Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > True Blood

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,616 (2616 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 52 53

message 1: by Summer (last edited Jan 05, 2008 09:18AM) (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments When is True Blood actually going to air? I've been following it on IMDB and supposedly it was set to start in 2007, but...?

(For those who don't know, they're making an HBO series called True Blood based on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. The creator is the same guy who did Six Feet Under, a great show.)

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I heard last week that production has stopped on that show because of the writer's strike. So until they put an end to that they can't say when the show will go on the air. Bummer, I know.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 24 comments May 2008! It posted on Charlaine's website last week I believe. Fans of the series should join my Sookie Stackhouse Book Club group for up-to-date info and fun convos.

message 4: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments I'm so glad they have a start date. Last I'd heard was supposed to be this month but of course the writer strike happened putting so many things on hold. Stinking strike. GRRRR.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do because I hate to pay for HBO just to get the one series. I suppose I could block the channel the rest of the time, but I hate to shell out the extra cash.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan1228) I can guarantee that as soon as the first season has aired, HBO will put it out on DVD. That's how I got ahold of the 2 seasons of "Dead Like Me".

message 6: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 454 comments The thing with waiting, is how long will have to wait and how will that affect renewal? DLM season 1 wasn't released till the start of season 2 on Showtime. So you'd have to wait a whole year to see it. Then of course Showtime dumped the show after season 2. Blah. They were moving away from their Science fiction thing at that point. Which is a shame because they did it so well. SG1 and Jeremiah and DLM were amazing. OK, that Odyssey 5 was a little...um...but the story itself was good.

With the cancelling of DLM, I called up Dish Network and dumped Showtime. And when they asked why, I let them know! It was nice not having to pay for a channel I pretty much never used. LOL I have never liked HBO and just don't know if I want to shell out 10 bucks a month or whatever for the channel. Wow, I should really go see how much it is. If the show is in iTunes, it might be cheaper to subscribe to it there... LOL

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 164 comments I'm pretty sure that True Blood starts this fall on HBO in the old Sapranos spot.(I think that was Thursday night...not sure.) That's what I remember from the Q&A before the Charlaine Harris book signing I went to in May. I was very amused to see an ad for the show in Entertainment Weekly that looked like a beer ad but was for a bottle for True Blood - Real Vampires drink True Blood or something like that. It's the Entertainment Weekly issue with Batman/the Joker on the front. For anyone who's a bit confused about this post, True Blood is the name of the synthetic blood in the Sookie Stackhouse series (by Charlaine Harris, also called the Southern Vampire series) that allows vampires to "come out of the closet" and integrate as citizens. HBO is making Sookie into a series - each season should cover one book. The name of the series will be True Blood, not Sookie Stackhouse.

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Hi All.

True Blood begins in September!!! Woot Woot!!! Super excited!!

http://www.hbo.com/events/trueblood/

message 9: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
Ooh, spiffy! My friend and I were just talking about this series the other day, wondering what had happened to it.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 24 comments YES! A date! Well another date, but finally!
I have to remember to get HBO soon.

message 11: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments I don't have cable, therefore no HBO. I will, however, live vicariously through you all when you discuss the show, LOL! Oh, and if it comes out on a 'series' DVD, let me know. I'll pick it up for sure. I did when The Dresden Files was put out on DVD, the one and only series. Sad... I thought it was great!

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Anita, thanks for mentioning that ad in Entertainment Weekly. Luckily, I am a little behind and hadn't read that one yet. I grabbed it off my desk and flipped through until I found the ad.

I love the bit at the bottom:
HBO Reminds Vampires To Drink Responsibly

Too funny!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

This show starts this Sunday. I am just starting the series but I can't wait to watch the show

message 14: by Natale (new)

Natale (NataleStenzel) | 32 comments I'll admit I haven't read the books, either, but I've been mourning Moonlight. Dh saw something online announcing True Blood and showed it to me, no doubt to console me*g*. I'll give it a try.

message 15: by TheGeekyBlogger (new)

TheGeekyBlogger Yeah on the sex scenes, HBO generally does those pretty graphically (Rome was a good example of this) and language (Deadwood good example of this) but they generally just become backdrop for the story. I am excited for the series to start and interested to see what Alan Ball is going to do with it. I never watched Six Feet Under (that was before I bought HBO) so I am not sure how quirky he is!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished reading book one last night! AMAZING! I am looking online right now for book two. I can't wait to watch this series. The books are great and I love the shows Moonlight and Blood Ties so hopefully I'll love this one.

message 17: by Lori (last edited Sep 03, 2008 01:55PM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Have you guys watched the trailer on the HBO site? Wow, this show looks like it's going to ROCK. I have to get HBO now. Crap!

