Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - January 2013

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
What are you reading this month

message 2: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 My current reads are The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh and The Cook by Aussie author Wayne Macauley

Just finished a very well written book about an Internet relationship Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer. It is translated from German and a wonderful story. Was my first book finished for 2013 and was a 5 star read.

message 3: by Kim (last edited Jan 01, 2013 07:54AM) (new)

Kim This month I'm planning on reading Wool Omnibus,The Shadow of the Wind and The Sins of the Fathers.

I also will start reading some books for the challenge but haven't decided what to start with yet.

message 4: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I finished Monday Mornings by Sanjay Gupta by Sanjay Gupta yesterday morning. I really enjoyed this novel. It is actually very similar to ER. At times during reading this book, I did feel like I was reading an ER script just with different characters! The plot was interesting, gripping, well-developed and well-written. The medical lingo was easy to understand.The characters were interesting, vivid and well-developed. My only gripe about this novel was that I would have liked to learn more about what happened to the characters at the end of the novel.
My full review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Now I'm a few chapters into What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty by Liane Moriarty. Great book so far!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so happy that it's time to reread The Shadow of the Wind! I am going to read two for the challenge, Shine Shine Shine and The Marriage Plot, and a quirky and hard to find book that I've been looking forward to for a long time, Come, Thou Tortoise.

message 6: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I'm planning to read The Sins of the Fathers, Wool Omnibus (finally), The Big Nowhere, The Unbearable Lightness of Being & possibly Tropic of Cancer (if it gets returned to the library)

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm reading Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Jurassic Park, and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking . Hopefully I can finish these so that I am able to read this months LE pick, which is one I really want to read.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim Michael wrote: "Wool Omnibus (finally)"

Good man.

message 9: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Kim wrote: "Michael wrote: "Wool Omnibus (finally)"

Good man."

It's been on my shelf unread for far too long

message 10: by Mish (new)

Mish | 92 comments I'm currently reading The Shadow of the Wind (re-read for me) & Around the World in Eighty Days.

And then I plan to read The Prisoner of Heaven, A Beautiful Place To Die & Rotten Gods for my insane challenge

message 11: by M.L. (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Early January for me is graphic novel month - for the 36 genre challenge - only one is needed but since it's a new genre I've read a few more ...
Nevsky a hero of the people by Ben McCool Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 Gifted by Joss Whedon The Sign of the Four (Illustrated Classics) A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel by Ian Edginton

Currently reading Death of a Salesman - very powerful -
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Currently reading Monster Hunter International. Nothing deep; just pure fun!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading: The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4) by Charlie Higson The Sacrifice. It's book four in the series, so I'm feeling a little zombied out.

message 14: by Franky (new)

Franky Just finished The Black Flower: A Novel of the Civil War for my first book the challenge. Will be reading The Sins of the Fathers next, and finishing up on The Brothers Karamazov. I might try Simulacron 3 for the sci-fi part of the challenge.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason | 1 comments "Roughing It" by Mark Twain. Great so far. The guy is witty, vivid, and practically hands you prose to feel.

message 16: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new)

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
I just finished the secret keeper by Kate Morton. Loved it!
Now time to start on Ken Follet's winter of the world. So excited to finally be reading this

message 17: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I've finished reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty by Liane Moriarty. I really loved this novel! The plot was very intriguing, compelling and well-written with an interesting and unique premise. I loved the author's writing style. The story was very funny and some parts were quite touching and made me want to cry. The characters were all well-developed, vivid and believable. I found it easy to relate to Alice and the other characters. I was unable to put this book down for long. I was desperate to find out what was going to happen next! I gave it 5 stars!
My full view is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Now I'm about to start The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott by Kate Alcott.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

2nd book for my challenge: Trainspotting Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Currently reading Shallow Breath by Sara Foster by Aussie author Sara Foster

message 20: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 97 comments So far i'm reading Four Past Midnight, which i started over xmas and i'm reading The Three Musketeers, Anaïs: The Erotic Life of Anaïs Nin, and Alice in Deadland for the Insane Challenge.

message 21: by June (new)

June (zeineb) Re Reading The Cairo Trilogy Palace Walk / Palace of Desire / Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz byNaguib Mahfouz and finding it particularly interesting this time round in light of the events of the arab spring..

message 22: by Lorilee (new)

Lorilee (lthomas74) I am reading Joseph Anton. I am about half way through and it is very good. I am going to read Fall of Giants and The Casual Vacancy. I am nervous about the last one because the reviews are not great, but I am going to give it a try.

message 23: by Alexi (new)

Alexi | 3 comments I just finished Gone Girl and have just started The Shadow of the Wind. I've got a bookcase full of hand me down titles that I have yet to sink my teeth in to. Somehow, Sugar and Spice doesn't appeal to me... curious.

message 24: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Halfway through Peter Temple's Truth . It's very good so far :) I'm still making my through Tolstoy's War and Peace but that's going to take a while...

message 25: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Just ordered The Shadow of the Wind and A Monster Calls and bought Life of Pi and The Fault in Our Stars. For college I'm reading The Hours.

message 26: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new)

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
Lorilee, I loved Fall of Giants. Just started the sequel and super pumped about it. Hope you like it too.

