UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2013-15 > January 2013 Genre Challenge: Historical

Comments Showing 1-50 of 265 (265 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Historical has won the poll for our first genre challenge of the year, please feel free to join the discussion and post your suggestions, ideas and thoughts here...

Fiction or factual the choice is yours...

This is one of my favourite genres and I'm going to read A Dragon to Agincourt by J. Malcolm Pryce A Dragon to Agincourt by J. Malcolm Pryce this month.

message 2: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
I'm already reading Saigon by Anthony Grey which is set in Vietnam from 1923 up to and including the US war. Seems to be a family saga a bit like the James Clavell Shogun series in style. Will also be reading the The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller , so going back into ancient history for that one.

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments I'm going to go with the book I'm currently reading Drood set in the 1860's it follows the last 5 years of Dicken's life

message 5: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
How handy, especially as I've just started The Song of Achilles. Off to Ancient Greece, see you there, Ian :)
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 389 comments Going to read Hilary Mantle's Wolf Hall, Wolf Hall (Wolf Hall, #1) by Hilary Mantel .

message 7: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 265 comments That looks interesting. I Might check that out as well.

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4234 comments Have a few on my tbr: The Snow Child, The 19th Wife, City of Thieves

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise I'm starting Les Miserables for another book group so I think I can double that up for this challenge (am going to struggle to fit in much else in January, looking at the page count!)

Les Miserables (Vintage Classics) by Victor Hugo

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2703 comments I like this new format. Not sure what I plan to read yet, still have to finish off a couple of books I'm currently reading.

message 12: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Les Miserables is massive, I'd have to agree that's probably the whole of January accounted for!

Bring up the Bodies was one of favourites of 2012, I think Hillary Mantel is writing (or has written) a third and final book. I'm looking forward to reading that.

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel (mehy) | 15 comments This is a new one for me. I have no idea what I am going to read. It's the first challenge and already I'm out of my comfort zone. Research time ...

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Taylor | 9 comments I'm the same it's my first challenge and I've no idea what to read

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise Em wrote: "Les Miserables is massive, I'd have to agree that's probably the whole of January accounted for! "

Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicioun I might run into February.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Reading Feet in Chainswhich is set in the slate mining district of N Wales between the wars. It has been translated from Welsh. Hopefully can double up in the UK challenge - if I can work out in which county it takes place. May well join you in Greece later with The Song of Achilles if I get time. Nice lead in genre for me!

message 17: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I think I will do Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire...though I am already into The Lambs of London

message 18: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I have a couple of books to finish, but I think I will read The Red Tent

message 19: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Liz wrote: "How handy, especially as I've just started The Song of Achilles. Off to Ancient Greece, see you there, Ian :)
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller"

I'd like to read it too and am hoping it fits into another genre later on !

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments I managed to finish book 62 last night so originally planned a quick crime, however in view of the category and fact I can't access the library today I've gone to my TBR pile. I started several years ago the Patrick O'Brian series read books 1&2 bought book 3 but never started it so here goes 1st book of the year H.M.S. 'Surprise' (Aubrey/Maturin, #3) by Patrick O'Brian Then I'll go to library to try and find some others to combine with A-Z or around the world. I fancy some Bernard Cornwell or George Macdonald Fraser.

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise Nikks wrote: "Liz wrote: "How handy, especially as I've just started The Song of Achilles. Off to Ancient Greece, see you there, Ian :)
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller"

I'd like to read it too and am ..."

Without having read it (it's on my reading list) I think it could probably be used for War, Romance, LGBT, and Fantasy. So lots of chances to pick it up as part of the challenge!

message 22: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Phew .... lol Thanks Louise.
I have a large tbr pile and was hoping to work my way through that before I had to acquire more.

message 23: by DenXXX (new)

DenXXX (dencross) | 106 comments Not sure when I will be able to get to library as librarian off ill and her cover is a bit random - so going to be looking on my bookshelves for something to read. I probably have a lot of choice as I brought loads last year and didn't have the time to read even a quarter of them. But off the top of my head I can't think of anything there.

message 24: by June (last edited Jan 01, 2013 11:52AM) (new)

June (zeineb) think I'll start with this..historical mystery..or history-mystery as we call it in our house..

The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco

message 25: by Dave (new)

Dave Evans (grmpymnky) | 28 comments Had this on my kindle for a bit and think it fits...

