Bookworm Buddies discussion

Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)
This topic is about Winter of the World
Buddy Reads > Winter of the World

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer This is for discussing the second book of Ken Follett's Fall of Giants trilogy. We'll begin discussing this book in a few weeks time to give people a chance to finish the first book Fall of Giants.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Have you started this yet, Zara?

message 3: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Chuck wrote: "Have you started this yet, Zara?"

I have started this but I'm still in the first chapter. It's interesting and a most enjoyable so far.

message 4: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Chuck wrote: "Then I'll go ahead and start it, too. I was kind of waiting on Veronica and whoever else wanted to join but apparently no one is and she's decided to pull out (which seems to be becoming fashionabl..."

OK. That's fine with me.

I look forward to the discussion.

By the way, how long do you think it will take you to read this book?

Chuck (GeneralTHC) I can read the whole thing in a week, in a pinch. I'm flexible, though. We can go by whatever time frame you want.

message 6: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Chuck wrote: "I can read the whole thing in a week, in a pinch. I'm flexible, though. We can go by whatever time frame you want."

It may take me a couple of weeks due to its sheer size.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Zara wrote: "Chuck wrote: "I can read the whole thing in a week, in a pinch. I'm flexible, though. We can go by whatever time frame you want."

It may take me a couple of weeks due to its sheer size."

That's cool with me. As a matter of fact, that's perfect.

message 8: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Chuck wrote: "Zara wrote: "Chuck wrote: "I can read the whole thing in a week, in a pinch. I'm flexible, though. We can go by whatever time frame you want."

It may take me a couple of weeks due to its sheer siz..."

Excellent.

Courtney | 233 comments I was going to join in, but I'm still working on Dune. I'll maybe catch up later.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) That would be great, Courtney. We just started. Hey, I was looking to see if you had read "Fall of Giants" and I noticed how similar the ratings we have given to books are. Amazing! And the few that are different, I was recently thinking I should have rated higher in retrospect (The Dark Tower Series).

Courtney | 233 comments Clearly we have great taste ;)

I read Fall of Giants right after it was released. I'm a huge fan of The Pillars of the Earth and its sequel World Without End, so when I heard Follett had written another historical fiction novel, I was all over it. I remember finishing it and looking online to see when the next installment was going to be released, and my heart sank when I saw I had two years to wait.

message 12: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Courtney wrote: "Clearly we have great taste ;)

I read Fall of Giants right after it was released. I'm a huge fan of The Pillars of the Earth and its sequel World Without End, so when I heard Follett had written a..."

Hi Courtney. Welcome. I plan on reading

The Pillars of the Earth (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) by Ken Follett The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) by Ken Follett World Without End after finishing this book. I love how Ken Follett writes.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Zara wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Clearly we have great taste ;)

I read Fall of Giants right after it was released. I'm a huge fan of The Pillars of the Earth and its sequel World Without End, so when I heard Foll..."

Yeah. I plan on reading them too. I already have them. My version of "World Without End" is 1534 pages!

message 14: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments I agree, The Pillars of The Earth is fantastic!

Chuck (GeneralTHC) I just can't imagine how bad it would have been living in Germany after the war. People running out and spending their money as fast as they can make it because it may not be worth anything by the end of the day! Unbelievable.

message 16: by Veronica (last edited Jan 04, 2013 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 2596 comments Chuck wrote: "Then I'll go ahead and start it, too. I was kind of waiting on Veronica and whoever else wanted to join but apparently no one is and she's decided to pull out (which seems to be becoming fashionabl..."

Yes, please don't wait on me. I usually do not pull out. In fact this is the first time.But just needed to read some of the books that's been lingering on my Nook. I will be reading Falls of Giants this month.

message 17: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Chuck wrote: "I just can't imagine how bad it would have been living in Germany after the war. People running out and spending their money as fast as they can make it because it may not be worth anything by the ..."

I particularly found that aspect fascinating. I remember learning about hyperinflation - what this situation was called - at high school but to have it written from the perspective of a family trying to survive, whether they be fictional characters or otherwise was extremely interesting.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 2596 comments Dustin wrote: "I agree, The Pillars of The Earth is fantastic!"

That was a good one

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Check it out! Video of Ken Follet discussing "Winter of the World" on CSPAN's Book TV: http://www.booktv.org/Program/13808/W...

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 2596 comments Chuck wrote: "Zara wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Clearly we have great taste ;)

I read Fall of Giants right after it was released. I'm a huge fan of The Pillars of the Earth and its sequel World Without End, so when..."

I read these two you will enjoy. Another I think everyone will enjoy is
A Dangerous Fortune

Chuck (GeneralTHC) I don’t think I can say it enough: Follet is an amazing author. He makes learning about how Hitler came to power, and I reckon all the major political events of the twentieth century SO interesting. It’s awesome. Suddenly I feel like a history major. This is what reading is supposed to do for you!

message 22: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Chuck wrote: "I don’t think I can say it enough: Follet is an amazing author. He makes learning about how Hitler came to power, and I reckon all the major political events of the twentieth century SO interesting..."

