The Humour Club discussion

Group Reads > Monthly Dose-O-Discworld - Reaper Man

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3518 comments Mod
DEATH - almost everyone's favorite character, is the star of this outing. Read it and reap.

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Pratchett on top form here again.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2422 comments Mod
Ooh! Gotta get it.

message 4: by Melki (new)

I spent some of my Xmas $$$ buying the next four in the series, so I'm set for a while.

message 5: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Did you get Soul Music?

If stranded on a desert island, that would be my second choice book ( after LOTR)

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Had to queue up for it.

message 7: by Melki (new)

No Soul Music yet. I think I stopped at number 15.

About 90 pages in, I really enjoyed this encounter between a wizard and a priest:

"So...how are things in the godbothering business?" said Ridcully.

"We do our humble best. How is the dangerous meddling with things man was not meant to understand?"

If only all encounters between the clergy and nonbelievers could be so civilized...

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments And between brothers.

message 9: by Melki (last edited Jan 09, 2013 10:14AM) (new)

I finished earlier today. Two things (among many) that I loved -
1)the Death of Rats also speaks in all caps - SQUEAK!
2)the story of how One-Man-Bucket got his name

message 10: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith | 686 comments Would you suggest buying this one? Remember I'm cheap, haven't bought a book in about ten years, and will be unemployed for the next three months with a new baby to feed.

message 11: by Melki (new)

Well...it's a good one, but probably not as important as formula and diapers.

I'd send you my copy, but both boys insist they want to read it someday.

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Bookworm, I've a spare paperback copy. PM me your address and it's yours.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Finished! Yet another personal favorite. There really is something about Death. . . or Bill Door.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Clemens (mpclemens) Ah, this one was really a great entry. Almost two whole books, interwoven. I'm off to write up my review now. Having read some of the later books, it was fun to see the origin stories of (view spoiler) Lots of great world-building here!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Anyone else reading and/or finished?

message 16: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Me, I've finished now.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

What'd you think?

I've known some guys like Bill Door--unclear on how to be fully human.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (mansonville) Melki wrote: "DEATH - almost everyone's favorite character, is the star of this outing. Read it and reap."

I think DEATH may be my favourite character of all time!

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (mansonville) Rebecca wrote: "Anyone else reading and/or finished?"

I started this one on my e-reader, but discovered that the copy I was given had some errors in it. So, I'm waiting for the library paperback. Looking forward to getting back into it. I was loving it so far.

message 20: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Death is so very human, isn't he?

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Will wrote: "Death is so very human, isn't he?"

I think that's part of why we all like him so. For DEATH to be human is (words fail me. Not sure what it is. Comforting? So absurd as to be heartwarming?).

Carol, I'm glad you are able to get a paper copy. Our library system didn't have a single one. I was lucky to be able to get the e-book from my Mom's library.

message 23: by Carol (last edited Jan 25, 2013 06:12PM) (new)

Carol (mansonville) Rebecca wrote: "Will wrote: "Death is so very human, isn't he?"

I think that's part of why we all like him so. For DEATH to be human is (words fail me. Not sure what it is. Comforting? So absurd as to be hear..."

Rebecca wrote: "Will wrote: "Death is so very human, isn't he?"

I think that's part of why we all like him so. For DEATH to be human is (words fail me. Not sure what it is. Comforting? So absurd as to be hear..."

Yes, I was very lucky to get a copy from the library. I have friends who own all of the Pratchett novels and lend me them. Unfortunately, they couldn't find this particular one in their vast library.

I'm re-reading the opening sections and LOVE the walking zombie (130 year old wizard). So sad when the trick off the old bridge doesn't work - or the stabbing.

I loved the line about how zombies are usually pretty angry people. Can't wait to find out what is going on with DEATH, and how he's spending in newly gained time!

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol (mansonville) Just love this book. Glad to see Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler reappearing. It think it's fantastic how Pratchett's characters appear and reappear, and then interact with characters we've known from other books. It's exciting to encounter like friends like CMOT and see them embarking on new adventures - or just appearing as little, funny cameos.

message 25: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments He's a role model for the rest of us in how to write a series, isn't he?

message 26: by Melki (new)

I agree. A revolving cast of characters is a great way to keep things fresh. And fans really enjoy when an old friend who's been missing for a while puts in an appearance.