Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Book-Club Books > Call for nominations for Russian Lit poll

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
We are looking for nominations for the Russian literature poll. Let us know suggest your suggest and why you think it should make the poll. First 6-8 nominations will be in the poll

message 2: by Franky (new)

Franky How about Doctor Zhivago? I've been wanting to read this for awhile and it inspired an excellent film as well as a stellar newer adaptation.

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 37 comments Dead Souls It's one of the funniest Russian novels, and its much easier to read than most Tolstoy or Dostoevsky.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Willis Notes from Underground by Dostoyevsky. This book was written before Crime and Punishment, and a lot of what Dostoyevsky wrote in Notes later influenced C&P. And it's much shorter than C&P yet still a masterpiece.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 86 comments Lolita. It got a lot of interest in the Banned Book poll, second in votes. Seems like a lot of the group would like to read it.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Why not something like Night Watch? It doesn't have to be stuffy, old, Russian lit.

message 7: by Squirrel (new)

Squirrel (squirrelysquirrel) | 9 comments The Cherry Orchard (and possibly additional plays since that in itself would be rather short) by Chekov. It'd also be an exploration into drama.

message 8: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Kim wrote: "Why not something like Night Watch? It doesn't have to be stuffy, old, Russian lit."

I agree about the "old stuffy" thing! How about City of Thieves. Reason - aside from not old and stuffy :P - It is about the horrors of the siege of Leningrad, fairly new book, and told in a different way.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (youratlass) | 11 comments Why not do one of the long Russian classics? Why consider them stuffy?

I personally loved Anna Karenina and am planning on reading War and Peace this year either way. I would love to have some discussion to accompany it. :)

message 10: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
We have plenty nominations now, thanks

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.