The Company of the Dead by David Kowalski

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenmm) | 122 comments I just happen to be reading a Christmas pressie which fits. Historical murder mystery, Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4) by Imogen Robertson . Not much left, so will probably dig through the shelves & Kindles to find another once I've finished. My other half is quite a history fan so will have no shortage of options.

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 728 comments I started The Gallows Curse by Karen Maitland ages ago, but am struggling to concentrate at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it and read another of my many historical novels during the month.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris The Story Reading Ape (chrisgr) Looks like The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley for me, only hope my knees can take the weight!

message 29: by Joan (new)

Joan I think I'll try The Way We Live Nowas it's been on my kindle for some time.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna | 42 comments I have a couple that I think should fit the bill nicely Winter in Madrid and The English Monster

message 31: by June (new)

June (zeineb) Donna wrote: "I have a couple that I think should fit the bill nicely Winter in Madrid and The English Monster"
I've read them both and think you're in for a treat.

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna | 42 comments June wrote: "Donna wrote: "I have a couple that I think should fit the bill nicely Winter in Madrid and The English Monster"
I've read them both and think you're in for a treat."

Ooh makes me even more eager to get started!

message 33: by Anne (new)

Anne (seattleanne) One of my favoriate historical fiction books is Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill if anyone is looking for a suggestion. Thanks for some of these suggestions, I need to get on with deciding what to read!

message 34: by Nikks (last edited Jan 02, 2013 09:18AM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I enjoyed that book too Anne, although it was published under a different name here in canada.

I changed my kind about the book I'm reading for January, it's going to be The Girl at the Lion d'Or - then I will have completed Sebastian Faulks' French trilogy :-)

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 728 comments Donna wrote: "I have a couple that I think should fit the bill nicely Winter in Madrid and The English Monster"

I loved Winter in Madrid when I read it a couple of years ago. Hope you enjoy it:)

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 389 comments Helen wrote: "Have a few on my tbr: The Snow Child, The 19th Wife, City of Thieves"

Helen, I loved the Snow Child, one of my favourites of last year

message 37: by Nick (new)

Nick | 42 comments This is my first ever challenge and I think I will be reading Richard Bolitho - midshipman by Alexander Kent.

message 38: by DenXXX (new)

DenXXX (dencross) | 106 comments Found an historical mystery 'The Winter Queen' by Boris Akunin set in Moscow in 1876.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan I'm going to start off the new Challenge with The Colour by Rose Tremain

message 40: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Absolutely love that one Susan - got me reading her novels. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Den- that one you found looks really interesting - have ordered it from the library :)

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan That's great to hear Sue....the only other of her books I've read is Music and Silence which I really loved.

message 42: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 728 comments Have sorted out Dark Fire (Matthew Shardlake, #2) by C.J. Sansom to start off the year. I've read the first in the series; it's about time I carried on!

message 43: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Nick wrote: "This is my first ever challenge and I think I will be reading Richard Bolitho - midshipman by Alexander Kent."

that is a great series to read Nick

message 44: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Birt (gemmaloubirt) | 65 comments Angela wrote: "Have sorted out Dark Fire (Matthew Shardlake, #2) by C.J. Sansom to start off the year. I've read the first in the series; it's about time I carried on!"

Love the Shardlake series, hope you enjoy it!

message 45: by Sarah (last edited Jan 02, 2013 11:06AM) (new)

Sarah Taylor | 9 comments I think I might copy all you who are reading Winter in Madrid. It certainly sounds very interesting! It definitely helps that it's currently reduced to 20p for Kindle download.

message 46: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Birt (gemmaloubirt) | 65 comments I'm going to go for Regeneration by Pat Barker - I studied it when I was at school so it will be interesting to pick it up again :)

message 47: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I think I'll also read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain The Paris Wife by Paula McLain - it's just caught my eye and I'm quite in the mood for 1920's!

message 48: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Em wrote: "I think I'll also read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain The Paris Wife by Paula McLain - it's just caught my eye and I'm quite in the mood for 1920's!"

I enjoyed it.

message 49: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Dave wrote: "Had this on my kindle for a bit and think it fits...

The Company of the Dead by David Kowalski"

That's been on my to buy pile for ages - let me know if its any good Dave

message 50: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 389 comments Angela wrote: "Have sorted out Dark Fire (Matthew Shardlake, #2) by C.J. Sansom to start off the year. I've read the first in the series; it's about time I carried on!"

Great choice, I keep meaning to get back to this series. I've picked Wolf Hall now, but if I get chance, I'll read this one to.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6