Well said Chuck. I couldn't agree more. I've been really enjoying his books so far.

message 23: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Veronica wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I agree, The Pillars of The Earth is fantastic!"

That was a good one"

Why, thank you for saying so, Veronica!

Courtney | 233 comments Just started this last night!

message 25: by Chuck (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Courtney wrote: "Just started this last night!"

All right! I really enjoyed the way it starts out in Germany or rather the story in that part of the book. But I kind of wish there wouldn't have been such a jump in time. I mean, a large part of the first book took place in just a couple of years it seemed like. Anyhow, I think I like Lloyd the best so far. Happy reading!

BTW, I'm almost at Part Two A SEASON OF BLOOD.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 2596 comments Dustin wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I agree, The Pillars of The Earth is fantastic!"

That was a good one"

Why, thank you for saying so, Veronica!"

Hmmm. Welcome

message 27: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Veronica wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I agree, The Pillars of The Earth is fantastic!"

That was a good one"

Why, thank you for saying so, Veronica!"

Hmmm. Welcome"

:) Anytime.

Courtney | 233 comments I'm loving it so far! The beginning scenes in Germany were powerful and terrifying. And OMG the scene with (view spoiler)

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Courtney wrote: "I'm loving it so far! The beginning scenes in Germany were powerful and terrifying. And OMG the scene with [spoilers removed]"

That was brutal!

Courtney | 233 comments I just started Part Two last night. Lloyd's my favourite character too, although (don't click if you haven't read up to Part Two)(view spoiler)

I love this book. It's interesting, because we know what's going to happen, but we get to experience it through these characters who almost feel like friends.

Courtney | 233 comments Ok, liking Daisy Peshkov a little more now!

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Courtney wrote: "I can't wait to find out what happens when Lloyd and Boy discover "

I can't remember who's the oldest, can you? I totally knew that (view spoiler)

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Courtney wrote: "Ok, liking Daisy Peshkov a little more now!"

Me too. :)

message 34: by Chuck (last edited Jan 14, 2013 05:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Here is an animated map of WW2:

http://c3.ort.org.il/Apps/WW/page.asp...

Courtney | 233 comments Chuck wrote: "Courtney wrote: "I can't wait to find out what happens when Lloyd and Boy discover "

I can't remember who's the oldest, can you? I totally knew that [spoilers removed]"

I can't remember either. And I totally saw that coming too.

message 36: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer I'm still in chapter one. Where is everyone else in the book? I've been reading lots of other books as well for other challenges.

Courtney | 233 comments I finished a couple of weeks ago. I loved it.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 2596 comments Is it better than Fall of Giants?

message 39: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Courtney wrote: "I finished a couple of weeks ago. I loved it."

I think perhaps I should get some serious reading done then.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) I'm on ch.10 (Part Two: A SEASON OF BLOOD.)

I've been really taking my time with this one since I'm reading other things and the third one isn't even out yet--there's really been no hurry. With that said though, I plan on getting a lot of reading done this weekend. I'm tired of having so many books going at once.

message 41: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS ~ reader/reviewer Chuck wrote: "I'm on ch.10 (Part Two: A SEASON OF BLOOD.)

I've been really taking my time with this one since I'm reading other things and the third one isn't even out yet--there's really been no hurry. With t..."

I'm a bit the same Chuck re the having so many books on the go at once. The problem I have is that there are so many good/great books coming out at the moment I can't make up my mind which to borrow and which not to so I end up borrowing them all!! LOL

Terri Jacobson (TLJJ53) I stayed up all night to finish this book and I thought it was terrific! I liked it much more than Fall of Giants. Looking forward to book 3.

Courtney | 233 comments Courtney wrote: "I finished a couple of weeks ago. I loved it."

I don't know if it was better, but Follett was way more ruthless with his characters in this one. I loved them both, but this one was much darker (obviously, consider the time period).

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Terri wrote: "I stayed up all night to finish this book and I thought it was terrific! I liked it much more than Fall of Giants. Looking forward to book 3."

Awesome! I imagine I'll be doing the same thing tonight.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) I am glad that Woodie (view spoiler)

Chuck (GeneralTHC) That whole scene with Maude teaching the Nazi piano was good stuff.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) "So here’s to Georgy." Way to go, Lev.

Chuck (GeneralTHC) It was really good. I just felt the last of it was rushed.

Courtney | 233 comments Now we just have to patiently wait two years for the next installment!

Chuck (GeneralTHC) Courtney wrote: "Now we just have to patiently wait two years for the next installment!"

Yeah. That sucks.

It seems there should be more than 3 books.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Pillars of the Earth (other topics)
World Without End (other topics)
A Dangerous Fortune (other topics)