I've read her Amelia Peabody and Vicky Bliss series. Vicky Bliss was okay but the Amelia Peabody is one of my favorites. I didn't care so much for The Last Camel Died at Noon. It was my least favorite of the series. I also thought that the first book, Crocodile on the Sandbank, was a bit slow but I loved the characters. I read the next three in quick succession. I loved Curse of the Pharoahs. I have the Murders of Richard III and Die for Love on my TBR pile.

message 10: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56951 comments I enjoy the Vicky Bliss series, but Amelia Peabody and her family is addictive! I loved all the books but the last one.

message 11: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Great author and can't wait to read more than just the one I have already. Yeah!

message 12: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I just finished reading The Jackal's Head a few weeks ago. I thought it was ok, a little slow. I will try The Dead Sea Cipher because it features postcards in the storyline, so I can use it for "letter writing" task in the monthly challenge.

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 50 comments Amelia Peabody is one of my favorite series! There are a few more than on the list above. I'd love to reread the first one, if I can fit it in with other reads I'm already committed to. But I will check in and see what you all are saying about it!

The only other Elizabeth Peters book I've read was The Murders of Richard III, but I wasn't that crazy about it.

message 14: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56951 comments The first book I ever read was The Camelot Caper when it first was published in the 1970's. I laughed all the way through it. I reread it a few years ago and laughed just as much.

message 15: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Denise wrote: "Amelia Peabody is one of my favorite series! There are a few more than on the list above. I'd love to reread the first one, if I can fit it in with other reads I'm already committed to. But I wi..."

I got the list of her books off her official website. Sounds like she needs to update it then. :)

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne Pichette | 65 comments I really enjoy the Amelia Peabody series and have read most of them. I also enjoy the Vicki Bliss series. I reall enjoy the archeologg stories in the Amelia Peabody Series.

message 17: by Joann (new)

Joann | 2 comments Love the Amelia Peabody series. The characterization is wonderful and the archeology is interesting.

message 18: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 29 comments I think I have all the Peters books and most of the Michaels ones. I love the Amelia Peabody books. The later ones where we see her through her son's eyes are wonderful. The problem for some may be that to catch much of the humor in the later books you need to have started from the beginning of the series.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 44 comments I recently got some of these, glad to know a cozy to read to go with the challenge I'm doing and I notice there are a lot in the Amelia Peabody series!

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 50 comments ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "I got the list of her books off her official website. Sounds like she needs to update it then. :)"

Yes, the last three that have come out are missing:

The Serpent on the Crown
Tomb of the Golden Bird (which includes the discovery of King Tut's tomb)
A River in the Sky (which takes place earlier; her original intention was to end with finding Tut; this one falls chronologically between Guardian of the Horizon and The Falcon at the Portal)

Amelia Peabody's Egypt is a companion book; I don't have that one (yet!).

message 21: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments I've put up a written review of Crocodile on the Sandbank, which I've read twice and enjoyed immensely. like several others have said, I found her Vicki Bliss okay but not as good - in fact, I thought the last one was disappointing. I too have favorites of Amelia and Emerson, liking some better than others. but for you audio book fans, the reader of the Amelia Peabody mysteries is fantastic, and these are great books to listen to on a long drive.

message 22: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17750 comments Mod
Yes! An author whose books I already have in Mount TBR. I picked up The Love Talker and Crocodile on the Sandbank at the library's used book sale eons ago, and have yet to get to them. Am now starting The Love Talker.

Looking at my GR TBR shelf, I apparently have one of her Barbaba Michaels books as well, Houses of Stone. Hmmm...where do we suppose that might be hiding? :-|

message 23: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 977 comments The first book I read was Shattered Silk by Barbara Michaels, and I've been reading Elizabeth Peters ever since. I appreciated that her protagonist in that book was pretty much just an average woman, and there was a dog, as I recall, that just cracked me up.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments YAY! I know I've got a couple of Amelia's and one of her other books around here somewhere.

message 25: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I'm listening to The Deeds of the Disturber. I'd forgotten just how funny Amelia can be. The narrator is terrific.

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol | 12 comments I've read or listened to all the Amelia and Vicky books. I love Amelia! It's been so long though, I think I'll start over.

message 27: by Moonlight (new)

Moonlight | 49 comments From the Amelia Peabody list, we are missing:

A River in the Sky
The Serpent on the Crown
Tomb of the Golden Bird

and from the Vicky Bliss list:

The Laughter of Dead Kings

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen I have always wanted to read one of hers. Now is my opportunity.

message 29: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 854 comments Karen wrote: "I have always wanted to read one of hers. Now is my opportunity."

