Jane Austen discussion

The Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge 2013

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, Moderator & Ardent Janeite (new)

Megan | 724 comments Mod
Laurel Ann Nattress is doing a P&P challenge in honor of the 200th anniversary of the publishing of that incredible novel on her wonderful blog Austenprose. I'm in - anyone else?

http://austenprose.com/2012/12/31/the...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, now I know what I'll be doing for 2013- worshipping P&P! How that's different from any other year, I don't know, but this feels official. I signed up to read/watch/listen to all 12 selections! Thanks Megan!

message 3: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 1 comments I'm all for THIS!!! Excited to plan out my list.

message 4: by Faby (new)

Faby (fabyhernandez) | 39 comments wow...i need to make the list first :D

message 5: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments I have joined too... After reading the original book again and watching some adaptations, I might need some ideas to get up to 12. Any reading suggestions?

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange!

I am so going to do this but i can't commit myself official due to a number of reasons. But i shall be doing it!

I will reread the original, reread Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange, read the 200 years of pride and prejudice I purchased a little while ago, rewatch 1940 1980 1995 and 2005. And anything else I come across!

message 7: by Marren (new)

Marren Well I am rereading the novel right now. There are so many spinoffs, I will read those I can get my hands on and some time during the year I will revisit the adaptations. This will be my contribution :)

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I think I am going to particiapte in this as well. I started the New Year by watching the P&P from 2005 on New Years Day. I really need to get the BBC version at some point. I plan on reading P&P once I find a copy other then the one on my NOOK. I will probably read a few other adaptations and spin offs as well.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane | 6 comments Louise wrote: "I have joined too... After reading the original book again and watching some adaptations, I might need some ideas to get up to 12. Any reading suggestions?"

Louise, I am pretty sure re-reading and re-watching are allowed. :)

There are several links to lists in the comments. Here's my preliminary list.

Read:
1. Pride and Prejudice: An Annotated Edition (Patricia M. Spacks, ed.)
2. The Annotated Pride and Prejudice: A Revised and Expanded Edition (David M. Shapard, ed.)
3. The Friendly Jane Austen by N. Tyler
4. The Making of Pride and Prejudice by Susie Conklin & Sue Birtwistle
5. Who Betrays Elizabeth Bennett? by J. Sutherland (Just one chapter is about P&P, but it would be a great discussion. I totally disagree with Sutherland’s answer. Btw, this one is available on Ebsco books if you have access.)
6. So You Think You Know Jane Austen? by J. Sutherland
7. Jane Austen’s Letters by Deirdre Le Faye (This one will take a while…)
8. Jane Austen for Dummies by Joan Elizabeth Klingel Ray
9. Bridget Jones’s Diary by H. Fielding (I’ve seen the movie but never read the book.)

Watch:
10. Pride & Prejudice (2005) with Keira Knightley & Matthew Macfadyen
11. Pride and Prejudice (1995) with Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle
12. Pride and Prejudice documentary (2000) with Nora Ephron.

I also hope to read Shapard’s annotated versions of Emma (started today), Persuasion, and Sense & Sensibility this year.

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Has anyone read 'Falling for Mr Darcy'? I am always weary of sequels because of ruining the classic but this one looks really good!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 6 comments Austenland by Shannon Hale is only $1.99 for the kindle version at Amazon right now. I've never read it, so, for only $2, I grabbed it.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 44 comments Thanks, Megan - I just signed on. I'm planning on watching the Ehle-Firth and Knightley-Mcfadyen films again, and I'll probably listen to Karen Savage's reading of the book. For the rest ... I'd like to hit the "aficionada" level, but I'm really, really wary of the sequels.

Though I do have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies sitting around somewhere...

This should be fun.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments So am I!! I get worried to read them! I am going to read the One I mentioned Falling For Mr Darcy though :)

message 14: by Diane (last edited Jan 04, 2013 10:06AM) (new)

Diane | 6 comments Tracey wrote: I'm really, really wary of the sequels.

Me too. If it's a loosely-based parody (Clueless, Bridget Jones), I can appreciate it, but, if it pretends that it could have been written by Austen, I expect waaayyy too much and am invariably disappointed.

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 44 comments Exactly. And the ones that are basically "Lizzie and Darcy's Sex Life Revealed!" are ... not for me. There may be a lot of non-fiction in my list for the year. :) Thanks, Soph - I'll have to take a look at Falling for Mr. Darcy.

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I love Bridget's Jones Diary cause that is so loosely linked! Many of the sequels are just people's sexual fantasies about Darcy and Lizzie - no thanks!!

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 123 comments I'm doing it--Aficionada! This year will be great!

message 18: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laurelann) | 14 comments Megan wrote: "Laurel Ann Nattress is doing a P&P challenge in honor of the 200th anniversary of the publishing of that incredible novel on her wonderful blog Austenprose. I'm in - anyone else?

http://austenpros..."

Thanks Megan for posting my P&P challenge. I am pleased to see so much interest and hope that you all have a fabulous time reading Austen and her off shoots.

On an aside, many of the sequels are quite good, you just need recommendations which you can find on my blog Austenprose or here on Goodreads in the Jane Austen Sequels Group. Have fun!

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Sofarin | 27 comments I am going to do the aficionado level and will post my plan soon. Love all things Jane and those who adore P & P especially.

Karen

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I am going to do this. Just need to figure out what other then P&P I am going to be reading.

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I recommend... Mr Darcy's Diary (Amanda grange) and also Falling for Mr Darcy (KaraLynne Mackrory) :)

message 22: by Viki (new)

Viki Reminder! Sign ups are open until July 1, 2013!

message 23: by Mimi (last edited Jan 28, 2014 09:39AM) (new)

Mimi (juleseemimi) | 95 comments Well, 2013 is just over. But our beloved Pride and Prejudice was on the NPR Writer's Almanac today and this discussion thread seemed a good place for this link.

Listen to Garrison Keiller talk about JA and our P&P.

Click the "listen" button. You can scroll down for the text. January 28, 2014

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

message 24: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Mimi wrote: "Well, 2013 is just over. But our beloved Pride and Prejudice was on the NPR Writer's Almanac today and this discussion thread seemed a good place for this link.

Listen to Garrison Keiller talk ab..."

I just saw your comment, Mimi, and I loved the Mark Twain quote about beating Miss Austen over the head with her own shinbone. I loved it as in "What a goofball Mark Twain must have been!"

message 25: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 582 comments Karlyne wrote:
"I just saw your comment, Mimi, and I loved the Mark Twain quote about beating Miss Austen over the head with her own shinbone. I loved it as in "What a goofball Mark Twain must have been!" ."

I love that quote because it begins with "Every time..." LOL! Mark Twain liked to mess with people.

message 26: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum He was such an interesting man! We read his Santa letter to his daughter Susy every Christmas, and it always cracks me up!