What do you think of the actors they picked? I pictured them all a little more attractive. Sookie is really cute but I'm not sure about Bill and Eric.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

did anyone else notice the guy who plays eric isn't even in the casting list? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844441/f...

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Yep, I noticed that too. I guess he's not going to have a very big role in the first season.

I can't get over how unattractive I find the Bill character. Maybe it's just the photo. The actor who plays Sam is really cute though.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I bought this series a while back, but just started the first book yesterday. Its great so far, and I should have it finished before the first episode airs. That should at leasst buy me time until the second season starts. I'm enjoying the dry southern humor.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

first season should be based on the first book right? that's the only one i have read so far and i don't have book 2 ta' start... i don't want to watch the series if it is going to ruin the books...

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Soooo...what did everyone think? I really enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty true to the book aside from rearranging some of the events and introducing Tara early. She is also very different in the show then she is in the books.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I have only read book one so I had no clue who Tara was but other than that I think it stayed pretty true to the book. I loved it, I even got my hubby to watch it with me

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) I LOVED it! I know its not exactly like the book, however I love the director Alan Ball, who did six feet under, and American Beauty and it definitely has his trademark "darkness" to it! I cant wait to see what happens. I actually liked Anna Pacquin a lot more than I thought I would as Sookie. I also think that Bill will get more attractive as the show goes on...

H

Julie (jjmachshev) (jjmachshev) | 11 comments I missed it and I'm so pissed! Had to take hubby to the airport (he's gonna be gone 7 weeks).
J

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) Oh JJ- its gonna replay about 50 million times! Hell... its probably on right now! ;)

H

message 27: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I liked it. It might take a few more watchs to hook me but I did enjoy it and thought it stayed true to the book. I even recalled some of the early convo after Sookie saves Bill.

message 28: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 17 comments I haven't read a single Sookie book, but I really enjoyed Trueblood. I'm also a big Alan Ball fan. My husband watched, too, and even debated with me on who's better looking: Bill (my vote) or the bar owner! [yup, we're weird like that] Now is you ask me about Bill and Sookie's brother, that's another story :) The show has definitely moved up the book on my TBR shelf.

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) Mahlet- I am a big fan of Alan Ball as well! ;) I really enjoy television or movies that are dark and quirky. I think you would enjoy the Sookie books, although Im sure as the show goes on it might vary from the path of the book a bit. Who knows? The books are funny, sexy and entertaining. Read the first one, you'll be hooked! ;)

xo
H

message 30: by Tricia (last edited Sep 09, 2008 08:10AM) (new)

Tricia | 39 comments Based on the previews I was like Oh no... shaking my head, cringing...thinking they're going to totally screw it up.
So I'm watching it, and it gets to the part where they're at that little store in the beginning, where the vamp and his ha ha Fangs popped out,and I almost shut it off. WTF was that? LOL Switch blade fangs?

I'm like YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

But the rest of the show redeemed itself. I liked it.

What do you mean Bill isn't hot? Have you actually LOOKED at the man?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah i have looked at the man, not cute at all. i thought he would be hot, at least hotter than Sam.
and for those of you wondering True Blood is on again today 11:30-12:30 and wed and thurs and fri if you need times for the other showings let me know i can just look on my box for ya'

message 32: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I just watched it and I wouldn't say it was terrible, but it wasn't great either. It has a lot of room for improvement.

Tricia, the "switchblade fangs" were horrible. I seriously hope they figure out something better to do with the fangs.

Didn't care for Bill... I don't know if the director told the actor to play him that way or if the actor choose to do it himself, but he was kind of corny. All broody and fake sexy. And, he's not attractive.

Jason was a disappointment... I was expecting someone a lot more attractive.

