Literary Exploration discussion

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
This topic is about The Shadow of the Wind
The Shadow of the Wind > The Shadow of the Wind - Final Thoughts *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
For the people that have read this already, what are your thoughts.

Lauren (youratlass) | 11 comments I loved this novel until the end. I thought it was a cheap cop out to wrap everything up so neatly with a letter giving away everything. That alone was the reason I rated it 4 stars. Up to that point I was convinced it was my new favorite book.

June (zeineb) loved it and went on to read the others in the series..in fact I have read it twice..

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Hunt | 104 comments Loved it when I read it ages ago and now I know it's part of a series going to reread it when I've got the set.

Traveller (moontravlr) | 48 comments I absolutely loved it, and have purchased his next book. Now i just need the time to read it...

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 86 comments I really enjoyed this book. It really kept your mind engaged because so many layers of story kept being added in.

Andrea I feel like I fell headfirst into this book and I never looked back. I've ordered the other two in the series because I loved this one so much. The writing was so beautifully descriptive. I think I may reread this one, only this time I would like to read the original in Spanish instead of the translation.

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1 comments "Shadow of the Wind" will go down as one of my favorite novels. I read it twice in two years.
I would love to retrack the story in Barcelona one day.

Sole | 10 comments It is one of my favorite novel too. After the reading this one I read all other books written by Carlos Ruiz Zafón but only one - The Angel’s Game was similar to The Shadow of the Wind, and I loved it even more.

Lauren (estrangeira) I really liked this one, it was fun, over-the-top, dark. I do have to agree with Lauren though, the ending felt too neat and cinematic to me. And the women characters seemed underdeveloped. All in all a good read :)

message 11: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) Colleen wrote: ""Shadow of the Wind" will go down as one of my favorite novels. I read it twice in two years.
I would love to retrack the story in Barcelona one day."

I'd love to visit Barcelona too!
There's a bunch of helpful books and apps to guide you through "Zafón's Barcelona", for example De schaduw van de wind: Stadsgids, literaire reisgids. I know there is a german translation, but on gr there is only the dutch original. Sure there is an english translation or other possibilities.

Jo Ann  | 11 comments I agree great book! I read the other two in the series but I didn't think they were quite as good as Shadow of the Wind.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 12, 2013 01:40PM) (new)

I first read The Shadow of the Wind a few years ago as a book club selection. I didn't expect to enjoy it because it's dark and a mystery, which is not my thing. It took me about 50 pages to change my mind. (This is where I get sappy, so turn away if you must...)

Shadow took me by surprise with the power of Zafón's beautiful prose, and has become one of my favorite books. I have reread it twice, and it is among the tiny group of books with a permanent home on my bookshelf. The books that follow it, The Angel's Game and The Prisoner of Heaven are wonderful, but do not live up to the magnificence that is The Shadow of the Wind.

Check out Annalisa's review on GR. Her critique is thoughtful and eloquent, and she includes a long list of favorite passages.

Kimberly | 7 comments If I can memorize this book by heart, I will. It's that good!

message 15: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 8 comments Really enjoyed this book, The version I read had walking tour of Barcelona , it made me want to go and visit Barcelona.

message 16: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Lopez | 1 comments This book is on the top of my list. I've read it twice in less than 2 years and I've read all of Carlos Ruiz's works (yes, even his young adult series). I hope he continues writing, as I can't wait for his next work. Doing the 'Shadow Of The Wind Walk' is on my bucket list, it would be great to be able to do it with someone or people who loves the book as much as I do!

Alexi | 3 comments I enjoyed this book, but it isn't a favorite. The last 100 pages or so were a little difficult to get through. I felt like instead of developing the good story line that was already in place, the author just kept making unnecessary additions. The story was good and it was so wonderfully written, but I felt like the end of the book went off course a little and was wrapped up in a perfect bow. It was a little too convenient to be given a letter that explains the whole mystery. The ending reminded me of a TV crime drama in which the case was solved because the murderer left behind his blood stained driver's license. At the end of this novel I literally said, "Oh. Well that was convenient."

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I love sad love stories and am quite fond of mysteries, so this book was just perfect for me.

I'm glad my sister has the follow-up volumes too :)

Franky I liked this book, but one thing that bugged me was the over-the-top villainy in the novel, which makes the villains a bit of a stereotype. I didn't really understand the main antagonist's motivation to do the things he does.

I agree with Alexi about the ending, which was a little too tidy and neat, but I think with the homage to Dickens, I can accept it.

Fermin had a "court jester" quality to him that at first I found amusing, but eventually grated on my nerves.

Over all though, I thought it was a fascinating story. I love how it involved a naive protagonist and, of course, books! Mostly I liked the atmosphere that the author captures, and that there is an element of mystery.