Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

2013 Harlequin Presents Reading > Danielle's 2013 Harlequin Presents Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
I hope to read 40 Harlequin Presents books this year. I'll list the books I read and a brief phrase with my thoughts, as well as a rating and date read.

message 2: by Alexis-Morgan (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 97 comments I can't wait to get back into reading and posting. Just reading is NOT as satisfying as it used to be.

I have set aside time each week for posting...it's even in my calendar. :-)

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Yes, the recordkeeping does get tedious. I hope you have a good reading year, Alexis-Morgan!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

good luck on your challenge.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks, Mary! You too!

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Jan 24, 2013 12:16PM) (new)

1. Dearest Traitor by Patricia Wilson. 1/13. Picked this up as a rec from Lulu. The last ten pages cinched the book for me (4 stars). This is my first book for the theme challenge--possessive hero.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

2. Surrendering All But Her Heart by Melanie Milburne. 1/24. Wow! The heroine was very troubled in this book. This book really sucked me in. (4.5 stars). #2 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--blackmail marriage.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Jan 28, 2013 08:23PM) (new)

3. A Spanish Birthright by Cathy Williams. 1/24. I thought this was a pretty good book. I think the portrayal of parenthood felt true to life, and I liked the complexity of the characters. (3.5 stars)

4. Claiming His Wedding Night by Lee Wilkinson. 1/25. The writing was very visual, which I liked, and I loved the hero. I wasn't as enamored with Perdita and the decisions she made. (3.5 stars) #3 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--blackmail marriage.

5. Bought For The Marriage Bed by Melanie Milburne. 1/26. I ended up staying up way too late reading this one. I was sucked in. I really liked the heroine and the hero was a good guy. After two good books by this author in a row, I am warming up to her writing. (4 stars). #3 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--virgin heroine.

6. To Love, Honor and Betray by Jennie Lucas. 1/26. Oh, drama! I found the descriptions very effective, and I give her props for not being afraid to go there with this story. There were some aspects I couldn't quite figure out, and I didn't like something that happens towards the end. (4 stars). #4 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--possessive hero (he was actually way possessive--stalkerific hero level

I enjoyed my HP Weekend Binge enormously!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

7.Ruthless Magnate, Convenient Wife (Pregnant Brides, #2) by Lynne Graham. 3/8. I enjoyed this book immensely! I guess I was in the mood. Normally I don't get too gaga over HP heroes, but Sergei, I could eat him with a cherry on top. I also really liked Alissa. She was sweet. I liked that Sergei was close with his grandmother. Ah! Definitely a new favorite by LG. (5 stars). #5 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--virgin heroine.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

8.A Willing Surrender by Robyn Donald. 4/5. This was an intense book. I liked that about it. There were certain aspects I couldn't reconcile myself to, so that affected my rating. But it's good if you like a stalkerific hero. (4 stars) #6 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--possessive/jealous hero.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I am getting behind on my HP reading. I need to kick myself in the pants!

message 12: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
No need to kick self in pants, Lady D! Ooh, I think you'll love Dark Illusion for your jealous/possessive/madly obsessed category. Well, ok, "madly obsessed" is not your description, but it fits this hero. This is I think my favorite by Patricia Wilson so far.

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I love madly obsessed. Works for me. I'll check out Dark Illusion. Thanks, Lulu! :)

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Jun 19, 2013 12:29PM) (new)

9. Passionate Enemy by Patricia Wilson. 5/11. The hero reminded me of those boys in school who pick on the girls they like. (4 stars) #7 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--virgin heroine.

10. Deadly Angel by Sarah Holland. 6/8. I found the hero to be a huge bully and I was uncomfortable with the stereotyping of Sicilians as violent thugs. I did like how dramatic it was though. (3.5 stars) #8 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--stalkerific hero.

11. Mistress At A Price by Sara Craven. 6/8. This is more of a no-strings affair turns to love book, which isn't my favorite theme. It was pretty good though. (3.5 stars)

12. A Honeyed Seduction by Diana Hamilton. 6/10. I really liked the heroine in this book and it was a good read, plus I love the pretend engagement theme. (4 stars) #9 for HP Pick Your Theme Challenge--virgin heroine.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I'm not doing so great on my 40 in 2013. Better put the pedal to the meddle.

message 16: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Duncha worry, D. U still have > 6 months. Nevah give up, nevah surrender !

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thank you, my friend! *High Five*

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) Don't worry, Danielle! I'm not doing so well myself. I'm spending a lot of time on my new hobby (sewing and quilting) or reading non-Harlequin romances.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I've been painting a lot lately, so I know what you mean, Kate.

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

That's so fun to discover a new hobby, although they can be very distracting from reading!

message 21: by Giulia (new)

Giulia | 24 comments Love this thread. You are brilliant Danielle!

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

*blushes* Thanks, Giulia!

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle's 2013 Harlequin Presents Bingo Challenge

Update: 7/22/13
Level: I--All in!
Completed: 2/20-35

1. Hero Pursues Reluctant Heroine:
Escape Me Never by Sara Craven 7/20
2. Plain Jane or Girl Next Door Heroine: One and Only by Carole Mortimer 7/21

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

13. Escape Me Never by Sara Craven. 7/20. (3.5 stars). Pretty good, but not the best by this author. I don't think I was in the mood for it, honestly.

14. One and Only by Carole Mortimer. 7/21. (4 stars). Really liked this book. I think it had a good flavor, and a heroine that was a lot like an everyday woman. I liked the hero a lot too.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Aug 16, 2013 11:02PM) (new)

15. A Summer Storm by Robyn Donald 8/10 (4 stars). A different kind of heroine--awkward with self-esteem issues, and a determined hero.
16. The Most Coveted Prize by Penny Jordan 8/10 (3.5 stars) There was too much inequality btw the H and h. Felt like he was a puppy-kicker. Plus Jordan went overboard with the Russian metaphors.
17. The Italian's Future Bride by Michelle Reid 8/10 (4 stars) This was very unpredictable for a book that is so stereotypical HP. I like that about it.
18. The Power of Vasilii by Penny Jordan 8/11. (4 stars) The hero was so buttoned up, it was sexy. Really liked the heroine. Good one!
19. A Man to Marry by Carole Mortimer 8/10 (3 stars) Pretty unexciting for a CM book. Just okay.
20. Bedded And Wedded For Revenge by Melanie Milburne 8/9 (4.5 stars) The heroine and her depth made this book for me. A bad girl past that is changed by life into a very strong, principled woman.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Jan 02, 2014 04:24PM) (new)

21. Games for Sophisticates by Diana Hamilton 9/18. (3.5 stars) This was enjoyable, yet I didn't feel engaged in the story that much. I liked Quilla's platonic friendship with her business partner.

22. The Twelve Nights of Christmas by Sarah Morgan (4 stars). What a fun Christmastime HP. The heroine had the sense of hope and joy that really works for this kind of story and for a Christmastime romance.

23. Imprisoned by a Vow by Annie West 12/20. (4 stars). Good writing as always and a fantastic heroine. Hero didn't live up to AW's standards or mine, IMO.
24. The Virgin Secretary's Impossible Boss by Carole Mortimer 12/26. Pretty good, but not great. (3.5 stars) I didn't feel that much tension in the dynamic b/w the hero and heroine like I would like.
25. Joined By Marriage by Carole Mortimer. (3.5 stars) 12/30. There was a lot going on in this book, which almost made it a four star book, but not enough relationship zing for me.

I crashed and burned on my HP challenge this year. Oh well. Maybe next year.