We haven't had HBO in years so I had forgotten how they don't have to play by the same rules as cable. Not so much the language, but the nudity. I blushed at that first scene with Jason and Maudette and I'm no prude. :)

Sam... HOT! Rowr! Can I have some of that?

Loved Gram.

And, lastly, Sookie. Well, she isn't what I've imagined. Hopefully Anna Paquin will become more comfortable in the role. She seemed a little fakey.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I thought it was good. Having just finished the first book in the series, they followed the story pretty closely. Other than the random intro at the Grabitquik...

Did someone say that Tara shows up in later books? What an annoying and stereotypical character. I thought they just threw her in there for no reason, and that she added nothing to the show. I could do without her character entirely.

Anna Paquin was good; better than I thought she'd be actually.

Some of us have some very different taste in men. LOL! I thought Bill was super sexy, as was Jason. Sam is cute, but like someone's little brother, or the boy next door. He totally does not stack up against Bill though. At least not for me. What was with having the "dog" show up so early? Didn't show up until towards the end of the first book.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 10 comments I just watched the first episode last night... reminded me a bit of twilight... i agree with the fangs and were they a little closer together then most vampire movies??? it looked too fake (i know they dont exist i'm just saying lol)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh see I thought Sam was YUMMY where as Jason and Bill not so much. I thought that this series started out okay but so far it hasn't hooked me like Blood Ties or Moonlight did...

message 36: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I think Sam is cute and so is Jason but I'm surprised at how attractive Bill is to me. I want to hate him. LOL.

Bring on Eric!

message 37: by Penny (new)

Penny | 12 comments Ranata I always pictured him as not really good looking and I thought the actor was way better looking than I pictured so I'm with you on that.

message 38: by Natale (new)

Natale (NataleStenzel) | 32 comments Aaarrrrggghhh! I missed it! And I've been hiding in a cave all week, didn't know it would be run again. Heroes starts Sept. 22, right? Can't miss another first . . .

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Yep, Heroes starts the 22nd. Can't wait!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

True Blook episode one is on again on Saturday from 12-1am or 10-11pm. and then again on Sunday from 4-5pm

message 41: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I've always thought of Sam as a funny looking red headed guy, LOL. On the show, he's a huge difference than my imagination!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I pictured Sam kinda chunky. Not FAT or anything just a little big bigger than the guy they played him. If Sam was as hot in the book as he is in the show I would have gotten with him instead of anyone if I were Sookie

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I pictured him as a stockier, strawberry blond too. I wonder if they'll have an Elvis impersonator play Bubba? Wouldn't that be a hoot!

message 44: by Natale (new)

Natale (NataleStenzel) | 32 comments Thanks, Samantha!

message 45: by K (new)

K I really enjoyed it - although its a bit darker than I imagined.

I imagined Bill to look less evil, although he grew on me.

Jason is a fellow Australian, which I am quite thrilled about.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

No Problem. Hey I was at a party last night and I talked everyone into turning True Blood on... now all the guys (not the wives) said they want to watch the show tonight lol

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather (fantasy_mom) | 28 comments I missed the first episode, but searched for it on Comcast and set the DVR to record all new and repeat episodes.... I think they re-aired the premiere in the wee hours of the morning this past weekend, so I should be able to watch it soon and then get rolling into the series :D

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I like the quiet intensity of Bill. Its pretty sexy. They've followed the book fairly closely so far, with a few notable exceptions. Tara still gets on my last nerve.

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I just read a little blub about the fact that the writer had to change the story some or Anna, who plays Sookie, would be in every scene and she'd burn out. So I think that's why they are going to flesh out some of the secondary characters to give Anna some time off now and then.

I'm really enjoying the show. I think it's a little cheesy now and then but the books are too so it works.

Sometimes I find Bill attractive and other times I don't. I do think he is very true to the books though. He's never described as really good looking and he is older so I think the actor was a good choice. I can't wait to see Eric though. Yummy!!!

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) I really LOVED last nights episode. I did think Bill was sexy last night, and I agree, he's not always sexy. Sookie's brother Jason is very cute, but going to get on my nerves... I had forgotten how prejudiced against vampires he was! Its been a while since I read the first book ;)

I also dont really dig the fangs sorta "popping" out like a switchblade... wish they were where our canines are, and wish they would sort of "glide" out... Oh well....

H

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 52 53