SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Challenges > The Epic Challenge: January - March 2013

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crusader (last edited Apr 03, 2013 02:01AM) (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
Just to get all the challenges started.

The epic challenge is for 500+ page tomes - the epic novels we sometimes shy away from especially when trying to complete other reading challenges. You only need to read one 500+ page book in the 3-month period to complete the challenge, but you can read as many as you want and list them here, with the number of pages you've read.

To make things easier for me and to be sure I get the tally right at the end of the challenge, please use one post for planning and keeping track of your total page count, and be clear about how much you've read. You can post individual updates and chat about your books, as long as you have one post with all the info :)

Happy reading!

Claudia 4783
Barbara 2520
Jax 2443
Lu 2368
Varla Fiona 1678
Riana 1463
Crusader 1114
Rochelle 533

And the winner by a HUGE margin is Claudia! Congrats!

message 2: by Crusader (last edited Feb 01, 2013 02:19AM) (new)

Cryptonomicon: 1140

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Feb 17, 2013 11:54AM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Let the right one in by John Ajvide Lindqvist - 519
Divine by Mistake by P.C. Cast - 571
Cryptonomicon by neal Stephenson - 918
The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory - 512

total: 2520

message 4: by Lu (last edited Mar 13, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
1 - The Darkest Minds - 510 Pages
2 - Beautiful Creatures - 563 pages
3 - Lover Avenged - 719 pages
4 - The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe - 576 pages

Total: 2368

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith My spot! At first I thought I shouldn't even bother booking a spot, but then I remembered that I'll be reading Cryptonomicon this month :)

message 6: by Barbara (last edited Jan 01, 2013 11:03PM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Yeah! And Alison (and several other people) has it on her shelf so you can use it for the A-Z South African Book Lovers challenge too!

message 7: by Varla Fiona (last edited Mar 25, 2013 04:54AM) (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
Total: 1678 pages

The Darkest Minds - 510 pages
Illusion: A Novel - 576 pages
Xenocide - 592 pages

message 8: by Jax (last edited Mar 24, 2013 04:15PM) (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Next- Michael Crichton - 512pg
Beautiful Creatures-Kami Garcia - 563pg
Inheritance - Christopher Paolini -860pg
Beautiful Darkness -Kami Garcia - 508pg

Total: 2443 pages

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I have a question. I am reading The Darkest Minds. All the editions say 496 pages. But my e-book has 580, and this is on my ipad, so it is a very big screen. When I put it on the smallest font it is 515 pages.

My ipad with the smallest font is bigger than if I put and paperback copy next to it, because the screen is bigger. Does this makes sense?

So do I go with 496 or 515?

message 10: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "I have a question. I am reading The Darkest Minds. All the editions say 496 pages. But my e-book has 580, and this is on my ipad, so it is a very big screen. When I put it on the smallest font it i..."

Mine was 515 pages on my tablet as well so I ditto your question...

message 11: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments My Kindle edition says 499 pages on Amazon. Damn, so close. :(

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You can go with your tablet/iPad's page count, assuming that it doesn't include anything you won't be reading, like a glossary, index, blank pages, etc. I find that the Goodreads page counts are horribly inaccurate anyway - whenever I read print, I almost always have a different page count.

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Good to know :) I can hardly find a book I own that has big enough pages to match the iPad.

So i'll go with 515 :)

message 14: by Crusader (new)

For ebooks the general rule would be to stick to the equivalent pages of a paperback/mmpb edition of the book. That's due to differing apps showing different page sizes etc.

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
The problem is, it is an ARC and there are only 3 editions on goodreads.

message 16: by Crusader (new)

Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "The problem is, it is an ARC and there are only 3 editions on goodreads."

I think finding the paperback info from a retail site like Book Depository or Amazon would do, but of course if Lauren says it's acceptable to use the ebook pagecount I guess that's fine.

I've got a question of my own. I read the omnibus edition of the Hunger Games (ebook), but I've only read the last two since I finished the first one last year. Can I know use the combined pages for the two?

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I remember something about a omnibus, but can't remember what everyone decided :(

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith One of the other reasons I'm willing to accept Lu's eBook page count is that I've read eARCs in PDF that were basically mock-ups of the book (in the sense that the layout was ready for printing) or got the page numbers reproduced in my converted eBook and the page numbers still differed from Goodreads or the info I got from publishers. My guess is that ARCs often have different page counts.

Omnibuses... I can't remember what was said either, but I'm inclined to say no. That would make it ok for everyone to use a series where all the books are under 500 pages but the total is over. I don't see why having the books bound in one volume should make it eligible - they are still all separate novels.

This challenge is specifically designed for reading long books, and I would prefer to stick to that. The series challenge makes the most out of reading series, so you can still use the books for something.

message 19: by Crusader (last edited Jan 07, 2013 02:39AM) (new)

If it was a PDF then the page numbers shown in the ebook should more or less be the same as the printed verseion (PDF is basically an electronic version of the printed pages). For Kindle (.mobi) and ePub books the pages are calculated differently and don't necessarily translate to print.

ePub does have a fixed page size so changing font size doesn't change the number of pages BUT the number of pages change according to the reader software used.

message 20: by Riana (last edited Mar 23, 2013 02:57PM) (new)

Riana | 397 comments Les Misérables - 1463 pages

Total: 1463 pages

message 21: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie (annenella) | 11 comments Hullo - I am new in the bookclub and not quite sure how everything works yet but am enjoying all your comments. I started reading The Sky is Elsewhere today (my daughter had the book and am enjoying it so far).
I want to read the latest book of Janny Wurts Initiate's Trial which is more than 500 pages before end of March and hope I can finish it as her books are difficult reads!

message 22: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Welcome Annemarie!

message 23: by Sheetal (new)

Sheetal (sheetal7) | 14 comments Can I book a place?
Started reading Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5) by Terry Goodkind
Goodreads says 788 pages B&N says 800

message 24: by Claudia (last edited Mar 26, 2013 02:43AM) (new)

message 26: by Rochelle (last edited Feb 26, 2013 09:16AM) (new)

message 27: by Crusader (last edited Apr 03, 2013 02:16AM) (new)

If you haven't done so, everyone should update their lists and include the total number of pages read. I'll then post the complete list in the first post. Just let me know if any updates are required.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Gah! I totally forgot about this! And failed to read anything long enough... But yay, you've done the tally - thanks! Do you want to do the next quarter's too?

message 29: by Crusader (new)

Lauren wrote: "Gah! I totally forgot about this! And failed to read anything long enough... But yay, you've done the tally - thanks! Do you want to do the next quarter's too?"

I can if you don't want to.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith No, I don't mind, I'm just a bit slack :) Will go post the new thread now.

message 31: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Woo, I won. A celebration is in order!
*buys more tomes*
:)

message 32: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Nice Claudia! :)