Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

Amanda's 50

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments Here we go!

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (1) January 1st
Watchmen by Alan Moore
I loved this! I am not a huge graphic novel fan/reader. I did read "The Sandman" a while back and enjoyed it, so I decided to add a new genre to my list. The artwork was fantastic, the writing was decent, the story a little flat, but entertaining regardless. Four stars from me!

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:29PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (2) January 9th
Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie
I ended up rating this book two stars (and I know that there are some people that will have a meltdown over that). Even if it is groundbreaking, it is still shallow with no character depth, a way too clearly laid out story, and cheesy writing. Maybe her others stories are better, but this one in particular just wasn't for me.

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (3) January 13th
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
** spoiler alert ** I really, really enjoyed this book. The characters are weak, the writing is more of the YA variety even though I am not sure this is genre-ed in YA, but I am okay with those issues (they are why it did not get a 5-star review). I am okay because the story is fresh and modern and a lot of fun. Do I think this book will be for everybody? Certainly not. But it was a quick read that I couldn't put down; I finished it in a day. The plot was interesting and a little anti-climactic, but this is addressed. Besides, I think it is okay to be let down once in a while.

message 5: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (4) February 2nd
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
I loved this book. It was dark and dreary with beautiful scenery and a wonderful amount of character development (something I feel has been lacking in the last string of books I've read). The story is uncomfortable and the language is rough (but not out of context). The characters are a mix with real emotions. I will definitely read more of Franklin's work in the future.

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (5) February 9th
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I liked the spunk and close-to-current theme and writing style of this book. It was fun and funny and moody and interesting. I laughed a lot and pained over the embarrassing moments. The read was quick without being shallow and I loved the format of the letter-to-a-"friend." What I was not so thrilled about was the lack of vocabulary (the main speaker was "sad" a lot...really, in over half the book) and the fits of crying that took place unnecessarily. Now, the speaker addresses this inopportune and needless crying, but it doesn't make the constant sobbing less annoying. I understand the affects of sexual molestation and the witnessing of a rape; still, it always seemed out of place. In fact, all the characters were a little odd and underdeveloped. Sometimes, I didn't know why they behaved they did, or said the things they said. But I guess, neither did the speaker, as he was not to be trusted for an authentic perspective.

message 7: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments February 24th
The Diary of a Young Girl The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank

message 8: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments February 24th
Silk by Alessandro Baricco
This was stunning and interesting and captivating--everything I want in a piece of literature. The language was unique with plenty of repetition at appropriate moments, allowing for poetry in short fiction. I love it when I stumble across art that alters the way I think and feel.

message 9: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (8) March 11th
The Lover by Marguerite Duras

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (9) March 11th
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

message 11: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (10) March 15th
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) by Carolyn Keene

message 12: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (11) March 22nd
A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

message 13: by Amanda (last edited Apr 04, 2013 07:12PM) (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (12) April 3rd
A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (13) April 20
Oroonoko  by Aphra Behn

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (14) May 3
Locke and Key, Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 18 comments (15) May 5
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

message 17: by Amanda (new)