Karen, if you are reading your 1st Elizabeth Peters, the best place to begin is with the featured book, The Crocodile on the Sandbank. it is the 1st in her arguably best series of books.

message 30: by Kait (new)

Kait Carson | 181 comments Oh good! I just bought Seeing a Large Cat Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody, #9) by Elizabeth Peters . I have been wanting to read Elizabeth Peters, but somehow... Now I will. Looking forward to the read.

message 31: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Finished The Love Talker this evening. Don't let the title deter you. This was a good stand-alone mystery, as well as a great introduction to Peters. Now, on to the "Crocodile" book...

message 32: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 6 comments Vicki Bliss is my favorite series of hers. I keep wanting to like Amelia, but they were just more archeology and less story than I like. I love all her Barbara Michael's mysteries too.

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 50 comments When I was in grade school, I was really interested in Egyption mythology, etc., so I think this series just brought that back out in me.

message 34: by Leighann (last edited Jan 08, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Leighann Dobbs (leedobbins) | 6 comments I've always loved anything to do with ancient egypt, but I had never heard of the Amelia Peabody series. Just bought "The Last Camel Died at Noon" and am looking forward to discovering a new favorite series to read.

message 35: by ChrisGA (last edited Jan 08, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

ChrisGA | 33 comments I read most of the Amelia Peabodys years ago, but don't remember reading CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK. I'm about 2/3 finished and enjoying it. The encounters of the explosive, blustering Emerson, with Amelia who is quick to take on any issue she feels needs confronting are humorous and foreshadow a future relationship.

message 36: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jjelizalde) I love the Amelia Peabody series, but my all time favorite is Ammie Come Home written as Barbara Michaels. In my opinion, one of the best ghost stories ever written. I've worn out four or five copies.

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 50 comments Jeanine wrote: "I love the Amelia Peabody series, but my all time favorite is Ammie Come Home written as Barbara Michaels. In my opinion, one of the best ghost stories ever written. I've worn out four or five co..."

I remember seeing a TV movie of that one.

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 62 comments Jeanine wrote: "I love the Amelia Peabody series, but my all time favorite is Ammie Come Home written as Barbara Michaels. In my opinion, one of the best ghost stories ever written. I've worn out four or five co..."

Jeanine, I agree. Ammie, Come Home is one of my all-time favorite books. A great ghost story!

message 39: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jjelizalde) I don't recall ever seeing the movie, Denise do you remember what it was called? I'd love to see it.

message 40: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 29 comments Ammie Come Home was the first book by Barbara Michaels that I read. That was almost forty years ago. I was in college at the time. I still remember it as one of the scariest things I ever read. I'm pleased that others find it to be one of her best. Never sure if it really was my favorite or if seemed that way because it was the first I read.

message 41: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 50 comments Jeanine wrote: "I don't recall ever seeing the movie, Denise do you remember what it was called? I'd love to see it."

I had to look it up - it was called The House That Would Not Die, starred Barbara Stanwyck, and was an early '70s TV movie.

message 42: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jjelizalde) Thanks Denise. I'll see if I can locate it on Netflix or online.

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 44 comments Well I finished the first book 2 days ago. It was a little slow to start, but after it got into the action with the Emersons, it was great. I look forward to reading the next one!

message 44: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Was up extemely late last night finishing Crocodile on the Sandbank. Though I guessed who was behind the mystery, it was still enjoyable. Loved the ending!

message 45: by Barb (new)

Barb | 953 comments I've been reading this thread since it was posted, and I just now realized that I read -- and enjoyed! -- a Barbara Michaels book, The Dancing Floor, for our book group at work several years ago. Are these books a series, or are they stand alones?

message 46: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jjelizalde) Correct. All the Barbara Michaels are stand alones.

message 47: by Barb (new)

Barb | 953 comments That's good to know, thanks :)

message 48: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads | 170 comments Ammie, Come Home Ammie, Come Home by Barbara Michaels was also my first Barbara Michaels book. I was in high school at the time.

Goodreads lists Ammie, Come Home in the Georgetown series, along with Shattered Silk and Stitches in Time. The sister of Sara (from Ammie) is in the other two books, along with Ruth and Pat. But you don't have to read them in order.

message 49: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I finished The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5) by Elizabeth Peters which I really enjoyed. For some reason this series had dropped off of my radar. I'll have to pick up a couple more. I remember reading Ammie, Come Home by Barbara Michaels when I was in my teens and enjoying it in a creeped out way. Has anyone else read Die for Love by Elizabeth Peters ? Too funny!

message 50: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56951 comments Sandra J, I read Die for Love quite a few years ago and I remember laughing all the way through. We were on vacation when I read it and I embarrassed my kids by laughing out loud in public.

« previous 1