Literary Exploration discussion

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
This topic is about The Shadow of the Wind
The Shadow of the Wind > The Shadow of the Wind - First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
What are your first thoughts of this book

message 2: by Morbus (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Morbus Iff (morbus-iff) | 3 comments My first impression is: It's Great Expectations.

I'm up to page 100 or so (chapter 14). Perhaps I've been needlessly influenced by the critic reviews (which, yeah, I read), but ever since one of them compared Zafón to Dickens, I've been "feeling" Great Expectations a lot.

SPOILERS: See my http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... for details.

Still, I love books about books, and I loved Great Expectations. I'm quite enjoying this one too.

Lauren (youratlass) | 11 comments My first thoughts when I read this (several months ago) were of surprise. I was convinced within the first few pages that this would be one of my all time favorites.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie I've listened to people rave about this book for a few months but hadn't gotten around to starting it. When I saw that this group was going to read it, I saved it to read along. Maybe that was too much build up. I'm also right around page 100 and am not really feeling it. I like it just fine but find myself opting out to read a different book the majority of the time (MIddlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides). So far it hasn't grabbed me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!!

Morbus Iff (morbus-iff) | 3 comments I'm closing in on page 200 or so, and my first-100-page enthusiasm is lessening. I'm still liking things, but it's gone from "ZOMG WOOHOO" to "yep, OK." Taking its sweet time.

Anna I'm also about a hundred pages in and feeling decidedly lukewarm about this book. I really thought I'd like this book and I really want to like it but it's just not grabbed me so far. I shall plod on with it though and hope it grabs me somewhere along the way.

Parsa | 68 comments more than 150 pages in the book and really would like to know where this book would lead. trying to not to expect much but this one has taken me under its arm, for now

Pixelina Just about 25% into it but it is good, like a solid old fashioned gothic tale. I even got the chills down my spine in a few places.

Kimberly | 7 comments I've already read this book 2-3 times. My first impressions were: This is a book I will re-read over and over again. The whole book is like a beautiful song with soulful lyrics.

message 10: by M.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 309 comments Morbus wrote: "My first impression is: It's Great Expectations.

I'm up to page 100 or so (chapter 14). Perhaps I've been needlessly influenced by the critic reviews (which, yeah, I read), but ever since one of t..."

Do you find the styles the same? I've read Great Expectations but not The Shadow of the Wind.