message 27: by Lorilee (new)

Lorilee (lthomas74) Oh good, Mary. I am really excited to read The Fall of the Giants. I loves these epic novels!

message 28: by Andrea (last edited Jan 07, 2013 12:58PM) (new)

message 29: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I'm currently reading Wool - good book, the kind that turns non-SF readers into SF readers ...
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey

message 30: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Flash Beagle wrote: "I'm currently reading Wool - good book, the kind that turns non-SF readers into SF readers ...
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey"

Such a great book, I've almost finished it and that saddens me

message 31: by M.L. (last edited Jan 09, 2013 05:21PM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Michael wrote: "Flash Beagle wrote: "I'm currently reading Wool - good book, the kind that turns non-SF readers into SF readers ...
Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey"

Such a great book, I've almost finished it a..."

I know what you mean, I'm in a hurry to find out the 'why', but then it will be over. Are you going to read the prequels? I'm looking forward to those too.

message 32: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I will be reading the prequels

message 33: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Yesterday I finished reading The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott by Kate Alcott. I really enjoyed this novel. It was very hard to put it down. I loved all the historical details about the Titanic and its survivors. I liked this unique take on the Titanic disaster. Not many books about the Titanic sinking feature the aftermath of it and how survivors try to deal with what happened and move on. I gave it 4 stars!

I'm also about to finish Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, #12) by Janet Evanovich by Janet Evanovich and make a start on The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty by William Peter Blatty.

message 34: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I just finished reading The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty by William Peter Blatty. The Exorcist is an engrossing, gripping, disturbing and well-written supernatural tale. I really enjoyed this novel. I thought the author's writing style was excellent. I found it very hard to put this book down for long. I just had to know what happened next even though I've seen the movie half a dozen times! It didn't frighten me to death but it did scare me a good bit! Even though the book is over forty years old, except for a bit of seventies slang here and there, it really isn't dated at all. The Exorcist is one of the best horror novels that I've read in a long time. Even if you've already seen the movie a hundred times I'd recommend reading the novel as it's a lot better than the movie!

Now I'm about to start Defending Jacob by William Landay by William Landay.

message 35: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann  | 11 comments Still plugging away at The Terror and started I, Robot yesterday, enjoying both so far.

message 36: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I've just finished Defending Jacob by William Landay by William Landay. Defending Jacob is a well-written, disturbing and gripping crime thriller with plenty of twists and turns throughout the novel to keep you interested. I really enjoyed this book. I was hooked from the very beginning to the end. The reader is kept guessing as to whether Jacob is innocent or guilty until the very end of the novel. Throughout the trial I kept changing my mind about whether Jacob was guilty or not. I thought this was a excellent read so I’m giving it a well-deserved five stars!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Now I'm about to start Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford by Jamie Ford.

message 37: by Pam (last edited Jan 22, 2013 01:50PM) (new)

Pam | 63 comments My January reads are: FOUND by Jennifer Lauck; ORIGIN by Jessica Khoury; HAND OF FATE by Lis Wiehl; NO TIME LEFT by David Baldacci; SPARE CHANGE by Bette Lee Crosby and THE AGE OF INNOCENCE by Edith Wharton.

message 38: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Pam wrote: "My January reads are: FOUND by Jennifer Lauck; ORIGIN by Jessica Khoury; HAND OF FATE by Lis Wiehl; NO TIME LEFT by David Baldacci; SPARE CHANGE by Bette Lee Crosby and THE AGE OF INNOCENCE by Edi..."

Found
Origin
Hand of Fate
No Time Left
Spare Change
The Age of Innocence

Some good reads there Pam...I loved Spare Change :)

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Willis I'm currently reading Death at SeaWorld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity. It's such a good read that I've been reading it exclusively.

message 40: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I've finished reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford by Jamie Ford last night. I really loved this book! Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is a beautiful, fascinating, tender and moving story from beginning to end. Like the title suggests, the story is such a bitter-sweet tale, heartbreaking at times and so warm and sweet in others.All the characters were vivid, well-developed and realistic. I really loved the characters of Henry, Keiko and Sheldon, and really cared about what happened to them. I found it really hard to put this novel down and I look forward to reading more from this author! I gave this novel 5 Stars!

My full review is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Now I'm a few chapters into The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck by John Steinbeck.

message 41: by Godspower (new)

Godspower Samson | 1 comments i haven't decide yet.can anyone help me?

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa O'Rourke | 21 comments For January I have have so far read 'Swimming Home' by Deborah Levy, 'The Bookseller of Kabul' by Asne Seierstad, 'Howard's End is on the Landing: A Year of reading from home' by Susan Hill, 'Sam's Letters to Jennifer' by James Patterson, 'The Secret Garden' by Frances Hodgson Burnett (again) and I am curently reading 'The Missing Shade of Blue' by Jennie Erdal.

message 43: by Rohit (new)

Rohit Kumar (rohitkumar) For January, I read 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus and as a course subject, I also read a few Narnia's (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe). Late Jan, I started 'The White Tiger'. Since I joined this community these days only, from Feb onwards I will get my reading synchronized with community month-reads (I have ordered 'The Fault in our Stars' for my Feb reading).